Does the Surtain Deal Trigger ...

Mark VI

Did TD see those figures today and think " That's too much for us " and make some calls ?

Henry will attract a 2nd or 3rd rounder, regardless of our yelling. Tomorrow may be the last chance to get anything for Clements before he walks after 2005. Forget that franchise and trade idea. That was a one time gift ( Peerless Price) with a known partner ( Atlanta). Too big a gamble.

I'm tired of watching players asking for the moon and walk.. only receiving a mid round comp pick, at best, the following year. BFD.

This draft has one position loaded with talent..CB. Let's see what happens.

I think the biggest factor in terms of whether NC is traded is, have previous attempts by TD to extend NC's contract fallen on deaf ears??  Only TD knows...

313024[/snapback]

Jonas Jennings agent told TD last summer that he wanted an 8 figure signing bonus after 2004. Jennings played out the year and got a 12 Mil bonus in a 36 Mil contract from San Fran. We received nothing.

Maybe TD already heard the same request from Nates' agent. Surtains contract today ( 50 Mil + ) didn't help.

I didn't want to trade Clements, I'd rather resign him. BUT if he is just going to be a FA after this season and we get compensated NOTHING, then it's time to get a fair return on our investment.

I made all kinds of trade scenarios, but the responses are rather negative, so I won't make one now. The only point that I want to make about trading (reguardless who it is) is there can be many variations that can be spun from it.

It's time to get us some draft pick(s) and/or veteran player(s).

There's no way in hell the Bills should make a deal like Miami did. Saban got rooked because he was looking to dump salary. Donahoe would be a fool to do the same.

Can you imagine Nate Clements for a 2nd rounder? Give me a break. This guy's going to have a monster contract year, and everyone's willing to throw that away because he MIGHT walk. Sorry, but that's a loser mentality.

Let him play and contribute. If the Bills make the playoffs, make him decide if he wants to stay with a winner (that he helped to build), or make more money in a loony-bin like Washington.

That's how the Pats and Eagles would do it.

I didn't want to trade Clements, I'd rather resign him. BUT if he is just going to be a FA after this season and we get compensated NOTHING, then it's time to get a fair return on our investment.

313031[/snapback]

Now that the cap will be accelerating at a higher rate in the near future, this exactl statement can be modified as:

I didn't want to trade Player X, I'd rather resign him. BUT if he is just going to be a FA after this season and we get compensated NOTHING, then it's time to get a fair return on our investment.

It wcould be the Bills mission statement.

Jonas Jennings agent told TD last summer that he wanted an 8 figure signing bonus after 2004. Jennings played out the year and got a 12 Mil bonus in a 36 Mil contract from San Fran. We received nothing.

Maybe TD already heard the same request from Nates' agent. Surtains contract today ( 50 Mil + ) didn't help.

313030[/snapback]

I'm with you. I'm all in favor of getting something more than a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2007 when NC walks. I've said it before and it's just a hunch, but NC is going to attempt to break the bank in F/A.

There is always going to be player turnover in this era of the salary cap, but teams have to try and maximize the return on their investment. In this case, if NC, doesn't want to be extended, trade his a$$ now and move on. The Pats lose players every year and don't skip a beat. There is no reason to believe that the Bills still can't be successful, if they trade NC this weekend.

If TD honestly thinks we can't afford him, which I don't think we will, then yes, we need to deal him now. I'd rather invest that kind of money to improve the pass rush because a solid pass rush can make almost any secondary look good.

That said, a secondary of Vincent, McGee, Milloy, and Greer or another vet is still a very good secondary.

There's no way in hell the Bills should make a deal like Miami did.  Saban got rooked because he was looking to dump salary.  Donahoe would be a fool to do the same.

Can you imagine Nate Clements for a 2nd rounder?  Give me a break.  This guy's going to have a monster contract year, and everyone's willing to throw that away because he MIGHT walk.  Sorry, but that's a loser mentality.

Let him play and contribute.  If the Bills make the playoffs, make him decide if he wants to stay with a winner (that he helped to build), or make more money in a loony-bin like Washington.

313033[/snapback]

I agree that this is a loser mentality. You play to WIN by putting your best players on the field.

