Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At this stage of the season with a vet team I think it's a push, I think.  On the one hand, less wear-and-tear.  On the other hand, it's one thing to recognize and react to a pattern on a walk-through, it's another to do it at speed.

It's fairly standard for teams on a short week I think.  

Bangedup Bills has his injury assessment up:

https://bangedupbills.com/

About Beasley:

There is no video present of running, jumping, or cutting at full speed to indicate how he will perform. While he doesn’t need the practice, it is concerning whether he was available for the offensive game plan installation. I simply don’t know if he plays. On one hand, it’s the playoffs, if you don’t win, you’re done. But does the team want to risk aggravating his injury and losing him for the remainder of the postseason?

If Beasley does play, I would expect he has difficulty running his routes to the right and having to cut on a dime to that direction having to push off the left knee. I would also expect him to have difficulty with jumping and getting yards after the catch to move the chains. In addition, he would be going up against one of the best slot corners in the NFL in Kenny Moore. Going up against a healthy slot corner with Beasley not being 100% makes me question whether it’s worth getting him out there. Can he tough it out and play? Absolutely, but it doesn’t mean it may be the best option.

About the Colts, people are speaking of their OL as a strength of the team, but is it? Emphasis mine.....

OUT: T Will Holden (Ankle) 

While Holden is the backup right tackle, the loss of him leaves the Colts very thin at the tackle position in general. They’ve already lost Anthony Constanzo to season-ending ankle surgery and lost his backup La’Raven Clark to a torn Achilles right after. 

They are down to their 3rd string tackle Chaz Green and anyone backing him up will be coming from the practice squad or playing out of position. The Pittsburgh Steelers managed to sack Phillip Rivers 5 times, who is dealing with an injury of his own, so he can be pressured. The Bills could potentially use part of that game plan for success. 

QUESTIONABLE: DT Deforest Buckner (Ankle)

He originally injured his ankle a few days before Christmas on the 17th, played through it, and has had some great games including a 3-sack performance days after the injury. He either had a high ankle from getting his heel hit or a bad inversion ankle sprain; either or it hasn’t stopped him.

The fact that he is that far out from the original injury and continues to play indicates that he will play Saturday and I would expect that he still gets his numbers.

Their line is beat up.  To off set this they use quickness.  Bills defense will be in for a test.   Look for a short passing game and Taylor running 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, Reich said that they did 2 walk-thrus and only one practice this week, though they did extend the practice time.  Said he felt it was right because with the short week they can cover a lot more plays with a walk-thru and also that the players needed the extra rest.

He said he always feels confident but some weeks he feels super-confident.  Then he got cute and said "I'm not saying which way I feel this week" but he rather implied he felt super confident.

His DC Eberflaus also came across as "Josh Allen no big deal, we played Deshawn Watson twice"

For what its worth, I would expect coaches to show confidence going into a game. 

Plus, for old Eberflaus, Watson was a fumble at the goal line away from beating the Colts and in their second meeting they loss again when Coutee fumbled at the goal line to tie the game as well.

2 hours ago, Pokebball said:

He picked a position on Josh and the Bills and stubbornly dug in.  He moves the goalposts more than anyone in sports media.  There are enough facts these days for anyone to pick and chose and present facts, out of context, to support any position.  That is all he's left with anymore.

I dread the day he becomes a Josh and Bills supporter.  Nothing but bad juju can come from it.

No worries.  He will stick to his viewpoint, hammer and tongs.

4 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

For what its worth, I would expect coaches to show confidence going into a game. 

Plus, for old Eberflaus, Watson was a fumble at the goal line away from beating the Colts and in their second meeting they loss again when Coutee fumbled at the goal line to tie the game as well.

I mean, Watson's stats didn't look as though he were too shut down to me.

Watson is a great QB.  I don't like it when we can't love our own guy without putting another talented player down.

I just went back and watched a Watson highlight video and then some Allen highlights.  This is one where my self-taught football background rears its head, because I understand the similarities but they just look like different players for whom you might need a different strategy to me, but I can't figure out how to express it.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At this stage of the season with a vet team I think it's a push, I think.  On the one hand, less wear-and-tear.  On the other hand, it's one thing to recognize and react to a pattern on a walk-through, it's another to do it at speed.

It's fairly standard for teams on a short week I think.  

Bangedup Bills has his injury assessment up:

https://bangedupbills.com/

About Beasley:

There is no video present of running, jumping, or cutting at full speed to indicate how he will perform. While he doesn’t need the practice, it is concerning whether he was available for the offensive game plan installation. I simply don’t know if he plays. On one hand, it’s the playoffs, if you don’t win, you’re done. But does the team want to risk aggravating his injury and losing him for the remainder of the postseason?

If Beasley does play, I would expect he has difficulty running his routes to the right and having to cut on a dime to that direction having to push off the left knee. I would also expect him to have difficulty with jumping and getting yards after the catch to move the chains. In addition, he would be going up against one of the best slot corners in the NFL in Kenny Moore. Going up against a healthy slot corner with Beasley not being 100% makes me question whether it’s worth getting him out there. Can he tough it out and play? Absolutely, but it doesn’t mean it may be the best option.

About the Colts, people are speaking of their OL as a strength of the team, but is it? Emphasis mine.....

