The Ike Boettger appreciation thread

GunnerBill

Just wanted to give some real props to this kid. I have been possibly his biggest advocate on this board since he signed here as an UDFA in 2018. He had a really nice pre-season on the 3rd string line that year and was promoted at the end of the pre-season to the 2nd line. The Bills waived him hoping to stash him on the PS but the Chiefs picked him up for their active roster. He only lasted a couple of weeks, was cut and the Bills brought him back. They have hung onto him ever since and have never exposed him to waivers again - naming him to the active roster in 2019 and 2020. His place on the roster has been questioned a lot and I took some heat for saying I thought he was better than Ryan Bates..... well now go look.

Beane and McDermott kept this kid around for a reason. He was primarily a tackle at Iowa - where they know a thing or two about developing NFL linemen - but he was always a better NFL fit at guard and their patience is now being rewarded. He filled in pretty well against the Patriots and Cardinals when Morse was out and Feliciano played center, was benched against the Chargers as Winters and Feliciano started at guard but was brought back in Winters' place last night. In his first couple of starts (and in spot duty going back to last year) he has been a good run blocker but struggled a bit in pass pro. I thought last night he was excellent in pass protection even when drawing Arik Armstead (a first round pick, no less) as his assignment on occasion. His worst play was actually a run play in short yardage where he got blown up and Singletary got tackled behind the line but overall, just super impressed and super pleased for the kid and for all those connected with the Bills who have put the time in to develop him. He is an RFA at the end of this season. Tendering him to keep him here is an absolute no brainer, and if he keeps playing like this it should not be a given that Cody Ford waltzes back into the lineup either. 

• Like (+1) 28
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

When the Bills let Spain go that probably told us all we needed to know (and the trade of W Teller last year). They have been bringing him along and add to that that he is ahead of super-sub Ryan Bates, I think we have a keeper.

He may not have set the world on fire last night , but he was solid and reliable for the majority of this snaps. Seems a bit stiff getting to his spot on occasion but when he gets you locked up, you generally stay that way. 

At the very least, you can put him out there and assume he's not going to get blown up in a way that makes it impossible to sustain drives. The difference between he and Winters is glaring, as we saw when Mongo went out briefly last night.

• Like (+1) 2

Yup, Ford might be in a tough spot.

Possible that we can't hold onto Williams and he gets another chance at RT.

One way or the other, I'm happy for Ike.  He is the only player I have ever tweeted (in his rookie year) and he actually responded.

When picking kids out of school, Iowa linemen are a somewhat safer 'bet'.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I think we should also give Ford the same amount of patience we gave Boettger. But the competition is good. 

We should, for sure. And of course he suffers from the heightened expectations that come with being a 2nd round pick. My biggest concern with Cody is whether they really know yet what they want him to be. It isn't unthinkable that is Williams leaves as a FA then Ford ends up back at RT. That would mean flip flopping on his position again which I am not sure is great for his development. 

• Like (+1) 1

Agree about Ike.  The kid can play.  He is well coached coming from Iowa.  If Ford comes back healthy.  What about a line of Ike and Ford at Guard.  And Feliciano at Center?  Morse is decent but not spectacular given what we are paying him.  We seriously may need that money to resign Milano.  He is a stud on our defense.  I was always lukewarm about paying him big bucks.  But with Milano playing at 100% health, the defense is so much better.  Start him and Edmunds.  And mix in Klein as a blitzer.  That is a solid LB core.  And maybe Dodson takes a step up as well.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Bills spent time developing him and now they are being rewarded.

Lots of experts here chimed on letting him go and Bills should release him.

Bates has a different skill set.

True, Bates got more show earlier on, and played well, he has been alert enough to get a fumble recovery while playing, and they seem to like him as well, in that he can play center on top of the other line positions, Ike is doing quite  well, with some lumps, but that happens to any guy who is an O line man. It is good to see the O line solidifying, especially at this point of the season. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Tendering him to keep him here is an absolute no brainer, and if he keeps playing like this it should not be a given that Cody Ford waltzes back into the lineup either.

Agreed  - he's playing well and could definitely keep the job but loyalty is big with McD when deciding who plays. I'd bet ford starts when healthy regardless of how well Ike is playing.

18 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I think we should also give Ford the same amount of patience we gave Boettger. But the competition is good. 

Yes we should, the impatience shown by many here is kinda silly to say the least. No player is responsible for where they get picked, you would think folk would understand that. 

Plus as you said competition on the O line is a good thing. 

Go Bills!!!

Kinda wish they took the same tact with Wyatt Teller.

