Bills DL changes = improved run D (Joe B Athletic Article)

https://theathletic.com/2115216/2020/10/05/seven-observations-from-bills-win-josh-allen-dominates-defense-shows-up/

Joe B. argues that the improved run D was no accident, with a change-up in personnel on the D-line being responsible:

"Last week, the Bills used Ed Oliver at three-technique and started Quinton Jefferson next to him at one-technique. On the back half of their rotation, they had Vernon Butler line up at three-technique, next to one-technique Harrison Phillips. The problem is, Jefferson isn’t well-suited to hold the point of attack and help the run game as the one-technique and the Rams took advantage."

"This week, the Bills switched things immediately and gave Phillips the start at one-technique next to Oliver. Then, when the Bills went to their rotation, they subbed in Jefferson for Oliver at three-technique, and Butler made the switch to one-technique. The results were night and day against the run. The combination of Oliver and Phillips was on the field for 35 snaps and allowed only 47 rushing yards on 13 carries by running backs (an average of 3.6 yards per carry). Seven of those rushing attempts went for 2 or fewer yards. Jefferson and Butler were even better. They were on the field together for 30 snaps and allowed just 19 yards on six attempts to running backs, or 3.2 yards per carry. Of those yards, 16 of the 19 were gained on one play."

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 9

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I noticed that and saw the difference immediately.  I’m really surprised they would even try Jefferson at the 1 tech and Phillips at the 3. Maybe they thought he knew couldn’t hold up at the1

I'm sure they did it to try to get extra pressure on Goff since Goff is terrible under pressure. Jefferson is the better pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Who could have thought that a 6’4” 290lb 1 tech would struggle there. Thought it was obvious to pair a bigger guy with a smaller guy unless it’s an obvious pass down. 

I think this is one of those things where it's more about the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight, than one would think.

I was always told Kyle Williams "didn't block enough daylight" to be a good NT or even an NFL DT.  13 year career and 6 probowls later....

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm sure they did it to try to get extra pressure on Goff since Goff is terrible under pressure. Jefferson is the better pass rusher.

Makes sense.  I think they did it vs Miami and the Jets too.  Could be wrong

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this is one of those things where it's more about the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight, than one would think.

I was always told Kyle Williams "didn't block enough daylight" to be a good NT or even an NFL DT.  13 year career and 6 probowls later....

Kyle had a ton of fight but was the leader of some bad run defenses though. He was an amazing pass rushing DT but wasn’t great at NT and as a run stuffer. He was more of a one gap 3 tech than a 2 gap 1tech. That’s why we ended up spending the no 3 overall pick on a bigger DT to play next to him. 

Jefferson is taller for an interior lineman too. Makes it harder to get leverage and hold your ground especially when you’re lighter. 

The Rams also run a lot to set up play action passes so having your one gap rush DT playing 1tech puts a bigger responsibility on the LBs to fill their gaps with a bigger chance of an OL getting a block on them. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Makes sense.  I think they did it vs Miami and the Jets too.  Could be wrong

Well I noticed they blitzed Fitzpatrick an awful lot and I was begging for them to stop because he was really getting it out fast and delivering a strike in the face of every blitz. I wanted them to drop in coverage more against him.

Makes sense to blitz Darnold a lot though, or at least line up the guys who can get pressure on him.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well I noticed they blitzed Fitzpatrick an awful lot and I was begging for them to stop because he was really getting it out fast and delivering a strike in the face of every blitz. I wanted them to drop in coverage more against him.

I think the Bills were trying to compensate for the drop-off in coverage with Edmunds and Milano out.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills were trying to compensate for the drop-off in coverage with Edmunds and Milano out.

Agreed.  Have I mentioned that I can’t stand Aj Klein?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

The "Klein Problem" is really a "Del'shawn Phillips" problem.  Klein has been playing out of position because Phillips was injured.  Klein is meant to be Lorax's replacement, a SLB at the point of attack kind of guy- not a coverage in space guy.

So yes,  I can't stand him at all so far, but it's not really his fault.  He was forced into playing a position he's not suited to play.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I have nothing against AJ Klein, but I'm far from convinced he's a capable NFL-quality LB in the Bills defensive system.

Dodson > Klein

Just now, Doc said:

Glad to see they changed things up and it worked.  Now, what to do about Milano being out?  Dodson starting at MLB and Edmunds at Milano's spot?

Pretty sure McDermott and Frazier have it written in stone that Edmunds is Their Guy at MLB

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty sure McDermott and Frazier have it written in stone that Edmunds is Their Guy at MLB

Yeah but injuries can and do change things.  And it wouldn't be permanent.

Edited by Doc