BULLETIN!!!

Ever look at some of Mel's draft reports from year's past? Ever follow-up on some of his predictions? I could have his same record of picking drafts if I used a dart board. So don't flip out if TD picks a guy Mel Kiper had rated low, or doesn't pick a guy he rates high. Because the odds are 50-50 he's right anyway.

PTR

Kiper has certainly lost his edge.

He is such a part of the 'establishment" now that he has become very vanilla.

Backing this up one needs to only look at the video montage they did of his "best moments" There was nothing on there from the last 10 years.

I much prefer Mike Mayock from the NFL Total Access show.

Here's Kiper's bio. He's a community college product who watches lots of football on satellite. Pretty impressive.

Mel Kiper Jr.

ESPN Football Analyst

Mel Kiper Jr. has served as an expert analyst for ESPN's annual NFL draft coverage since 1984, providing in-depth information on the nation's most talented college football players. His pre-draft predictions are frequently the most accurate in the business, often as much as 80 percent correct on first-round selections. He also has a Web page (www.espn.go.com/melkiper), linked off of ESPN.com, that launched in 2000.

Kiper is also analyst for "College GameDay" on ESPN Radio, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturdays throughout the season. Additionally, he is a frequent contributor to ESPN's award-winning "SportsCenter" during the NFL and college football seasons and provides occasional updates throughout the year.

Kiper is president of Kiper Enterprises, which he founded in 1981 while in college. It is responsible for all aspects of a series of annual publications including the "NFL Draft Report" and "Draft Preview."

His continuous, yearlong research is aided by an office equipped with satellite dishes allowing him to pick up 20 to 25 college games each week. This adds to his in-depth knowledge gathered from lengthy discussions with coaches, players and team executives.

Kiper, born July 25, 1960, attended Essex Community College in Baltimore.

Ever look at some of Mel's draft reports from year's past?  Ever follow-up on some of his predictions?  I could have his same record of picking drafts if I used a dart board.  So don't flip out if TD picks a guy Mel Kiper had rated low, or doesn't pick a guy he rates high.  Because the odds are 50-50 he's right anyway.

PTR

316744[/snapback]

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!

The main thing I don't like about Kiper's Draft Report is that he pumps up each guy's profile with a rehash of his career and gives very little data on his strengths & weaknesses.

It's what guys like dave Te' Thomas call a comic book.

Here's Kiper's bio.  He's a community college product who watches lots of football on satellite.  Pretty impressive. 

Mel Kiper Jr.

ESPN Football Analyst

Mel Kiper Jr. has served as an expert analyst for ESPN's annual NFL draft coverage since 1984, providing in-depth information on the nation's most talented college football players. His pre-draft predictions are frequently the most accurate in the business, often as much as 80 percent correct on first-round selections. He also has a Web page (www.espn.go.com/melkiper), linked off of ESPN.com, that launched in 2000.

Kiper is also analyst for "College GameDay" on ESPN Radio, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturdays throughout the season. Additionally, he is a frequent contributor to ESPN's award-winning "SportsCenter" during the NFL and college football seasons and provides occasional updates throughout the year.

Kiper is president of Kiper Enterprises, which he founded in 1981 while in college. It is responsible for all aspects of a series of annual publications including the "NFL Draft Report" and "Draft Preview."

His continuous, yearlong research is aided by an office equipped with satellite dishes allowing him to pick up 20 to 25 college games each week. This adds to his in-depth knowledge gathered from lengthy discussions with coaches, players and team executives.

Kiper, born July 25, 1960, attended Essex Community College in Baltimore.

317028[/snapback]

So. It's entertainment man. I suppose all the NFL scouts have PhD's :(

Ever look at some of Mel's draft reports from year's past?  Ever follow-up on some of his predictions?  I could have his same record of picking drafts if I used a dart board.  So don't flip out if TD picks a guy Mel Kiper had rated low, or doesn't pick a guy he rates high.  Because the odds are 50-50 he's right anyway.

PTR

316744[/snapback]

He made a good call on Rogers going into a free fall if Miami didn't take him and made that prediction last week.

So.  It's entertainment man.  I suppose all the NFL scouts have PhD's  :(

317244[/snapback]

Yeah, but it's too much fun to be cynical about his self-described qualifications to be a draft guru. I mean, he lists the fact that he has satellite tv and watches 20-25 games per week. I'll bet a lot of people on this board beat that. In his resume, he lists nothing about playing, coaching or scouting for any football team at any level.

Yeah, but it's too much fun to be cynical about his self-described qualifications to be a draft guru.  I mean, he lists the fact that he has satellite tv and watches 20-25 games per week.  I'll bet a lot of people on this board beat that.  In his resume, he lists nothing about playing, coaching or scouting for any football team at any level.

317279[/snapback]

I had a lot of respect for the late Joel Buschbaum, and so did a lot of other NFL personnel men. He was the geekiest guy you ever saw, but he made a lot of good calls watching tapes in his apartment.

It's still about gut feel and intangibles, and nobody has a monopoly on that yet...including the NFL. Just look at all the bonehead picks made each year by the "professionals."

i like Mel Kiper.

so he is 50/50 on his reports at best.

have you looked at the Bills last few drafts?

I like Tom Donahoe too but I would take 50/50 over the TD's ratio from the past few years.

PTR

316744[/snapback]

Hey, he knew Trev Alberts was a baaaaaaaadddddd pick. Mel's a God! :(

Kiper can easily recite 40 times, bench presses and other measurable stats, but he cannot attend the combine, have the players in for private workouts or spend the millions of dollars the NFL teams spend on scouting. No NFL teams read his report to decide who to take.

He brags that he predicted 75 or 80 % of the first round, but who couldn't? By the time the draft comes around, everybody knows who the top players are.