• Like (+1) 1

No this just doesn't work.  You have to instant pro bowl level player or get rid of him.  There's many threads here proving this is correct.  Just see all the get rid of Bass threads for starters.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just wanted to give some real props to this kid. I have been possibly his biggest advocate on this board since he signed here as an UDFA in 2018. He had a really nice pre-season on the 3rd string line that year and was promoted at the end of the pre-season to the 2nd line. The Bills waived him hoping to stash him on the PS but the Chiefs picked him up for their active roster. He only lasted a couple of weeks, was cut and the Bills brought him back. They have hung onto him ever since and have never exposed him to waivers again - naming him to the active roster in 2019 and 2020. His place on the roster has been questioned a lot and I took some heat for saying I thought he was better than Ryan Bates..... well now go look.

Beane and McDermott kept this kid around for a reason. He was primarily a tackle at Iowa - where they know a thing or two about developing NFL linemen - but he was always a better NFL fit at guard and their patience is now being rewarded. He filled in pretty well against the Patriots and Cardinals when Morse was out and Feliciano played center, was benched against the Chargers as Winters and Feliciano started at guard but was brought back in Winters' place last night. In his first couple of starts (and in spot duty going back to last year) he has been a good run blocker but struggled a bit in pass pro. I thought last night he was excellent in pass protection even when drawing Arik Armstead (a first round pick, no less) as his assignment on occasion. His worst play was actually a run play in short yardage where he got blown up and Singletary got tackled behind the line but overall, just super impressed and super pleased for the kid and for all those connected with the Bills who have put the time in to develop him. He is an RFA at the end of this season. Tendering him to keep him here is an absolute no brainer, and if he keeps playing like this it should not be a given that Cody Ford waltzes back into the lineup either. 

@GunnerBill - I love this thread and I think it totally shows the evolution of this coaching staff.  I think McD recognizes that Mongo is by far their best run blocker and Dawkins is right there with him.  I think they toyed with/tried the Dawkins, Ford, Mongo (center) grouping thinking that would be the best rushing/power trio.  

Injuries kept that from working - so I think they wanted to try the Dawkins/Mongo group and got some nice push, but as Ike seems to be a more dominant left side player that left Winters to play right guard (which caused pass pro issues).  The Bills then again recognized the issue and went with Dawkins/Ike and Mongo/Williams and they got some push, but much better pass protection.

I think going forward that will be the plan if they can stay healthy and Ike has done a great job getting better week after week.  The o-line is not going to find a way to get exceptional push with the current grouping, but as they have become a predominantly passing attack - I think they can make it work and still get enough push to keep teams honest.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Kinda wish they took the same tact with Wyatt Teller.

I believe at that point they saw Bates and Boettger  as more valuable at the time.

I wonder if Bills reevaluate their trades and grades on players.

Big supporter of Ike. A lot of the stuff pre draft and such was about how he was projected as a day 2-3 pick if he hadn’t had the injuries. The old Buddy Nix “find college tackles and move them to inside” still prevails. Morse, Ford, Boettger, Winters, Bates, Feliciano all college tackles. Ike is strong and is also pretty athletic...I think he’s a converted tight end. I’ve said it before, I think he and Ford are our starting guards next year and they find a way to sign Williams. If there is turnover, I think it could be in the middle, but Morse has picked up his play recently. I like Feliciano, but Williams is the priority in FA. 

It's certainly nice to have some competent backups who can step up and play when needed.

But I still want to see more from Bates. I've liked what I have seen whenever he is on the field. I guess you have been the Boettger advocate. I have been the Bates advocate. Honestly, I think both are good players.

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Big supporter of Ike. A lot of the stuff pre draft and such was about how he was projected as a day 2-3 pick if he hadn’t had the injuries. The old Buddy Nix “find college tackles and move them to inside” still prevails. Morse, Ford, Boettger, Winters, Bates, Feliciano all college tackles. Ike is strong and is also pretty athletic...I think he’s a converted tight end. I’ve said it before, I think he and Ford are our starting guards next year and they find a way to sign Williams. If there is turnover, I think it could be in the middle, but Morse has picked up his play recently. I like Feliciano, but Williams is the priority in FA. 

FWIW I agree with you in terms of what should be the priority. However, I think Feliciano is the one who ends up back. Think they love him from a culture perspective. But how great has it been to have a right tackle whose name never gets mentioned in the broadcast? After years of Erik Pears and Jordan Mills and even a bit with Ford and Nsekhe last year being mentioned because they are giving up plays. They never have to mention Williams. He just plays out there and does his job. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1