ROCKPILE REVIEW - Just Another Patriots Game

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'll agree a good play works, a bad play doesn't and that is pretty much all we see.  

I pointed out a series above that put the Bills in a hole & NE immediately scored & tied the game.  

Squeaking by NE sorry says to me there were not enough good palys called on offense & the defense allowed too many yards & plays to NE.

Overall I'd say the Defense's playcalling has been suspect, especially on 3rd down.  A perfect example was the 3rd & 10 where Burkhead (?) got a first down on a run. 

The Bills are 30th (interesting is Tennessee is the worst & Carolina allowed NO to make like 14 of 16 vs. them) and the Bills have played NYJ twice....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/stat/downs/table/miscellaneous/sort/thirdDownConvPct/dir/asc

We actually don’t agree.  It’s more about the talent and the players execution than the playcalling.  Play calling is important but you are overstating your case and your stats can support either side of the debate.  

The third down you are referring to - Klein missed a tackle at the LOS, and that is why the play worked so well.  The. Bills were in the correct defense.  The player did not execute his assignment.  

New England has the same coaching as last year and they are 2-5.  Brady, Gronk, and a bunch of other great players are gone and replaced with far less talented players. They are losing because of talent, not play calling. 

Given the choice between the two I’ll take great players.  Give me talent and my play calling will get much easier.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

We actually don’t agree.  It’s more about the talent and the players execution than the playcalling.  Play calling is important but you are overstating your case and your stats can support either side of the debate.  

New England has the same coaching as last year and the are 2-5.  Brady, Gronk, and a bunch of other great players are gone and replaced with far less talented players. They are losing because of talent, not play calling. 

I didn't even mention talent.  Talent on the field is an entirely different set of variables that complicates play calling.  Do we have a guard in the game who can execute the block we need in this situation at this point in the game?  If we don't, then certain plays an OC might have in the playbook simply aren't good choices at this point.  I don't think fans are thinking along with the coach in that kind of detail.  That's only one example.  Multiply by 15-18 guys the OC has available to put on the field, and you can see the complexity of play calling.  

When you roll all that talent together, then you get what you describe.  Have the Patriots suddenly become bad play callers?   Not likely.  

I think there are good play callers and bad play callers, but the good ones are on the sidelines and in press boxes, not on message boards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

The third down you are referring to - Klein missed a tackle at the LOS, and that is why the play worked so well.  The. Bills were in the correct defense.  The player did not execute his assignment.  

New England has the same coaching as last year and they are 2-5.  Brady, Gronk, and a bunch of other great players are gone and replaced with far less talented players. They are losing because of talent, not play calling. 

Given the choice between the two I’ll take great players.  Give me talent and my play calling will get much easier.  

But were they great players when the defense was ranked second in the league?

Again it's a case of sucking and blowing at the same time .

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

To understand and critique play calling in the NFL requires an understanding of the game in general and of the offensive and defensive playbooks of the teams in question that I think is simply beyond all but the most knowledgeable fans.  I'm not one of those fans, and I think there are very few, if any, fans posting here with that kind of understanding.  So I don't get into discussions of play calling, because I don't think it's a subject that typical fans can discuss meaningfully.   

Ok. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But were they great players when the defense was ranked second in the league?

Again it's a case of sucking and blowing at the same time .

Last years front 7 was much different than this years.  Star, Shaq, Jordan Phillips and Lorenzo are gone. Across the board their replacements are not playing  better, the case can easily be made that they are playing worse.  

Milano and Edmunds are both playing injured and they are not having good seasons compared to last year.  We have had injuries at corner that have taken us deep into the depth chart and to using practice squad players.   Harrison Phillips is still recovering from ACL.  

McD and Frazier did not suddenly become stupid - last year our players we were healthier and better. 

Additionally, defenses across the league are worse.  Lots of theories as to why.  

Fixing the front 7 has to be  Beanes top priority.  He will do that by adding better players, not new plays.  

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Last years front 7 was much different than this years.  Star, Shaq, Jordan Phillips and Lorenzo are gone. Across the board their replacements are not playing  better, the case can easily be made that they are playing worse.  

Milano and Edmunds are both playing injured and they are not having good seasons compared to last year.  We have had injuries at corner that have taken us deep into the depth chart and to using practice squad players.   Harrison Phillips is still recovering from ACL.  

McD and Frazier did not suddenly become stupid - last year our players we were healthier and better. 

Additionally, defenses across the league are worse.  Lots of theories as to why.  

Fixing the front 7 has to be  Beanes top priority.  He will do that by adding better players, not new plays.  

No the Bills played a very weak schedule last year.  I just don't think the coaching staff is as smart as you do.  

My concern is and repeated over rand over is they do t want to assert themselves for 4 quarters on offense and continually seem to scheme to keep the score close as opposed to "we're scoring 40, try and stop us".

Edited by Billsfan1972