Trump 2024?

Tiberius

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Biden did meet the families.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/08/29/joe-biden-meets-families-13-service-members-killed-kabul-bombing/5641896001/

Trump's team was told that they could not take pictures or film in Section 60.  There are reasons for this.  Arlington Cemetery performs 27 funerals per day.  For those who were not cremated, all the coffins end up getting buried in the same section side by side by side.  As a result, it is impossible to perform all those funerals in the location where the burial will take place.  The funerals are thus spread around to different sections of the cemetery with multiple ceremonies happening at the same time or overlapping in time.  People are told at the end that this is not where their loved one will be buried but are given the plot number for future visits.  Also, families may be visiting their loved ones in Section 60 and some level of solemnity, respect and privacy is expected.

Whether or not the Gold Star families invited Trump really isn't relevant.  It certainly shouldn't give him a free pass.  While I am sorry for their loss, these families aren't thinking through the ramifications of holding a campaign event where funerals are happening.  Those families are not respecting the families and loved ones of other deceased servicemen.

Trump could have quietly paid his respects in Section 60 without cameras.  he could have just paid his respects.  But NOOOOO!  Paying respect is not what this was about.  Trump used this only for his benefit only.  He used this for a photo op.  He is using those servicemen and their families. 

I'd prefer somebody who doesn't pretend.

If Trump didn't film it they would say he didn't go and he doesn't care about the military. Luckily everything is filmed and online so we can decide for ourselves who the scumbags are. Hint, it's the ones that got these soldiers killed and then didn't show up

• Disagree 1

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/08/29/lila-rose-abortion-trump-interview-00176619

Uh oh.  He's losing his base.  can't see3m to find a happy medium.  Cuz he panders to extremists and absolutists.  Live by the sword...

My] direct quote is that “they’re making it impossible” for us. This is an active thing. The recent statements that they have been making — increasingly pro-abortion statements — and the positions that they are choosing to take are making it untenable for pro-life voters to get out the vote for them. This is, unfortunately, the path that they’ve chosen.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

11 minutes ago, K D said:

If Trump didn't film it they would say he didn't go and he doesn't care about the military. Luckily everything is filmed and online so we can decide for ourselves who the scumbags are. Hint, it's the ones that got these soldiers killed and then didn't show up

I don't think anyone would have thought anything about it if he hadn't gone.  If he cared so much, why did he wait until ~ 2 months before an election?

You think it is okay to disrupt ongoing funerals for this photo op? 

• Like (+1) 1

Trump voting yes on Amendment 4 is a massive misstep. 

Ive defended him taking a more pro-choice stance in this election, but this ain’t it.. and hes getting destroyed by pro-life evangelical voices on social

media.. mostly women.. saying they cannot vote for him in good conscience any longer. 

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ive defended him taking a more pro-choice stance in this election, but this ain’t it.. and hes getting destroyed by pro-life evangelical voices on social

media.. mostly women.. saying they cannot vote for him in good conscience any longer. 

He miscalculated.  Big mistake.

• Agree 1

So then who are they going to vote for? The side that wants to kill their kids or take them away and turn them into drag queens? Not voting for Trump is a vote for Kamala. All of my libertarian friends that think they are so hip for voting 3rd party are just allowing the Dems to win

Just now, K D said:

So then who are they going to vote for? The side that wants to kill their kids or take them away and turn them into drag queens? Not voting for Trump is a vote for Kamala. All of my libertarian friends that think they are so hip for voting 3rd party are just allowing the Dems to win

I get it.. but there’s a large sentiment of the conservative base that wants him gone.

Hes the nominee so it’s him or Kamala. 

And to them 4 years of Trump / stopping 4 years of Kamala needs to be of stronger appeal than ridding him entirely by another election loss so we can usher in Youngkin or DeSantis and not have to deal with JD Vance / Vivek MAGA continuance.  

They’ve put up with his garbage personality, pathetic role modeling and dragging the party left because of goodwill built up in his 4 years and the alternative being untenable to consider. 

When he comes out to say he’s voting yes on abortion up to birth, it finally broke them.  And I don’t blame them.  

He can still win them back, but holy **** that’s a big screw you he just levied to pro-life evangelicals. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I get it.. but there’s a large sentiment of the conservative base that wants him gone.

And to them 4 years of Trump / stopping 4 years of Kamala needs to be of stronger appeal than ridding him entirely by another election loss so we can usher in Youngkin or DeSantis and not have to deal with JD Vance / Vivek MAGA continuance.  

They’ve put up with his garbage personality, pathetic role modeling and dragging the party left because of goodwill built up in his 4 years and the alternative being untenable to consider. 

When he comes out to say he’s voting yes on abortion up to birth, it finally broke them.  And I don’t blame them.  

He can still win them back, but holy **** that’s a big screw you he just levied to pro-life evangelicals. 

