More signs it looks like Travis to Cards

Cards ready for second draft under Green

Associated Press

Apr. 21, 2005 01:45 PM

TEMPE, Ariz. - The best move the Arizona Cardinals make in the first round of the draft Saturday might be a trade.

Their most glaring personnel needs are at running back and cornerback, and coach Dennis Green proved last year he's not afraid to play rookies, finishing the season with four such starters.

But Green also has a thing for established, underutilized players, which is how he regards Buffalo's Travis Henry. Green called Henry "the best backup running back in the NFL."

Both front offices have downplayed talk about a trade that would send Arizona offensive tackle L.J. Shelton to the Bills for Henry, but that doesn't mean the deal is off the table.

"He's looking for a place to go in, help somebody win and be a part of what they're doing, and I think he has viewed this as that kind of opportunity," Green said. "And, we've looked at it and tried to weigh it too ... a player who's a veteran who's already proven and gotten yardage, against some guys who we think will be very good players, but right now they haven't rushed for one yard, let alone 3,000."

In the same interview, Green mentioned Marcel Shipp, who sat out last season with leg and ankle injuries, and Troy Hamrick, who gained 283 yards in 63 carries before he, too, went on injured reserve with six games remaining.

Both are expected back to joust for the starting job vacated when Emmitt Smith retired.

"We've got seven picks we feel excited about," Green said. "We will not be driven by deciding you've got to have a back."

The second-year Cardinals coach can throw up a smoke screen with the best, but last year he made no secret of his admiration for wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, a former Minnesota Vikings ball boy. Green stayed with Fitzgerald all the way, taking him No. 3 overall.

The Cardinals pick eighth Saturday, and there doesn't seem to be a clear favorite this time - perhaps because three running backs and three cornerbacks could go in the first dozen picks.

Smith's retirement and the trade of Duane Starks to New England for one of this year's two third-round draft picks made it imperative to fill those spots with potential starters.

Miami's Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rogers of Auburn and West Virginia's Adam Jones are considered the best cornerbacks, and Green called all three outstanding.

He also praised running backs Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams of Auburn and Cedric Benson of Texas, none of whom may be available by the time Arizona is on the clock.

"Those are always some of the more highly sought-after positions with respect to the top players," football operations vice president Rod Graves said. "So we've got to be prepared that whatever position we're focused on, if it's not there we'll be prepared for the next guy."

I would be surprised if TH and the swap of seconds doesn't happen, although I think TD also has something else up his sleeve.

I would be surprised if TH and the swap of seconds doesn't happen, although I think TD also has something else up his sleeve.

312200[/snapback]

>>>>>But Green also has a thing for established, underutilized players, which is how he regards Buffalo's Travis Henry. Green called Henry "the best backup running back in the NFL."<<<<<

Do you consider this a compliment? :P:rolleyes:

>>>>>But Green also has a thing for established, underutilized players, which is how he regards Buffalo's Travis Henry. Green called Henry "the best backup running back in the NFL."<<<<<

Do you consider this a compliment?  :P  :rolleyes:

312203[/snapback]

When added to the next paragraph when he says Travis is more of a sure thing than any of the top three running backs, sure.

When added to the next paragraph when he says Travis is more of a sure thing than any of the top three running backs, sure.

312205[/snapback]

>>>>>In the same interview, Green mentioned Marcel Shipp, who sat out last season with leg and ankle injuries, and Troy Hamrick, who gained 283 yards in 63 carries before he, too, went on injured reserve with six games remaining.<<<<<

And then in the following (above) paragraph he placed him in the company of some all-time greats, right?! :rolleyes::P;):D:D

>>>>>In the same interview, Green mentioned Marcel Shipp, who sat out last season with leg and ankle injuries, and Troy Hamrick, who gained 283 yards in 63 carries before he, too, went on injured reserve with six games remaining.<<<<<

And then in the following (above) paragraph he placed him in the company of some all-time greats, right?!  :P  ;)  :D  :D  :D

312211[/snapback]

Just says he "mentioned them". Could have meant he mentioned them as being so bad we have to trade for a worthless pedophile. :rolleyes:

Just says he "mentioned them". Could have meant he mentioned them as being so bad we have to trade for a worthless pedophile.  :rolleyes:

312224[/snapback]

I guess that it is safe to say that people have different ways of interpreting things. To you, it seems that calling Travis a "backup" and mentioning him in the same vein as two stiffs is a compliment. So be it.

I dont always do a good job, but as a fan I try to stay focused on the true picture rather than being a tunnel vision "homer" in terms of judging talent. Otherwise, I would see no reason to devote so much time and money into my hobby, my beloved Buffalo Bills Football Team. :P

I guess that it is safe to say that people have different ways of interpreting things. To you, it seems that calling Travis a "backup" and mentioning him in the same vein as two stiffs is a compliment. So be it.

