The blown coverage on the SEA Moore TD

Simms went over this and called it an inverted 2 where White flips with the inside safety johnson, questioned why white would be asked to play safety.  also said Seattle had a great play call for that defense call as well.  The inverted two is just a different look to tampa 2 and the middle on tampa 2 is to be covered by the LB in this case Klein.  I could see why White would flow a little that way but in doing so gave up the outside WR Moore.  Really good analysis with voice of this diagram. Breakdown of the above is at 14:30

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some folks have wondered about this.

Sal Capaccio has a thread about it including one of those intriguing little moving diagrams

I think the little diagram thingy makes it pretty clear it was a blown assignment by someone.

Live, it looked like 3 deep and White jumped that out route

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

Simms went over this and called it an inverted 2 where White flips with the inside safety johnson, questioned why white would be asked to play safety.  also said Seattle had a great play call for that defense call as well.  The inverted two is just a different look to tampa 2 and the middle on tampa 2 is to be covered by the LB in this case Klein.  I could see why White would flow a little that way but in doing so gave up the outside WR Moore.  Really good analysis with voice of this diagram. Breakdown of the above is at 14:30

Any play which relies upon Klein to cover the middle is A Plan Where You Lose Your Hat.

Any Plan where you Lose your Hat is A Bad Plan.

(good segment, by the way.  thanks for posting)

Edit: I just want to say a little more about this segment, which maybe deserves more flash or even its own thread.  Starting 14:30 in, Simms starts doing a deep dive into the way Buffalo played defense, which he called "the tale of two halves".  He said in the first half, the Bills played a lot of disguised coverages where we would show blitz, but send one guy and drop another into coverage.  Then in the second half, the Bills started playing a lot more pressure packages, but selectively.  One good point I thought he made is it kept Seattle from settling into their blitz offense, but it also kept Wilson from wearing down the DL who have to chase him around the backfield, and then in the 4th Q when they're worn out he makes stuff happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't care what play is called and who is assigned to who. Under no circumstances in that instance of the game up 21 are you to let ANYONE behind you in coverage until the QB passes or crosses the LOS. Anytime a big play is given up in the secondary T. Johnson always seems to be the reason why. That one play made a laugher into a interesting game. No time taken off the clock as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

So either Taron Johnson correctly passed him off to White who wrongly doubled the slot receiver or Johnson let his man go and thought they were playing a normal cover 2 and he had the short pass area...

It looks like Johnson screwed up because when he realized his mistake he took off running trying to get back there but unless one of them tells us who screwed up we probably won't know for sure.