Its gonna be a DT

Mickey

We lost Pat Williams and are moving Bannan to the OL and Sam Adams is getting long in the tooth. Meanwhile the OL has picked up Gandy, Anderson and Bannan while losing Jennings, Pucillo and Price. Seems like the OL broke even and the DL is down two.

Second round DT's:

Luis Castillo 6-3, 305 4.85 Northwestern

Mike Patterson 6-0, 290 5.05 USC

Attiyah Ellison 6-4, 305 5.05 Missouri

Anttaj Hawthorne 6-3, 321 5.12 Wisconsin (O)

My wish: Mike Nugent. If we had Christie instead of Norwood in 1990, we would have won that Super Bowl, no doubt. I don't want to be writing next January that if we had Nugent instead of Lindell we would have won the Super Bowl.

It could be.

Yet most games last season, the Bills basically went with a 3 man rotation of Adams, Williams and Edwards. That explains why Tim Anderson wasn't activated for many games. Bannon and Sape barely played. In his pre-draft luncheon, TD stated Anderson will take over Williams position, which may indicate the need of another DT is not so dire, in his eyes. He invested a 3rd round pick in the guy just last season and wants to see him play. I realize it could all be smoke and mirrors.

CB, with the Clements situation, is obvious. That's the deepest position in this draft. A run on them in the 1st or 2nd round could force the Bills hand. If the right OT or C falls to their slot, then that may be the pick.

I hope we get The Nuge.  :rolleyes:

313534[/snapback]

I'm not so sure Mick. As much as I would love to see an Offensive Lineman, I am all but sure that they will grab a cornerback with the first selection.

Again, both our corners return kicks, and we all know about NC's contract. The Bills have a history of drafting corners early and letting them walk after a few seasons. T.Smith, Burress, and Winfield come to mind. I am not knocking this philosophy mind you, merely citing it.

Btw, I still place the odds of trading NC today at 25%. Sorry, jmo.

Mark-Anything of interest in today's Buffalo News that we might want to know about? I can't wait until 9, when it reaches the web. Anything about kickers? I'm looking 6th or 7th round to give the boot to Lindell, Chris Onorato(Hofstra)or John Marino (McNeese St.). Unfortunately, we'll never get near Nugent. My fears are the Jets will take him in the 2nd.

I'm still going with Adam Terry as our 1st pick. The kid was on Albany's channel 13 a couple of nights ago & said he'd be happy going 2nd or 3rd round.

I'm not so sure Mick. As much as I would love to see an Offensive Lineman, I am all but sure that they will grab a cornerback with the first selection.

Again, both our corners return kicks, and we all know about NC's contract. The Bills have a history of drafting corners early and letting them walk after a few seasons. T.Smith, Burress, and Winfield come to mind. I am not knocking this philosophy mind you, merely citing it.

313540[/snapback]

The speculation is so much fun no matter what they do.

Mark-Anything of interest in today's Buffalo News that we might want to know about?  I can't wait until 9, when it reaches the web.  Anything about kickers?  I'm looking 6th or 7th round to give the boot to Lindell, Chris Onorato(Hofstra)or John Marino (McNeese St.).  Unfortunately, we'll never get near Nugent.  My fears are the Jets will take him in the 2nd. 

I'm still going with Adam Terry as our 1st pick.  The kid was on Albany's channel 13 a couple of nights ago & said he'd be happy going 2nd or 3rd round.

313545[/snapback]

I only saw a little bit of Terry on the NFL channel. He certainly looks good. Two questions:

1) Have you seen him play much?

2) Why is he, a LT, not projected to go in the 1st, especially in a draft said to be thin at the LT position?

313540[/snapback]

That's fair. My thread yesterday was a result of watching CB's getting outrageous contracts and realizing Clements is as good as gone after 2005. So we'd get a 3rd round Comp pick for him in 2007. Yippie.

This draft is deep at CB, so that idea isn't drug induced, as some MENSA members suggested. :rolleyes:

I only saw a little bit of Terry on the NFL channel. He certainly looks good. Two questions:

2) Why is he, a LT, not projected to go in the 1st, especially in a draft said to be thin at the LT position?

313549[/snapback]

I am an SU season ticket holder. He is a decent prospect but frankly I would be relatively surprised if he developed into an NFL starter. More holding calls than pancakes. He has a nasty streak and will pick up a personal foul every now and then. He gets some props for the success of Walter Reyes. SU's offense, running the freeze option as they do with ultra conservative play calling makes it difficult to grade out individual players. For my part, I would give him a look in the third but no earlier. The experts like him more than I do so who knows, maybe he is one of those sleepers you hear so much about.

