Day 1

Having now gotten over my initial surprise at our first two picks, I'm starting to realize that, first of all, they make some sense, and second of all, they are in accord with what TD has been saying all offseason - namely, that the offense simply wasn't efficient enough last year, did not convert enough third downs, and did not produce enough big plays. There you have it - TD went out and got two guys who will help in this area (whether they will help immediately or not remains to be seen).

Look, like many of you I've been pulling my hair out over our o-line mess for years, but I've also been just as upset that they've thus far failed to address the middle of offense - tight end and the slot. And, if you want to draft playmakers, you need to get them with Day 1 picks. You can find o-linemen later in the draft (and they'd better), but not productive college receivers from stellar programs who run 4.3 40s.

Today was all about offense efficiency, and it's something that was definitely a NEED, although it didn't initially appear that way to some of us. Let's see if they solve the other piece of the puzzle tomorrow - an LT, CB and DT are still on the shopping list.

Having now gotten over my initial surprise at our first two picks, I'm starting to realize that, first of all, they make some sense, and second of all, they are in accord with what TD has been saying all offseason - namely, that the offense simply wasn't efficient enough last year, did not convert enough third downs, and did not produce enough big plays.  There you have it - TD went out and got two guys who will help in this area (whether they will help immediately or not remains to be seen). 

Look, like many of you I've been pulling my hair out over our o-line mess for years, but I've also been just as upset that they've thus far failed to address the middle of offense - tight end and the slot.  And, if you want to draft playmakers, you need to get them with Day 1 picks.  You can find o-linemen later in the draft (and they'd better), but not productive college receivers from stellar programs who run 4.3 40s. 

Today was all about offense efficiency, and it's something that was definitely a NEED, although it didn't initially appear that way to some of us.  Let's see if they solve the other piece of the puzzle tomorrow - an LT, CB and DT are still on the shopping list.

315659[/snapback]

Honest to God, TD and staff must truly believe Peters can make the transition to tackle. Perhaps they revealed the salary schedule for a LT. That would be incentive enough for me, were I Peters.

if you want to draft playmakers, you need to get them with Day 1 picks.  You can find o-linemen later in the draft (and they'd better), but not productive college receivers from stellar programs who run 4.3 40s. 

315659[/snapback]

Another most excellent point... and playmakers win championships, while grunts support playmakers. Hats off to TD for not burning any Day 1 picks on the OL. JMac prefers those lower picks anyways, I expect he'll get 1 or 2 tomorrow.