OT: First big Job Interview Today...

mtdoak

Hey all,

I've got my first big job interview today!  With Robert Half Technologies of Detroit.  I just picked up my new suit and I'm nervous!  Wish me luck!

312443[/snapback]

Good luck!

Make sure to say 'No thank you' when they offer you something to drink, cause if you spill it on your tie, you're all done.

Hey all,

I've got my first big job interview today!  With Robert Half Technologies of Detroit.  I just picked up my new suit and I'm nervous!  Wish me luck!

312443[/snapback]

Cool! Detroit, rock city! Road trip! But if you see a teenage girl walking along the side of the highway, don't pick her up. I mean, they, they, they make scary movies that start out like that.

ah, yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, asking what the salary is, is a smallllllllllllllllll little joke!!!!!!!!

are you kidding me, if the kdi goes and asks that, he is a tool. clearly, that was a joke.

Talking salary does not happen until AFTER a job offer is made. Don't even mention it.

312694[/snapback]

ah, yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, asking what the salary is, is a smallllllllllllllllll little joke!!!!!!!!

are you kidding me, if the kdi goes and asks that, he is a tool.  clearly, that was a joke.

312713[/snapback]

I figured it might be, but having just been through the whole college, first job thing... it's amazing how many people are not aware that you do not ask for salary info until after an offer is made. It's not obvious to everyone.

Hey all,

312443[/snapback]

Having had 2 interviews in the last two weeks resulting in two offers (yeah !), I can offer a few quick ideas. I am experienced and not a first time hire:

- Offer a firm but not hard handshake

- Don't sit till asked

- Make eye contact, don't stare

- Put all your energy in your replies as if that is the only thing that will keep you alive

- At the end of the interview, tell them that you are very inteersted in the position and will look forward to hearing from them soon. Seems obvious, but just say it !

- Send a thank you e-mail within the next day

- As others have said, don't even mention salary. If asked about your expectations, deflect and say you would rather see if thereis a good fit and then discuss that at a later date.

Good luck ! Now I am in an enviable situation of choosing between three options- the two companies and staying with mine.

Talking salary does not happen until AFTER a job offer is made. Don't even mention it.

312694[/snapback]

thats really not true. you need to get some expectation of what the salary range will be,but the specifics are negotiated after the offer is made

Having had 2 interviews in the last two weeks resulting in two offers (yeah !), I can offer a few quick ideas. I am experienced and not a first time hire:

- Offer a firm but not hard handshake

- Don't sit till asked

- Make eye contact, don't stare

- Put all your energy in your replies as if that is the only thing that will keep you alive

- At the end of the interview, tell them that you are very inteersted in the position and will look forward to hearing from them soon. Seems obvious, but just say it !

- Send a thank you e-mail within the next day

- As others have said, don't even mention salary. If asked about your expectations, deflect and say you would rather see if thereis a good fit and then discuss that at a  later date.

Good luck ! Now I am in an enviable situation of choosing between three options- the two companies and staying with mine.

312888[/snapback]

Dont forget to ask for the job - if you decide you want it. most people don't do this, and its something hiring managers look for

Hey all,

312443[/snapback]

They are just a head hunter. They are going to love you because they see you as a walking piece of money.

Dont forget to ask for the job - if you decide you want it.  most people don't do this, and its something hiring managers look for

312897[/snapback]

Good point, Especially if its a sales type job. They want to see if you can ask for the order, or go for the close.