Trump Impeachment 2.0

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Those people are being prosecuted. Do you believe the people who looted the Best Buy just needed to be heard? Come on people! This works both ways. On the one hand, they painted a street and congressional representatives knelt down in the rotunda. And on the other hand....

Some are.  And some judges are letting those who were arrested at the Capitol go off on vacations.  Those judges should be impeached in my opinion.

Can we stop with the comparisons to the summer incidents by the way?  Speaking for myself and many others,  those who looted and such in the protests in the summer should also be in jail.  But there is a fundamental difference in protests for racial equality and a storming of the Capitol to try and overturn the results of a federal election.  One is sedition, one is not.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Those people are being prosecuted. Do you believe the people who looted the Best Buy just needed to be heard? Come on people! This works both ways. On the one hand, they painted a street and congressional representatives knelt down in the rotunda. And on the other hand....

The should be prosecuted?  You said they merely wanted someone to listen to them.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

The should be prosecuted?  You said they merely wanted someone to listen to them.

Correct. But those who broke into the capital did it the wrong way. Just like the people who burned and looted did it the wrong way. Just like the people who threw objects at police did it the wrong way. Just like the people who threatened the Supreme Court did it the wrong way. Just like the people who occupied the Wisconsin State House did it the way.  Do you see a theme here?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Correct. But those who broke into the capital did it the wrong way. Just like the people who burned and looted did it the wrong way. Just like the people who threw objects at police did it the wrong way. Just like the people who threatened the Supreme Court did it the wrong way. Just like the people who occupied the Wisconsin State House did it the way.  Do you see a theme here?

And you don’t believe the person inciting this behavior should be held accountable?

If BLM had a leader and that leader was like go riot the streets or spread false information like Mitch McConnel still owns slaves take that information and do with it what you will, you wouldn’t think that person deserves some repercussions?

3 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

And you don’t believe the person inciting this behavior should be held accountable?

If BLM had a leader and that leader was like go riot the streets or spread false information like Mitch McConnel still owns slaves take that information and do with it what you will, you wouldn’t think that person deserves some repercussions?

We can make a further analogy.

Imagine if a figure head of BLM stood near McConnels house. Gave a speech saying McConnel still owns slaves and hunts persons of color for fun. We’re going to March over there and fight it.

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No.  There is a way to contest election by recounts, investigations of claims of voter fraud and through the courts.  Those were tried and turned up nothing to change the outcome of a free and fair election.  Storming the capitol was not simply "the wrong way".  It was an insurrection.  The people who stormed the capitol are traitors.

Edited by Scraps

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

No.  There is a way to contest election by recounts, investigations of voter fraud and through the courts.  Those were tried and turned up nothing to change the outcome of a free and fair election.  Storming the capitol was not simply "the wrong way".  It was an insurrection.  The people who stormed the capitol are traitors.

Traitors? I call them patriots. 

Just now, Scraps said:

I guess its good to know that you don't believe in democracy or our constitution. 

No I firmly believe in both. The "fortified" election, the season of "mostly peaceful" protests, the defunding of the police, the cancel culture, and now this sham of an impeachment of a person who no longer holds office of any kind? Where was our democracy then? Where is our Constitution now? 

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I guess its good to know that you don't believe in democracy or our constitution. Congrats, traitor.

I absolutely believe in both.  We had a free and fair election.  Biden won.  And then people tried to take down the Capitol to prevent the election results from being confirmed.

The House impeached the president over it while he was occupying the office, and the Senate now tries him as is laid out in the Constitution.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I absolutely believe in both.  We had a free and fair election.  Biden won.  And then people tried to take down the Capitol to prevent the election results from being confirmed.

The House impeached the president over it while he was occupying the office, and the Senate now tries him as is laid out in the Constitution.

Bend that Constitution until it morphs into what you want it to mean.

Just now, wnyguy said:

No I firmly believe in both. The "fortified" election, the season of "mostly peaceful" protests, the defunding of the police, the cancel culture, and now this sham of an impeachment of a person who no longer holds office of any kind? Where was our democracy then? Where is our Constitution now? 

This cancel culture stuff is just nonsense.  Private companies decide to not publish or support certain political views because they know it will interfere with their profitability.  That is called business.  The number of people in this country who claim that their constitutional rights are violated who have no idea about the constitution is incredible.

Our Constitution stands now as it has stood throughout history.  people need to quite bastardizing it to try and fit their political agenda.

And defund the police was stupid, and cost the Democrats seats in the House.  

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

Bend that Constitution until it morphs into what you want it to mean.

You really don't understand our Constitution.  

2 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

This is pure deflection because you can't defend the insurrection.  

57 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Roberts isn’t presiding because Trump isn’t President: 

“When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside”

The President isn’t being tried therefore the Chief Justice doesn’t have to preside.

If Trump isn't President the Senate has no authority to hold a trial.   If he is they can try him.  But he's not the President.  And the impeachment articles were presented to the Senate after the buzzer sounded and Trump's term ended.  Its not mix and match circumstances to get it to work the way you want.  The issue is the grey area around interpretation of the meaning of "the President". 

But as I said in my original comment.  It doesn't matter as 45 Senators voted that the trial is unconstitutional.  Does anyone think a single one of them will vote to convict based on their belief the trial is illegal?  55-45 next week and game over. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If Trump isn't President the Senate has no authority to hold a trial.   If he is they can try him.  But he's not the President.  And the impeachment articles were presented to the Senate after the buzzer sounded and Trump's term ended.  Its not mix and match circumstances to get it to work the way you want.  The issue is the grey area around interpretation of the meaning of "the President".

Great, so an incumbent loser is free to do anything to maintain power by that logic.

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

This is pure deflection because you can't defend the insurrection.  

That's because there was no insurrection. None. 

Just now, Scraps said:

Great, so an incumbent loser is free to do anything to maintain power by that logic.

How has President Trump maintained power? If you do a little research Joe Biden is currently holding the office of the Presidency. 

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

But as I said in my original comment.  It doesn't matter as 45 Senators voted that the trial is unconstitutional.  Does anyone think a single one of them will vote to convict based on their belief the trial is illegal?  55-45 next week and game over. 

First, he was impeached while president and I think the House managers did a good job explaining why the Senate then has to have a trial.  I have a gut feeling McConnel is going to vote to convict.  And that he'll drag enough with him.  

I agree this is about politics.  And I think McConnel sees that, if the Republican party remains attached at the hip to Trump and is pictured as the party of Rep Greene, that the Republican party of McConnel will be gone.  And that the Republican party will have no chance to take back the senate, House, or Oval.  Bottom line is that the Republicans lost all 3 of those under Trump.  McConnel may make the ultimate power play to rip off the Band Aid and get rid of Trump so he Republican party can act like Republicans again.