Johnson and Johnson vaccine shows real promise

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm just pissed at the way the whole thing was handled.  There was no time for studies: we were up against the wall and there was NOTHING ELSE available to combat it.  Meanwhile research had been done into HCQ and it's mechanism of action years before Trump even took office, and it's safety had been well-established.  Then all of a sudden it became the most dangerous drug in the world and Trump just whipped it out of his ass because he has stock in it. :rolleyes:

There were other treatments, most notably dexamethasone,  has in, which makes sense as an anti-inflammatory.  Studies were done with HCQ and did not show benefit in patients hospitalized for COVID and thus was not approved by the FDA.   The science is straightforward.  

As I’m sure you know, physicians can still prescribe it off label if they want.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

There were other treatments, most notably dexamethasone,  has in, which makes sense as an anti-inflammatory.  Studies were done with HCQ and did not show benefit in patients hospitalized for COVID and thus was not approved by the FDA.   The science is straightforward.  

As I’m sure you know, physicians can still prescribe it off label if they want.

Dexamethasone was found to be effective relatively late.  And I agree that HCQ isn't good for hospitalized patients because the body's immune system is overwhelmed by the time the patient requires admission.

Again the idea was preventing infection/keeping patients out of the hospital.  In the face of no treatments in the beginning.  When HCQ was perfectly safe and COVID could kill.

Edited by Doc

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dexamethasone was found to be effective relatively late.  And I agree that HCQ isn't good for hospitalized patients because the body's immune system is overwhelmed by the time the patient requires admission.

Again the idea was preventing infection/keeping patients out of the hospital.  In the face of no treatments in the beginning.  When HCQ was perfectly safe and COVID could kill.

Prevention was masks, hand washing, and distancing.  Still is.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:46 PM, Tenhigh said:

Where did this come from?

It was widely reported, and discussed here in early December, that Pfizer had offered to sell the US an additional 100 million doses before entering into contracts with other countries.  Those offers were turned down.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

There was little to nothing to say that HCQ could prevent infection or keep patients out of the hospital.  There still isn't.  The way to prove its effectiveness is to perform a double blind study.

I agree that it was poorly handled.  It was hyped repeatedly by POTUS and caused shortages for people who actually needed the medication for other illnesses.

• Eyeroll 1

On 1/31/2021 at 7:16 PM, Tenhigh said:

200 million Pfizer doses with option to purchase up to 400 million more. HHS

That alone will cover the US. 

Here is another 200 million doses of Moderna.  Also HHS

500 Million Astrazeneca and 100 Million Johnson and Johnson.  CNBC

cc:  @Doc

Bumped for @Scraps

BillStime made something up, no? 

Edited by Tenhigh

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Bumped for @Scraps

BillStime made something up, no? 

The dates on those links are after it came public that the Trump administration had turned down Pfizer's offer.  Those links also don't say when the US will get the extra doses from Moderna and Pfizer.  The Pfizer offer was to provide the additional 100 doses before fulfilling orders from other countries.  When the Trump administration upped the order, Pfizer said they would have to fulfil other orders before delivering the additional 100 million to the US.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 9:02 AM, oldmanfan said:

Data is out apparently on the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.  It shows 72% effectiveness against developing either moderate or severe disease after Covid infection, and 85% against sever disease.  It may not be as effective against the South African variant, but deaths were essentially eliminated with this vaccine.  Side effects are very, very minimal.  .  It's not an mRNA virus like the two currently available; it is an adenovirus (cold virus) engineered to produce the Covid spike protein.  And major advantages include that it is a single dose vaccine, and that it can be stored t room temperature.  

I hope the administration gets this vaccine out to the states as quickly as possible.  While 72% effectiveness may seem low compared to the 95% of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, it is still a comparatively very good response as opposed to, say, annual flu vaccines that vary in effectiveness based on the strain.  With these 3 approaches we should be able to get enough folks inoculated to get things back to normal this year.  

Do you have any links to this info ? Much appreciated if you do ...

I'm in the entertainment transportation business and it's been told to me that if we want to go into Canada they will be mandating those coming in have the vaccine and our company has to have it on file to show in the paper work before we go .