Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And that’s different than a number of other games we played, how?

Only Donald rivals Jones’ ability imo.  Other teams DTs didn’t have to worry about the run, but they also weren’t Chris Jones physically.  I could get behind a move to center but I don’t want to see him up against chris Jones 1 on 1 in the playoffs again next season. Replace Jones with Harrison Phillips or even

ed oliver, and we had a chance to win that game.  He brought on every 3rd down.  That one matchup ruined our offense.  Give the chiefs DBs credit too, they balled out, partly due due to the refs leniency, but Jones helped them out immensely 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you mean our Pro-Bowl linebacker not being All-Pro. Tremaine didn't receive any all-pro votes this year. I think he did get a couple of votes last year, which is not a surprise... 2019 was easily his best season as a pro and actually that year there were very few balls complete over he middle on us. Teams have watched tape though and I think the "Tremaine is a phenomenal athlete but lacks recognition skills" truth is out there league wide now. 

Correct, I did mean that. Thanks!

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Only Donald rivals Jones’ ability imo.  Other teams DTs didn’t have to worry about the run, but they also weren’t Chris Jones physically.  I could get behind a move to center but I don’t want to see him up against chris Jones 1 on 1 in the playoffs again next season. Replace Jones with Harrison Phillips or even

ed oliver, and we had a chance to win that game.  He brought on every 3rd down.  That one matchup ruined our offense.  Give the chiefs DBs credit too, they balled out, partly due due to the refs leniency, but Jones helped them out immensely 

That's an experience thing, and we learned our lesson this year. We showed up soft and respectful. But the Chiefs already knew the refs keep their flags in their pockets for this game.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well... I wont be fooled again!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Good for Milano to seek a big deal. But let's see if there is a market for him or if he realizes that big long term deal might not be there for him. With a cap crunch or a possible cap flattening he might end up taking a 7-8 million dollar one year deal might be in his best interests to stay. 

I could be wrong, but I think there are still enough teams with huge excess cap and rebuilding their roster, that he'll find a buyer

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think there are still enough teams with huge excess cap and rebuilding their roster, that he'll find a buyer

I keep saying the Colts just seem like a fit. Dont know why, but thats how I see it playing out. And they have the cap space too.

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because during the regular season we still had Moss, and while we didnt run a lot, we didnt completely abandon it like we did in the playoffs.

Once we lost Moss, it was pass-only. Heck we went an entire half without a running play in the playoffs, where in the regular season we were still running effectively at the end of games to control the clock.

I don't know, we had games where we hardly ran during the regular season with Moss active, or where, as you point out - we ran effectively at the end of the game to kill clock, but worrying about the running game was not a factor for the first 2/3 of the game.

And pretty much by that point in the season, any time we were in shotgun teams had great odds that we weren't gonna run.

I think Feliciano just played a crap game against KC, although to give him his propers, Morse did reference communication issues so some of it may have been lack of communication on protection calls.  I think it's also possible he was dinged up and not going on injury report.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I keep saying the Colts just seem like a fit. Dont know why, but thats how I see it playing out. And they have the cap space too.

They'll have a similar dilemma as the Bills, which is do you pay two backers big money? Because they're going to have to pay Darius Leonard, who's entering his final year on his rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good luck throwing short of the sticks with Leonard and Milano running side to side..... luckily they currently do not have a Quarterback.... They are a QB and a proper #1 receiver (TY Hilton past it and all these bright young things look like good #2 and #3 types to me) away from being totally unstoppable. Imagine the Colts with Kenny Golladay and a dynamic rookie QB earning next to nothing..... that would be scary. 

9 minutes ago, appoo said:

They'll have a similar dilemma as the Bills, which is do you pay two backers big money? Because they're going to have to pay Darius Leonard, who's entering his final year on his rookie contract.

Exactly.  If you give Milano $14-15m per year, Leonard is gonna rightfully want $20m per year.  I can’t see any team who’s thinks they’re contenders paying Milano $14-15m per year.  His best bet for getting that kind of money is from a rebuilding team or maybe Belichik who simply likes to weaken division foes.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Good luck throwing short of the sticks with Leonard and Milano running side to side..... luckily they currently do not have a Quarterback.... They are a QB and a proper #1 receiver (TY Hilton past it and all these bright young things look like good #2 and #3 types to me) away from being totally unstoppable. Imagine the Colts with Kenny Golladay and a dynamic rookie QB earning next to nothing..... that would be scary. 