He will be gone in 4 years and probably dead in 10. He's almost 80. We need to fix this country in the meantime so we can get on the right path. Deport all of these illegal criminals and get the economy back on track and stop funding wars and then maybe we have the funds to invest in actual Americans. If families are doing well maybe they are stronger and people aren't having kids out of wedlock or running around being promiscuous. I don't think we are in a position as a country right now to be so picky. For whatever reason we are stuck with Trump because the other side is far more evil

18 minutes ago, K D said:

He will be gone in 4 years and probably dead in 10. He's almost 80. We need to fix this country in the meantime so we can get on the right path. Deport all of these illegal criminals and get the economy back on track and stop funding wars and then maybe we have the funds to invest in actual Americans. If families are doing well maybe they are stronger and people aren't having kids out of wedlock or running around being promiscuous. I don't think we are in a position as a country right now to be so picky. For whatever reason we are stuck with Trump because the other side is far more evil

You don’t need to convince me.. im

voting for him in the grounds of border security and fighting censorship.

Im just telling you, this was a massive unforced error. 

7 hours ago, phypon said:

The Left will stoop to any low.  They are pathetic. 

So then Trump is pathetic.  Got it. 

46 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/08/29/lila-rose-abortion-trump-interview-00176619

Uh oh.  He's losing his base.  can't see3m to find a happy medium.  Cuz he panders to extremists and absolutists.  Live by the sword...

My] direct quote is that “they’re making it impossible” for us. This is an active thing. The recent statements that they have been making — increasingly pro-abortion statements — and the positions that they are choosing to take are making it untenable for pro-life voters to get out the vote for them. This is, unfortunately, the path that they’ve chosen.

This is what happens when doing business with this guy.  Stay in too long and you get burned.  Most of MAGA hasn’t  figured it out yet.  It happened to the old school conservatives (Obamacare), it’s happening to the evangelicals, and it’s going to happen to the working folks next.  

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t share your politics, but I agree with a lot of this. There really are three major groups in American politics right now: democrats (fractious as they may be), bush/romney republicans, and MAGA, the latter of which has basically accomplished a hostile takeover of the Republican Party.  The republicans cut a deal with MAGA and, to save the brand, they need to get rid of trump and try to keep the nationalists. easier said than done.  I think they should pull that band aid sooner than later, but the longer they’re in bed with trump the closer they get to losing their traditionalists.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, K D said:

Evil?  Really?  I don't even know if I would say that about Trump, and I can't stand the selfish, narcissistic, ill-prepared, lying buffoon.  Say what you will about the politics of someone like AOC--much of her politics are not mine--I'd never characterize her as evil.  Well-intentioned, but misguided, to quote a Republican lobbyist I know.   But not evil.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t share your politics, but I agree with a lot of this. There really are three major groups in American politics right now: democrats (fractious as they may be), bush/romney republicans, and MAGA, the latter of which has basically accomplished a hostile takeover of the Republican Party.  The republicans cut a deal with MAGA and, to save the brand, they need to get rid of trump and try to keep the nationalists. easier said than done.  I think they should pull that band aid sooner than later, but the longer they’re in bed with trump the closer they get to losing their traditionalists.  

Clearly Trump’s play is try and merge MAGA with disaffected Democrats on issues of censorship, war, the economy and border & then bank of trad conservatives holding their noses and voting for him when the time comes.

What he did today maybe helps with disaffected Dems/Moderates in the Rust Belt but hurts him with trad conservatives in NC & GA.  

Trying to view it politically, that’s my best case scenario for him, but Amendment 4 is so aggressively pro-abortion that it wasn’t a risk he needed to take. 

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You don’t need to convince me.. im

voting for him in the grounds of border security and fighting censorship.

Im just telling you, this was a massive unforced error. 

I think it's what he's gotta do to try to get more suburban women, who hate him.  His gamble is that the evangelicals will vote for him anyways, and he might be right.  But it does look like he sold them down the river.  That is, if you trust anything that comes out of his mouth, which I don't.  (This point is more believable though because I suspect he doesn't really care about the pro-life movement in the least.)

Clearly Trump’s play is try and merge MAGA with disaffected Democrats on issues of censorship, war, the economy and border & then bank of trad conservatives holding their noses and voting for him when the time comes.

What he did today maybe helps with disaffected Dems/Moderates in the Rust Belt but hurts him with trad conservatives in NC & GA.  

Trying to view it politically, that’s my best case scenario for him, but Amendment 4 is so aggressively pro-abortion that it wasn’t a risk he needed to take. 

I don't disagree with this.  I don't think it's likely that he pulls moderates, or anyone else who wasn't with him before, for that matter.  But you and I agree on the strategy. 

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Evil?  Really?  I don't even know if I would say that about Trump, and I can't stand the selfish, narcissistic, ill-prepared, lying buffoon.  Say what you will about the politics of someone like AOC--much of her politics are not mine--I'd never characterize her as evil.  Well-intentioned, but misguided, to quote a Republican lobbyist I know.   But not evil.  

Then you are misinformed. Kamala is on record that she is going to confiscate guns, they are already shutting down free speech, they are attacking the church and anything white/Christian as racist colonizers. If you are against the Constitution and the Bill of Rights then you are evil and need to be stopped. We have fought wars over much less.

• Haha (+1) 1