I dont always do a good job, but as a fan I try to stay focused on the true picture rather than being a tunnel vision "homer" in terms of judging talent. Otherwise, I would see no reason to devote so much time and money into my hobby, my beloved Buffalo Bills Football Team.  :rolleyes:

312230[/snapback]

No, I looked at what Green actually said, in context, as a whole, and didn't cherry-pick a single phrase out of context to imply something negative that wasn't said.

I dont always do a good job, but as a fan I try to stay focused on the true picture rather than being a tunnel vision "homer" in terms of judging talent. Otherwise, I would see no reason to devote so much time and money into my hobby, my beloved Buffalo Bills Football Team.  :rolleyes:

312230[/snapback]

Come on Bill... I hear what you're saying generally about Travis' skills (it's hard not to), but you're really stretching with this one. Green thinks highly of Henry. That's established by now. He wasn't dissing him by calling him "the best backup running back in the league" - I guarantee you that wasn't a backhanded compliment.

No, I looked at what Green actually said, in context, as a whole, and didn't cherry-pick a single phrase out of context to imply something negative that wasn't said.

312231[/snapback]

Well, I think that the above describes both of our respective natures. Fair enough? :rolleyes:

I dont know about you, but I am extremely anxious to see how this plays out. All we can do is hope that you are right about the value of TH, because I am all but positive that he will NOT be a Buffalo Bill this season, one way or another. :P

Come on Bill... I hear what you're saying generally about Travis' skills (it's hard not to), but you're really stretching with this one.  Green thinks highly of Henry.  That's established by now.  He wasn't dissing him by calling him "the best backup running back in the league" - I guarantee you that wasn't a backhanded compliment.

312232[/snapback]

Coach, this time of year i dont believe any coach nor GM in the NFL. I am sure that Green was posturing in some way, but he wasn't exactly lavishing TH with praise, or so it seemed.

Eh, you may be right Bill. Dr. Z's take:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...art1/index.html

If the trade for Bills RB Travis Henry goes through, then Dennis Green will take the best corner remaining -- Rolle, Pac Man or Auburn's Carlos Rogers. Green says the deal -- Henry for tackle L.J. Shelton, plus they'd switch second round positions, Arizona's No. 44 for Buffalo's No. 55 -- could happen. But, he says, the Bills seem to want more, which is what's holding up the trade. They'd be happy to get Shelton, he adds. Didn't seem right. Why would the Bills want Shelton, a great big right-tackle type coming off a knee injury? They need a left, not a right tackle. So I called my man on the Bills. "Why would we want Shelton?" he said. "We need a left, not a right tackle." Huh? I tapped the side of my head to let some of the sawdust fall out. Didn't I just hear that somewhere?

Eh, you may be right Bill.  Dr. Z's take:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...art1/index.html

If the trade for Bills RB Travis Henry goes through, then Dennis Green will take the best corner remaining -- Rolle, Pac Man or Auburn's Carlos Rogers. Green says the deal -- Henry for tackle L.J. Shelton, plus they'd switch second round positions, Arizona's No. 44 for Buffalo's No. 55 -- could happen. But, he says, the Bills seem to want more, which is what's holding up the trade. They'd be happy to get Shelton, he adds. Didn't seem right. Why would the Bills want Shelton, a great big right-tackle type coming off a knee injury? They need a left, not a right tackle. So I called my man on the Bills. "Why would we want Shelton?" he said. "We need a left, not a right tackle." Huh? I tapped the side of my head to let some of the sawdust fall out. Didn't I just hear that somewhere?

312247[/snapback]

Apparently Dr. ZZZZZZZ has been snoozing for seven years or so. LJ Shelton is a left tackle. He played three years in college at LT. He played four straight seasons at AZ at LT. He played RT last year because of injury to the right tackle.

http://azcardinals.com/team/player_bio.html?iid=63

And that paragraph implies the Bills want even more than Shelton and a swap. Cool.

It's true that Shelton has played more left than right tackle, but he struggles sometimes with speed rushers. He's got good size and strength so in the minds of some people he may be a better fit at RT than LT. The question is who is Dr. Z's man on the inside of the Bills, and does he really speak for the Bills thinking in this. If the Bills really feel that way about a Shelton trade, why let the rumor stay alive so long? Is TD just using Arizona's interest in TH as leverage to get a better deal from someone else (Philadelphia)?

Well, I think that the above describes both of our respective natures. Fair enough?  :rolleyes:

I dont know about you, but I am extremely anxious to see how this plays out. All we can do is hope that you are right about the value of TH, because I am all but positive that he will NOT be a Buffalo Bill this season, one way or another.  :P

312237[/snapback]

Bill- The other interesting thing for us board faithful will be to see how you handle what reality has to offer regarding TD's handling of the TH situation and of how professionals evaluate Henry;s worth as compared to the views of us psychotic fans.

We will see as the dratt plays out over two days some results regarding these two issues.

You have been a consistent voice labeling Henry as essentially a non-contributor who I believe you said at several points might as well be cut rather than waste time on this bad player.

Others (foolishly in my mind) said we would get a first round pick for TH.

