Can you say......

Frez

Joe,

I respect all long-time posters, but need some help here. What exactly is the problem? That TD did not draft an OL in the 2nd round tells me nothing about the plans for other rounds. It is false to say that he has done "nothing" for the OL, this year or any other year. You do not like what he has done, that is your prerogative, but that does not make it objective truth. Look around the league and tell me how teams build OL strength. They do it with a combination of draft, Free agency, trades, and luck that guys live up to their billing. There is no team with five drafted OL starters, and few teams have more than one or two first day draftees. Can we wait to see what else happens this offseason before running up the white flag, or giving ourselves agida?

Go Bills!

RJ

314928[/snapback]

Well, at least that was a well-written and thought out post.

You're right. I don't like what he's done, because in the sum total, this line is no better than the one that had Fina, Ostroski, Ziegler, Brown etc...

You're right. I don't like what he's done, because in the sum total, this line is no better than the one that had Fina, Ostroski, Ziegler, Brown etc...

314934[/snapback]

From one Joe to another.....that was actually not a bad line back then.....they took a lot of flack from us fans but now in retrospect I'll give it a C+ to a B!

Well, at least that was a well-written and thought out post.

314934[/snapback]

Thanks for your response. To be honest, I think you are right about the line not being better, but I'm not sure that is proof of a lack of commitment by TD. The more I follow football, the more I am reminded of what a crap shoot putting a team together is. Sure, it helps to be knowledgable, etc., but in the end, one can never predict the future perfectly. (That's the History prof in me.) An example from the Dark Side: Don Shula knew perfectly well that teams win championships running the ball: he did it himself, twice. He also knew that Dan Marino needed a good RB. He went after many RBs through the draft, free agency, ouija boards, and never did come up with the right player, even when some of them (Bobby Humphrey comes to mind) were considered can't miss prospects.

When it comes to building a winning team, lack of success does not always mean lack of ability, or of organization, or of effort or concern. Fate plays a major role. All Bills fans know that, right? :lol:

There are many irons in the fire, though I'm sure you will roll your eyes at some: what about Jason Peters, Justin Bannan, Mike Gandy? What about June 1 cuts? No one knows. Sure it is fun to try to guess the future, but why spoil your own fun by choosing to be negative? Negativity shortens one's life, and I, along with your other friends and fellow Bills fans, want you to stay healthy and alive so you can join in the super bowl victory celebration that will come sometime this century (he said, hopefully).

Go Bills!

Thanks for your response. To be honest, I think you are right about the line not being better, but I'm not sure that is proof of a lack of commitment by TD. The more I follow football, the more I am reminded of what a crap shoot putting a team together is. Sure, it helps to be knowledgable, etc., but in the end, one can never predict the future perfectly. (That's the History prof in me.) An example from the Dark Side: Don Shula knew perfectly well that teams win championships running the ball: he did it himself, twice. He also knew that Dan Marino needed a good RB. He went after many RBs through the draft, free agency, ouija boards, and never did come up with the right player, even when some of them (Bobby Humphrey comes to mind) were considered can't miss prospects.

When it comes to building a winning team, lack of success does not always mean lack of ability, or of organization, or of effort or concern. Fate plays a major role. All Bills fans know that, right?  :lol:

There are many irons in the fire, though I'm sure you will roll your eyes at some: what about Jason Peters, Justin Bannan, Mike Gandy? What about June 1 cuts? No one knows. Sure it is fun to try to guess the future, but why spoil your own fun by choosing to be negative? Negativity shortens one's life, and I, along with your other friends and fellow Bills fans, want you to stay healthy and alive so you can join in the super bowl victory celebration that will come sometime this century (he said, hopefully).

Go Bills!

314979[/snapback]

great post RJ. for some reason unbeknownst to me, the mentality of the western new york bills' fan is always negative-first. i grew up in buffalo but moved away from the area as i reached high school age. i returned briefly for law school right when the super bowl run was starting. the mentality (and negativity) of the hometown fans always amazed me, and continues to do so today. i just don't get it.

great post RJ.  for some reason unbeknownst to me, the mentality of the western new york bills' fan is always negative-first.  i grew up in buffalo but moved away from the area as i reached high school age.  i returned briefly for law school right when the super bowl run was starting.  the mentality (and negativity) of the hometown fans always amazed me, and continues to do so today.  i just don't get it.

315031[/snapback]

Thanks eball. I don't share the negativity either, though I understand it. My old man was the king of negativity. And heck, since life is basically lousy, being negative often allows one to be proven right, especially in WNY. My feeling, though, is that sports are the toy department of life, and this is the one place where realism is irrational. Save "realism" (itself a term that we can debate) for real problems, and enjoy following the game....

The sad thing for me is that the Bills (and, by extension, TSW) are one of my only non-familial links to WNY, and most of the time the only feeling I get reading most posts is gloom. I suppose the fact that I keep coming back shows that, as a WNY native, I am addicted to gloom.... :lol:

Here's to hope!

TD always wants to get a playmaker in his first overall pick. With only MW as the exception. I believe he did that in Roscoe.

He must also feel very comfortable with Teague moving over to LT this year, or he would have bitten on the Arizona trade.

There's more than one way to improve a OL. Trades, drafts, free agency... and strategy. Even a mediocre OL can look good when they don't have to worry about zone blitzes and every linebacker headed toward the quarterback. A mobile quarterback, a strong running back who can break it at any time, and now 3 blazing fast receivers forces a defense to stay home instead of crashing the OL. I like this pick. Perhaps TD is making lemonade in this draft when most offensive linemen are lemons.