Nate can be dealt with later, it can't be as bad as some people on here make it seem. It's not like TD doesnt know whats coming. The man has a plan. Let him execute, it was his savy that netted us Clements in the first place(plus T Hen!) so thinka bout how far this one draft pick has taken TD. The guy seems to know what he's doing.

Surtain is a much better corner than many around here seem to credit him for. I think Nate's deal would only be for moderately more that Surtain, and that Nate is worth it. We need to get return on our time invested in Nate THIS YEAR, and that can only be done through a player (not going to happen), OR by Nate playing this season for the Bills. If you keep trading draftees after 3 seasons, you will never have a team that can compete for a championship, let alone playoffs.

There's no way in hell the Bills should make a deal like Miami did.  Saban got rooked because he was looking to dump salary.  Donahoe would be a fool to do the same.

Can you imagine Nate Clements for a 2nd rounder?  Give me a break.  This guy's going to have a monster contract year, and everyone's willing to throw that away because he MIGHT walk.  Sorry, but that's a loser mentality.

Let him play and contribute.  If the Bills make the playoffs, make him decide if he wants to stay with a winner (that he helped to build), or make more money in a loony-bin like Washington.

313033[/snapback]

I agree, and if we can't resign him we tag him. Anyone who thinks this is a risk and we can't get at least a #1 is CRAZY.

Surtain is a much better corner than many around here seem to credit him for. I think Nate's deal would only be for moderately more that Surtain, and that Nate is worth it. We need to get return on our time invested in Nate THIS YEAR, and that can only be done through a player (not going to happen), OR by Nate playing this season for the Bills. If you keep trading draftees after 3 seasons, you will never have a team that can compete for a championship, let alone playoffs.

313050[/snapback]

The other side of the fence...you have to get the players contracts extended before they get their eyes set on F/A. That being said, you can't extend a player who doesn't want any part of it, but if you wait until the player has one year to go on his contract and is coming off a pro bowl year, forget any thoughts about getting him re-signed in most cases.

The other side of the fence...you have to get the players contracts extended before they get their eyes set on F/A.  That being said, you can't extend a player who doesn't want any part of it, but if you wait until the player has one year to go on his contract and is coming off a pro bowl year, forget any thoughts about getting him re-signed in most cases.

313058[/snapback]

Very true and duly noted...

It's a classic lose-lose for TD and the Bills. Keep Clements for 2005 and then he walks to Washington and what everyone knows will now be a $55+ million contract offer and then everyone and their mother will be bitching how the Bills got nothing for Clemens. If the Bills trade him for a first round pick now, everyone will be bitching how the Bills are rebuilding again and why did they let him go and not try and resign him for $4-$5 million a season. I say trade him right now and get someone who will be here for 3-4 years at a cheaper price. That's they way the NFL works nowadays.

It's a classic lose-lose for TD and the Bills. Keep Clements for 2005 and then he walks to Washington and what everyone knows will now be a $55+ million contract offer and then everyone and their mother will be bitching how the Bills got nothing for Clemens. If the Bills trade him for a first round pick now, everyone will be bitching how the Bills are rebuilding again and why did they let him go and not try and resign him for $4-$5 million a season. I say trade him right now and get someone who will be here for 3-4 years at a cheaper price. That's they way the NFL works nowadays.

313075[/snapback]

The Bills win if Clements improves on his effort from last year. 8-9 picks, with a few TDs make the Bills a clear winner, regardless of what he decides to do next year.

The Bills win if Clements improves on his effort from last year.  8-9 picks, with a few TDs make the Bills a clear winner, regardless of what he decides to do next year.

313090[/snapback]

Exactly :rolleyes:

If Clements plays this year and walks, so be it. In the Cap age, you have a core of 8-12 guys, at most, you sign long term .

Is Nate one of those guys ? More importantly, does TD see him that way ? He gave the big $$ to Moulds a few years back. He made a big investment in Spikes, Fletcher, Mike Williams and others. Losman,Evans and MaGahee got fairly good rookie contracts.

Is Nate worth 7 years, 45-50 Mil and a huge bonus ? That's what TD and co. must decide.