How the referees helped cause the offensive explosion this year(article)

Big Turk

Very interesting...penalties WAY down...graph of offensive penalties versus points is pretty clear to see the correlation...interesting to see if the NFL instructs refs to continue calling games like this or goes back to the old way like the NHL did...

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nfl-broke-scoring-records-in-2020-referees-were-responsible-165936553.html

The 2020 NFL season smashed scoring records, and it wasn't just because of prolific offenses. Referees helped, too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Very interesting...penalties WAY down...graph of offensive penalties versus points is pretty clear to see the correlation...interesting to see if the NFL instructs refs to continue calling games like this or goes back to the old way like the NHL did...

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nfl-broke-scoring-records-in-2020-referees-were-responsible-165936553.html

The 2020 NFL season smashed scoring records, and it wasn't just because of prolific offenses. Referees helped, too.

Definitely felt like holding was down across the board this year.  Usually the refs go flag crazy in the preseason to reinforce any changes, but with no preseason i think the directive was get the flag numbers down.

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Definitely felt like holding was down across the board this year.  Usually the refs go flag crazy in the preseason to reinforce any changes, but with no preseason i think the directive was get the flag numbers down.

The question is...does the NFL like this version of itself more? I would imagine yes...points and touchdowns are what people want to see for the most part, especially the casual fans they are trying to capture.  Will they go back or not? I say no.

Edited by Big Turk

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The question is...does the NFL like this version of itself more? I would imagine yes...points and touchdowns are what people want to see for the most part, especially the casual fans they are trying to capture.  Will they go back or not? I say no.

I'd think yes - offense is better for fans.  I wonder how much the offensive improvement might also be attributed to lack of fans.  I feel like false starts are down as well as Offside being up.  

i imagine it is a spectrum and will continue to go back and forth over time.

right now, holding way down. olinemen getting away with more I surmise. if that goes too far one way, they can easily balance it out with more flags/holding calls. 

like baseball curating the competition with rules/ball manipulation, etc.

The number of holding penalties earlier in the year was waaay down early on.. the the last half of the season it was much closer to normal. However, that is because in previous years holding penalties were always waaaay higher during the 1st half of the season. So this season, the number of penalties was relatively even throughout the whole year compared to previous season where the first few weeks have a way higher number of holding penalties. 

I think refs will always revert to their predilections. Look at at specific "crews" history. If they call a lot of pass interference, regardless of league directives they will call a lot of pass interference. The directives from the league may have a short term impact, but barring real rewards or consequences for not following the league directive, the refs will slide back. I don't think it will get back to the some of the extremes where you had more than twice as many holding penalties in the first few weeks of the season compared to the latter weeks, but I do think there will be a more limited increase in the first few weeks next season. 

When it came out that the league was pushing this, I said it sucked for the Bills because they bet on quicker, penetrating players who were more adversely affected by the lack of holding calls. The league should have communicated this out back in March to let teams make their decisions with his in mind.