OUT: T Will Holden (Ankle) 

While Holden is the backup right tackle, the loss of him leaves the Colts very thin at the tackle position in general. They’ve already lost Anthony Constanzo to season-ending ankle surgery and lost his backup La’Raven Clark to a torn Achilles right after. 

They are down to their 3rd string tackle Chaz Green and anyone backing him up will be coming from the practice squad or playing out of position. The Pittsburgh Steelers managed to sack Phillip Rivers 5 times, who is dealing with an injury of his own, so he can be pressured. The Bills could potentially use part of that game plan for success. 

QUESTIONABLE: DT Deforest Buckner (Ankle)

He originally injured his ankle a few days before Christmas on the 17th, played through it, and has had some great games including a 3-sack performance days after the injury. He either had a high ankle from getting his heel hit or a bad inversion ankle sprain; either or it hasn’t stopped him.

The fact that he is that far out from the original injury and continues to play indicates that he will play Saturday and I would expect that he still gets his numbers.

It won’t be chaz green. It is Jared Veldheer. He came out of retirement 2 weeks ago and played well last week so he’s got the start again. He’s not costanzo but it could be worse. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Watson is a great QB.  I don't like it when we can't love our own guy without putting another talented player down.

I just went back and watched a Watson highlight video and then some Allen highlights.  This is one where my self-taught football background rears its head, because I understand the similarities but they just look like different players for whom you might need a different strategy to me, but I can't figure out how to express it.

I agree about Watson. Whats nice if Lawrence goes to Jacksonville and does well, you'll have 4 teams beating each other up.

36 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The Bills inability to stop the run is a myth.  Since week 9 they are like 7th in the league and Travis Henry had his worst game against the Bills.

They will reasonably contain Taylor. 

Travis is still playing?😳 Must have new child support payments..

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It won’t be chaz green. It is Jared Veldheer. He came out of retirement 2 weeks ago and played well last week so he’s got the start again. He’s not costanzo but it could be worse. 

OK, they pulled in a "break glass in emergency" guy.  Veldheer is a good player so that's jam for the Colts.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the second half will be tough on Veldheer

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

😂

Love it! 

But why is Chad Johnson in a box at a Bills game during the pandemic? 

Seriously, I’m super curious. I didn’t even think families were in the stadium. No fans seems to be no fans. 

(Also, closing down the thread for this was silly. It’s not actually related to the Indy game)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This may be totally unfair to Watson. But he seems slower to process reads and make decisions. It’s unfair because his release time/time to throw is pretty good (better than Josh’s). But he strikes me this year, at least, as more hesitant as to where he wants to go with the ball. And I think Josh’s higher release time is indicative of his better ability to extend plays. (The other guys with the same numbers are Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield— who both also are effective at buying more time).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Love it! 

Seriously, I’m super curious. I didn’t even think families were in the stadium. No fans seems to be no fans. 

(Also, closing down the thread for this was silly. It’s not actually related to the Indy game)

I was wondering the same thing, both why he was there and why on earth you guys shut that thread down lol

Edited by Tuel Time
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Love it! 

5 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

I was wondering the same thing, both why he was there and why on earth you guys shut that thread down lol

I third the notion of wondering why a thread got locked because someone mentioned the topic in the completely unrelated 60+ page game thread.  I don't want to have to wade through literally dozens of pages to discuss a topic you wouldn't even expect to find there.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, wjag said:

The fact that Indy faced Watson is interesting.  So I went and looked at their most meaningful stats.

Game 1:  Colts win 26-20 

Watson: 343 yards passing, 0 TDS

Texans Rushing: <100

TOP: Colts 33m

Rivers: 285 yards, 2 TDs

Taylor: 93 yards rushing, team: 114 yards

Sacks: 5!! (Buckner 2, J Houston 3)

Game 2: Colts win 27-20

Watson: 373 yards, 2 TDs

Texans Rushing: <100

TOP: Texans 30.5m

Rivers: 228 yards, 2TDs

Taylor: 83 yards, team: 127 yards

Sacks: 5!! (Buckner 3, Autry 1.5, Lewis: .5)

As I recall, there was also a late fumble in one  of these games near the goal line stopping a late Texans drive.

Believe it or not, there was a late fumble in both games.... Houston could have won both games if not for the late fumble. Both drives to close it out at the end, the ball was fumbled and recovered by the Colts.... (just the way Houston's season has gone) So yes the Colts could have lost both those games and missed the playoffs. That is the consistency thing with Indy this year in the second half. Dominate time of possession on both sides of the ball in the first half, and then get completely out played in the second.... If they do that against the Bills, this game won't even be close. For the first time all year, the Colts win need to play for a full 60 minutes (something that is rarely done by them) Can they do it? Time will tell..... 

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This may be totally unfair to Watson. But he seems slower to process reads and make decisions. It’s unfair because his release time/time to throw is pretty good (better than Josh’s). But he strikes me this year, at least, as more hesitant as to where he wants to go with the ball. And I think Josh’s higher release time is indicative of his better ability to extend plays. (The other guys with the same numbers are Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield— who both also are effective at buying more time).

I don't think its unfair at all and agree with the main difference you are referring to between the two highly talented athletes playing the QB position.

• Like (+1) 1