Sir Sean Connery dead at 90

Mike in Horseheads

Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90, his family has said.

The Scottish actor was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

to me, it was always a toss-up between Sean Connery and Roger Moore. I feel like Moore was in the better Bond movies.

I may have to go back and watch some of these now! 

I'm partial to Connery, but Moore was good too, albeit a little less serious. In general, I like the Connery/Moore Bond flicks more than the modern ones - more focus on dialog and plot, less emphasis on chase scenes, explosions, and special effects.

RIP, Sir Sean.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Not to nit pick but I thought he was probably better known for SNL Jeopardy than Bond.  Either way RIP.

Yeah I have to admit whenever I heard his name I always thought of "The Rapist" first 😂

A more than impressive life and career though.  RIP 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

So many great roles beyond the Bond films.

I liked him as Indiana Jones' father in The Last Crusade. The beach scene where he used his umbrella to make a flock of gulls fly into the path of an incoming fighter plane was classic.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I have not watched "Zardoz". I will need to see if I can find it.

I have enjoyed every movie I have seen him in even ones panned by critics.

He was always better than the role. He could be in a garbage movie with horrible co-stars and still be amazing and lend some credibility to the movie.

I’ve had a hankering for Hunt for Red October for a while now, tonight might be the night.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I'm partial to Connery, but Moore was good too, albeit a little less serious. In general, I like the Connery/Moore Bond flicks more than the modern ones - more focus on dialog and plot, less emphasis on chase scenes, explosions, and special effects.

RIP, Sir Sean.

Connery was a legend and icon. He had a presence that no one including Moore could ever live up to. I agree that modern Bond films are too dependent on action over plot. The sheer amount of CGI and frenetic camera work doesn’t do much for me. I also appreciated the Moore films much as you do. The addition of humor was great, and I actually thought the Moore films had the perfect mix of plot/dialog and action. Some of the Connery films were low on action. I think much of that had to do with film often resembling stage plays and books (as the Bond series was originally) in the 50’s and 60’s, to becoming more action packed in the 70’s. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.