That's fair. My thread yesterday was a result of watching CB's getting outrageous contracts and realizing Clements is as good as gone after 2005. So we'd get a 3rd round Comp pick for him in 2007. Yippie.

This draft is deep at CB, so that idea isn't drug induced, as some MENSA members suggested.  :rolleyes:

313553[/snapback]

Can't we tag him?

313549[/snapback]

I haven't seen him play much, but I've read that the team really likes him & Frank Coyle ,who can watch film & correctly judge players like linemen (who are tough to focus on unless you're specifically watching what they're doing) a lot better than when I watch them loves the guy.

If McNally likes him I'll trust his judgement.

It's more of a feeling that they have to fill the gap in their starting lineup than worry about next year or 2007.

Knocks against Terry are lack of aggression & the need to increase his strength. He's huge & could easily carry 330+ lbs after we get him into a conditioning program & McNally & JP put the pep in his step.

This draft is deep at CB, so that idea isn't drug induced, as some MENSA members suggested.  :rolleyes:

313553[/snapback]

What I found to be the most stunning thing about the Surtain trade is that he was said to be under contract for 5 mil per year. Not enough, huh? :) Do you know how many years he had left on his contract before the trade?

Looking at the trade, it is crystal clear from where I sit that NC will be absolutely gone after this year. He will want a salary/bonus on par with that of Walter Jones, perhaps higher. I just cant see Ralph forking over a 15 or 20 million dollar bonus to a corner.

In that sense, there is no reason not to think a trade is at least a possibility.

We lost Pat Williams and are moving Bannan to the OL and Sam Adams is getting long in the tooth.  Meanwhile the OL has picked up Gandy, Anderson and Bannan while losing Jennings, Pucillo and Price.  Seems like the OL broke even and the DL is down two.

313533[/snapback]

But we signed DT LaWaylon Brown yesterday :w00t: In all seriousness, I think we got best available athlete but favor a CB because of the Clements situation. Another indicator is we surprisingly haven't officially signed nickel back Kevin Thomas, even though he is a RFA and can't go anywhere else now that the deadline for other team's to make offers is over.

Mark-Anything of interest in today's Buffalo News that we might want to know about?  I can't wait until 9, when it reaches the web.  Anything about kickers?  I'm looking 6th or 7th round to give the boot to Lindell, Chris Onorato(Hofstra)or John Marino (McNeese St.).  Unfortunately, we'll never get near Nugent.  My fears are the Jets will take him in the 2nd. 

I'm still going with Adam Terry as our 1st pick.  The kid was on Albany's channel 13 a couple of nights ago & said he'd be happy going 2nd or 3rd round.

313545[/snapback]

Harv - The only other Kicker I've read several positive reviews on is Tyler Jones of Boise St. - Strong leg. Deep kickoffs that reach the end zone. Can kick the 50 + yard FG. Consistent and straight. 22-25 last season. Was kicking in the high altitude but impressed off the pro tee in workouts.

We lost Pat Williams and are moving Bannan to the OL and Sam Adams is getting long in the tooth.  Meanwhile the OL has picked up Gandy, Anderson and Bannan while losing Jennings, Pucillo and Price.  Seems like the OL broke even and the DL is down two.

Second round DT's:

Luis Castillo                              6-3, 305              4.85                Northwestern

Mike Patterson                          6-0, 290              5.05                USC

Attiyah Ellison                            6-4, 305              5.05                Missouri

Anttaj Hawthorne                      6-3, 321              5.12                Wisconsin (O)

My wish:  Mike Nugent.  If we had Christie instead of Norwood in 1990, we would have won that Super Bowl, no doubt.  I don't want to be writing next January that if we had Nugent instead of Lindell we would have won the Super Bowl.

313533[/snapback]

100% Agree...

Which is a problem because I'm rarely right when it comes to who TD/TM will Draft... :w00t:

If we had Christie instead of Norwood in 1990, we would have won that Super Bowl, no doubt.

313533[/snapback]

If Kelly would have called more running plays against the 2 down linemen look the NYG were giving us, we would have won that game.

If the defense would have been able to get off the field in the 2nd half we would've won that game.

All of that said, I'm really hoping we're able to land Hawthorne, Travis Johnson (Fl St 6-4 305), or Lorenzo ALexander (Cal 6-2 300) at DT if they draft that position in the 2nd. Although with crazy TD, I've given up trying to figure out what he's going to do on draft day! :w00t:

I really hope its not a DT, simply because I think Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson should at least get a shot at filling the shoes of Pat Williams instead of immediately brushing them aside. I think Edwards is fully capable of stepping in, and there was a reason we drafted Anderson on Day One last year. I dont think it'll be a DT.

IMO, its going to be a OT or a CB. Although...I have a weird feeling that we'll be taking a WR earlier than most people think.