I have kind of a feeling that Fitzy might wind up with the Colts.

I could be totally wrong of course.  But the rest of the team is there, and if Rivers is hanging up his cleats and the Texans are sincere in not trading Watson, who else is out there?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have kind of a feeling that Fitzy might wind up with the Colts.

I could be totally wrong of course.  But the rest of the team is there, and if Rivers is hanging up his cleats and the Texans are sincere in not trading Watson, who else is out there?

And I doubt even if Houston trades Watson they do so in division. I think they genuinely would rather he sit out the next 4 years than face him twice per season! The other options on the market are:

1. Jimmy G - San Fran was apparently well in the market for Stafford. It is pretty clear to me that they are moving on whether that is to Watson or to a trade up and a rookie. 

2. Jared Goff - don't laugh. Detroit could still draft a guy IMO at #7. Would the Colts be willing to flip their first round pick for Goff? I just think the cost for them of moving up to draft one is likely prohibitive. Detroit, a rebuilding team, gets Indy's #1 and now have six first rounders in the next 3 drafts and a chance at #7 to take their own. Indy meanwhile has Goff at a very reasonable $26m AAV for the next 4 years. It is not as impossible as it sounds. 

3. Carson Wentz - I wouldn't do it but Reich does seem to like him. 

Watch out for the Ravens, who have very little in Cap space tied to LB, only really who run a 3-4 (Milano is basically a perfect 3-4 ILB), can cut the aging LJ Fort and save 2.3M, though they do have to replace Judon, Ngakou (either of whom I'd love with Buffalo), Willie Snead and Derek Wolf, They also have about 20M in cap space to mess around with. So they'll be looking for an EDGE and WR first, but perhaps sneak in Milano as well.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I doubt even if Houston trades Watson they do so in division. I think they genuinely would rather he sit out the next 4 years than face him twice per season! The other options on the market are:

1. Jimmy G - San Fran was apparently well in the market for Stafford. It is pretty clear to me that they are moving on whether that is to Watson or to a trade up and a rookie. 

2. Jared Goff - don't laugh. Detroit could still draft a guy IMO at #7. Would the Colts be willing to flip their first round pick for Goff? I just think the cost for them of moving up to draft one is likely prohibitive. Detroit, a rebuilding team, gets Indy's #1 and now have six first rounders in the next 3 drafts and a chance at #7 to take their own. Indy meanwhile has Goff at a very reasonable $26m AAV for the next 4 years. It is not as impossible as it sounds. 

I could see Jimmy G and a 4th rounder to the Colts for pick 21. I think the 49ers are going to want to trade for Watson and are going to want as much draft capital to make an offer. Right now their best assets are picks 12 and 43 that's not a lot of fire power to go after Watson. Pairing picks 12 and 43 with pick 21 would at least put the 49ers in competition with the bigger offers likely available from the Jets and Dolphins. If the 49ers could trade Jimmy G for pick 21 that would put the 49ers in position to offer up a possible trade package consisting of. 

Picks 12, 21, 43, 103 (Comp pick for the hiring of Saleh) and 117 in 2021.

The 49ers 1st and 3rd round picks in 2022 and a 1st and 3rd in 2023. 

That would be quite the offer for Watson, giving the Texans 4 top 103 picks in 2021 along with two future firsts and thirds to set up their future. Honestly Watson to the 49ers is my preferred outcome, it gets him out of the conference and away from the division. If I were the Texans I would prefer to get him out of the conference and while I do think the Jets and Fins could present better offers it isn't like this type of offer from the 49ers would be all that terrible. 

• Agree 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I could see Jimmy G and a 4th rounder to the Colts for pick 21. I think the 49ers are going to want to trade for Watson and are going to want as much draft capital to make an offer. Right now their best assets are picks 12 and 43 that's not a lot of fire power to go after Watson. Pairing picks 12 and 43 with pick 21 would at least put the 49ers in competition with the bigger offers likely available from the Jets and Dolphins. If the 49ers could trade Jimmy G for pick 21 that would put the 49ers in position to offer up a possible trade package consisting of. 

