ESPN - Slipping a little bit yesterday

I was really not impressed with the producers, the broadcasters, graphics, and just the way it was done as a whole. It is a tremendous project that ESPN undertakes to orchestrate this event year after year, but in comparison to others i thought the production value took a big hit and made it a less enjoyable day (regardless of Bills picks) than it has been over the past few years.

Anyone else feel the same?

I noticed this too. It just seem very unorganized, as compared to the last few years. Plus, that stupid stock-ticker noise is amazingly annoying.

They should have team specific noises, depending on who picks. Like say, whenever the Browns get to pick, use a sound clip of heavy sobbing and Oaf Dog yelling "WHY GOD, WHY!?". For the Jets, just use boos...it'll simulate reality.

Particularly that. they seemed way behind in getting info on picks in comparsion to prior years, and the way they scrolled the picks wasn't helpful. I felt short changed on information because i didn't have a computer nearby to see draft order, future picks, previous picks, kiper's board, postional stuff. It was there, but not nearly as often as i would have liked.

i agree.

SEVERAL times in the 2nd round and on, they would go to commercial.

and a team would pick.

and when we came back they WOULDNT TELL US WHO WAS PICKED.

they woudl just go on and talk about some player who they liked or whatever.

i had to look it up online. that was NOT cool.

who a team picks shoudl be the first thing they said when comming back from a commercial.

Agreed. There's simply too many people they have to cut to. I liked it better when it was just Berman, Mortensen, Kiper. Cutting over to Suzy Kolber, Andrea Kramer, Golic, Hoge, Wingo, Jaworski, and the other meathead players is ridiculous waste of time. It was so much better when they actually talked about each team when they were on the clock.

I think the graphics this year were better, but thats about it. The crowd lacked the energy that last years provided, Torry Holt added little to nothing, teams used their entire 15 minute slot, this years talent was poor outside the first 10 selections, the player interviews were boring, the music playing over the PA at the Javits Center was cheesy, Kiper/Berman/Mort looked lost at times etc. Compound that with the fact that Buffalo had no pick in the first round...

Overall, this year was boring.

also i noticed:

"with the 47th pick the J.E.T.S. JETS sellect....."

WTF was that??

why didnt he just let a jets fan read the pick...

but the expression on the fans faces when they took a Kicker made up for it.

I was really not impressed with the producers, the broadcasters, graphics, and just the way it was done as a whole.  It is a tremendous project that ESPN undertakes to orchestrate this event year after year, but in comparison to others i thought the production value took a big hit and made it a less enjoyable day (regardless of Bills picks) than it has been over the past few years.

Anyone else feel the same?

316678[/snapback]

I agree totally.

I especially did not like the lack of a constant ticker. Usually there is a scrolling list of the current round going by constantly. Plus the crew seemed especially rusty this year. And why Merrill Hoge is gainfully employed will forever escape me.

Overall.....C-

also i noticed:

"with the 47th pick the J.E.T.S. JETS sellect....."

WTF was that??

why didnt he just let a jets fan read the pick...

but the expression on the fans faces when they took a Kicker made up for it.

316694[/snapback]

My favorite reaction so far has got to be the Vikings fans when they took Williamson over Williams. That one guy dressed up as Viking gave his shield a gentle pat with his hammer, then lowered his head sadly...it was a hilarious moment.

I don't understand why ESPN bothers to do the whole 'intro' thing right at the beginning of the draft with the players introducing themselves on the stock market floor. Who is that for? People who haven't considered watching the draft but might now that they know what it's all about?

Seriously, you don't have to sell me on watching the draft, I'm already watching it so just cut the crap.

I did enjoy Torry Holt being the absolute last person on earth to understand Chris Berman's joke about that guy, Incognito, who was drafted yesterday. It took him about a half hour to understand why Berman said he "slipped by" other teams without drawing attention to himself. *sigh*

My favorite reaction so far has got to be the Vikings fans when they took Williamson over Williams.  That one guy dressed up as Viking gave his shield a gentle pat with his hammer, then lowered his head sadly...it was a hilarious moment.

316698[/snapback]

That was as funny as it gets. I mentioned their fake enthusiasm in the "Draft Thread" when it happened. Minnesota invited 4,000 people to their draft party and not one knew how to react to that pick.

If I remember right, the guy next to the guy with the shield and hammer couldn't decide whether to give the camera a thumbs up or thumbs down so he half-heartedly did both.

I especially did not like the lack of a constant ticker. Usually there is a scrolling list of the current round going by constantly

The ESPN coverage (first half of day one, all of day 2) had that for the most part, but ESPN2 completely scrapped it. BAD idea.

Then for about an hour on day two, ESPN feels that it's more important to use the entire strip at the bottom of the screen to warn us that Maurice Clarret's press conference is coming up, than to let us know which players have actually been drafted.

Then for about an hour on day two, ESPN feels that it's more important to use the entire strip at the bottom of the screen to warn us that Maurice Clarret's press conference is coming up, then to let us know which players have actually been drafted.

316750[/snapback]

:devil:

My favorite reaction so far has got to be the Vikings fans when they took Williamson over Williams.  That one guy dressed up as Viking gave his shield a gentle pat with his hammer, then lowered his head sadly...it was a hilarious moment.

316698[/snapback]

Shots of Viking fans and their lame celebrations was the highlight of day one by far

I did enjoy Torry Holt being the absolute last person on earth to understand Chris Berman's joke about that guy, Incognito, who was drafted yesterday.  It took him about a half hour to understand why Berman said he "slipped by" other teams without drawing attention to himself.  *sigh*

Holt was probably just shocked that any self-respecting human being would go to so much trouble to make a pun joke based on a guy's last name.

Honestly, it's a college draft. Give me the info, and spare me the foolish stand-up act.

The ESPN coverage (first half of day one, all of day 2) had that for the most part, but ESPN completely scrapped it.  BAD idea.

Yeah I did notice it went away when the coverage switched to the deuce.

Then for about an hour on day two, ESPN feels that it's more important to use the entire strip at the bottom of the screen to warn us that Maurice Clarret's press conference is coming up, then to let us know which players have actually been drafted.

:devil::) For sure....