Trading following years first rounder?

This is not so much about this year's draft for the Bills, but about all years. Does it make sense to try and trade a draft pick that you will assume will be in the mid to high twenties (assuming you are a playoff team, which we all hope the Bills are every year) for a player that may be in the middle of round one. To use this year as an example, we trade next year's #1 and a day two pick to select our starting LT in the draft, or a Corner if TD thinks we can't resign NC. Does it hurt us for the long term because we are merely using that pick a year early. Also this creates a cycle and if you get used to doing it every year, the baloon payment will never be due until the final season of the NFL.

In all honesty, a 1st and a 4th next year is probably good enough to get most mid-first round picks. Considering 4th rounders rarely pan out for the long term (not as often as first rounders do... forgive me not looking up statistics) does it make sense to make this type of move each and every year to accumulate mid-first round picks. That being said, would anybody be upset if TD traded away our first next year in an attempt to snag a player he covets this year at a pick below #20?

On the other hand, it would surely be nice to have a full draft with picks 1-7 for a change.

I think it all depends on a team's needs this year and less where they think they'll finish next year. I also imagine that they compare and contrast what they anticipate will be the depth of that particular position 'this' year as opposed to 'next' year.

If there's a guy you want or need, I have no problem trading next year's pick to get him this year.

Fine. So let's play.

Supposin' JP didn't come out last year and the Bills kept their #1 this year, etc.

We're now sitting with the 20th pick today and the Drewish One is still our QB.

Please take it from there...

You think we still get JP sitting at #20?

Just exactly which QB would you pick in that spot?

No trading picks now. Them's yer rules.

In all honesty, a 1st and a 4th next year is probably good enough to get most mid-first round picks.

It cost the Bills a 2nd and 5th last year, plus this year's 1st to get the 22nd overall last draft, which they used on JP, so it would take more than next year's 1st and 4th in most years. This year may be different since teams are looking to trade out of the 1st round. I think with QB's it's not a bad move since it gives them a year in the system, and considering that Aaron Rodgers is thought of so little that he may drop all the way to #24 (GB, whereas if people thought much of him he wouldn't make it past TB's first pick at #5)), I think the Bills made the right move in trading up to get JP last year.

I think it all depends on a team's needs this year and less where they think they'll finish next year.  I also imagine that they compare and contrast what they anticipate will be the depth of that particular position 'this' year as opposed to 'next' year.

If there's a guy you want or need, I have no problem trading next year's pick to get him this year.

313630[/snapback]

Agreed. But there's not very many players who'll go in the first that are worth giving up a 1st in next year's stronger draft. Not worth it in the contract to get 2nd round talent at a 1st rounder's price tag.

If TD makes any trades, it will be calculated to get a certain player if he falls to a certain spot.

It cost the Bills a 2nd and 5th last year, plus this year's 1st to get the 22nd overall last draft, which they used on JP, so it would take more than next year's 1st and 4th in most years.  This year may be different since teams are looking to trade out of the 1st round.  I think with QB's it's not a bad move since it gives them a year in the system, and considering that Aaron Rodgers is thought of so little that he may drop all the way to #24 (GB, whereas if people thought much of him he wouldn't make it past TB's first pick at #5)), I think the Bills made the right move in trading up to get JP last year.

313634[/snapback]

It is simply impossible to say whether or not it was a good deal. We lost a 2nd and a 5th, and JP was injured for the bulk of the season. It certainly didn't help the Bills in 04, but that was then.

The qb group in this draft does not look impressive (my favorite is Campbell) so it does seem as if the move was timely, but I need to watch JP play football in a real game before calling this trade the "right move," or for that matter, the wrong move.

I'm not a fan of moving up in the draft in general, because you are always sacrificing other picks whether it be in the current draft or future drafts to do it. Those draft picks are needed to build depth on the team.

That being said, when the need arises(like being able to acquire JP), I guess you have to go for the gusto as the GM of a team.