Picks 12, 21, 43, 103 (Comp pick for the hiring of Saleh) and 117 in 2021.

The 49ers 1st and 3rd round picks in 2022 and a 1st and 3rd in 2023. 

That would be quite the offer for Watson, giving the Texans 4 top 103 picks in 2021 along with two future firsts and thirds to set up their future. Honestly Watson to the 49ers is my preferred outcome, it gets him out of the conference and away from the division. If I were the Texans I would prefer to get him out of the conference and while I do think the Jets and Fins could present better offers it isn't like this type of offer from the 49ers would be all that terrible. 

Agree. My only and I mean only nervousness about it (I am convinced the 49ers will at least make a call) is whether Shanny thinks Deshaun is a bit too much of a free spirit for his scheme. Look at the QBs Shanny has success with. Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, Jimmy G, even Brian Hoyer in Cleveland. They play in the confines of the offense. I wonder if Shanny looks at Watson and says "man he might be a bit too much of a loose cannon for my perfectly curated scheme for me to feel like giving up that much." My hope is he realises that nowadays in the NFL you just gotta have the badest mofo you can get your hands on behind center and then fix the system to them. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Agree. My only and I mean only nervousness about it (I am convinced the 49ers will at least make a call) is whether Shanny thinks Deshaun is a bit too much of a free spirit for his scheme. Look at the QBs Shanny has success with. Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, Jimmy G, even Brian Hoyer in Cleveland. They play in the confines of the offense. I wonder if Shanny looks at Watson and says "man he might be a bit too much of a loose cannon for my perfectly curated scheme for me to feel like giving up that much." My hope is he realises that nowadays in the NFL you just gotta have the badest mofo you can get your hands on behind center and then fix the system to them. 

Watson is a smart player and such a dynamic, he will adapt to any system. I never thought of him as a "freelancer" like Mike Vick or other QB's that played a more loose style. Watson to me plays smart but then adapts when thing breakdown I hope for his sake he ends up as a 49er. I think the Dolphins might be the best spot long term for him as they have an overwhelming amount of capital (they could offer picks 3, 18, 36 and a 4th in 2021 and a 1st and 3rd in 2022 and a 2nd in 2023) and a team that is ready to win now and for the next 3 seasons. The Jets giving up picks 2, 22, and 66 in 2021 and a pair of first round picks in 2022 along with a 3rd in 2023 is another compelling offer but I think the Jets would be a year away with Watson. 

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder if "top dollar" was part of discussion where Milano said he'd need "top dollars to switch teams".

He hasn't made very much money in his NFL career, I think he wants all the money he can get. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Watson is a smart player and such a dynamic, he will adapt to any system. I never thought of him as a "freelancer" like Mike Vick or other QB's that played a more loose style. Watson to me plays smart but then adapts when thing breakdown I hope for his sake he ends up as a 49er.

I agree but I think compared to Kyle Shanahan QBs (I forgot to add Kirk Cousins to the list) Watson is definitely at the "freelancer" end of the spectrum. To me Shanny has to get over that but he does have a reputation as an arrogant know all. Reportedly one of the reasons the Pegulas took against him in the 2015 interview round and refused to consider him in 2017. 

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He hasn't made very much money in his NFL career, I think he wants all the money he can get. 

That does mean he is not aiming for money just that he may decide to sign a short term contract with Buffalo if this is a bad contract year for him due to injuries and reduced cap.

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see Reich going for Jimmy G or Jared Goff, TBH.

But I hadn't thought about Wentz.  Yeah, that's a possiblity depending upon how Nick Sirianni sees him.

Nick Sirianni - the Colts former OC.  Hmmmmm.

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That does mean he is not aiming for money just that he may decide to sign a short term contract with Buffalo if this is a bad contract year for him due to injuries and reduced cap.

I agree, he could very well sign a one year 6-8 million dollar deal with the Bills and opt to hit the market with a larger cap. No use taking a longer term deal if the deal is in that aav range and the guarantee is minimal. But he is going to want to get paid. It is more so a matter of is his market good enough to out punt a solid one year deal from the Bills that allows him to hit a bigger market in 2022.