While I still think that both these views are extreme and wrong, certainly the one which looks more realistic even if its unlikely is the second view that in the draft furor there may even prove to be a first for Henry (though I really doubt this will happen).

The Iggles, AZ. TB and Miaimi are all publicly on record paraising Henry and setting up an expectation for their customers and players that they will get him or a player of equivalent quality at RB this year. I think the views you have expressed not only say that Green is blowing smoke but in fact all four of these teams are blowing smoke onHenry.

Maybe, but the idea that none of these 4 are serious at all seems to be quite unlikely. At any rate we will see this weekend and you have been so consistent and strident in your views that if it turns out the way things are headed that the Bills will get at least the #2 thet have publicly stated was Henry's worth, if this turns our to be the case a post from you that acknowledges this reality would seem to be merited lest you would like a place in the TSW Hall of Humor next to ICE.

All the tea leaves certainly point to TD handling this situation just about perfectly. he got:

1. Through the season with TH keeping his mouth shut while WM took his job and the Travis haters were pretty much reduced to some weird reading of his body language and pouting to claim he was a cancer (Wickey Williams is a cancer. at wrse Henry is a easily ignored cold).

2. TH's agent to do the work of soliciting interest in Henry and surveying the market for TD. Judging from the public outcome of 4 teams going on record stating their interest when TH\s crew placed the number at 5 is pretty good.

3. Used TH's agent doing the selling to allow him to not make any promises to potential buyers to solicit their interest in Henry. This put the Bills in a command position in any trade talks as the other teams came to us first presenting their offers to buy rather than the Bills coming hat in hand making low enough offers to sale.

4. Provided a clear contrast to how Green and AZ managed trading Shelton vs TD trading Henry. By bad-mouthing Shelton and acquiring his high priced replaments making getting rid of Shelton essential for AZ, Green has effectively destroyed his market value. On the other hand TD has continually stated he would love to have Henry back unless he gets a good deal. I don't think TD wants him back at all, but by ignoring Henry's "I ain't comin back bleating" he has maintained Henry's trade value.

It may still turn out that the draft goes poorly and the 3 high-profile RBs last until the #8 pick but it is hard for me to see where TD has not handled this situation as well as it could be handled and thank gosh he did not panic and cut Henry when folks suggested it,

You may laugh last if some extraordinary things happen, but methinks you should prepare yourself to simply admit you were all wrong in assessing what the professionals thought (rightly or wrongly) and about how TD has handled this.

I think it is pretty clear that TD handled this about as well as it could be handled and even if through the draft going in a bas way for Henry's value I think it will be hard to credibly fault him as the situation appears to me that should the Bills choose to keep Henry, it will be rough dealing with fence-meding which needs to happen. but Henry will have few other options than to put on a happy face and suck it up and hope for a not impossible injury to WM so he can get in and roll up some rep for when he hits the FA market at the end ofthe year.

I don't think the Bills want Shelton or want to pay him $3 million a year. The "experts" are all idiots.

Philadelphia has 13 picks in this draft. Their first 2nd round pick is #35, Arizona's is 44th. Henry and the Bills 55th for Shelton and the Cards 44th is not enough for Travis Henry especially when their are three or more teams interested. Philly's 2nd and another pick is better than Shelton and swapping picks.

Regardless, Henry is gone by tommorrow night. Depends on what the best offer is and Arizona hasn't offered much of anything.

Apparently Dr. ZZZZZZZ has been snoozing for seven years or so. LJ Shelton is a left tackle. He played three years in college at LT. He played four straight seasons at AZ at LT. He played RT last year because of injury to the right tackle.

http://azcardinals.com/team/player_bio.html?iid=63

And that paragraph implies the Bills want even more than Shelton and a swap. Cool.

312267[/snapback]

Actually Z calls Shelton a "right tackle-type", which implies that he excels at run-blocking but doesn't have the feet or athleticism you want from a left tackle - and I think that's accurate. Up until a couple of days ago, I was convinced, like you, that most of this stuff was a smokescreen and that Shelton to the Bills was inevitable - now I'm not so sure. In fact, I'm pretty sure we won't be trading with the Cardinals, but rather with the Eagles, and we'll be drafting our starting LT in this draft (perhaps in the later rounds, perhaps packaging some picks to get into Round 1 to grab Jamaal Brown).

TD is playing the media like a fiddle as we speak. In reality, we have no clue to what is going on. Last night, Ch.7's John Murphy said that several teams have called TD in the last couple of days, offering draft picks for Henry. Looks like Denny Green may have lost the poker game with TD and is stuck with a 3 Mil backup at OT. ( who knows the Bills true interest in Shelton ? ).

That's what makes the next 48 hours so exciting.

Did anyone see ESPN and Dennis Green last night? He was very much against the Travis Henry deal. Inferring that the trade has stalled. He said something to the effect that if it didn't happen in the past 3 months, it won't happen.

TD knows that TH is more valuable than Shelton, and even more valuable than Shelton and a swap in the second... unless, a player falls to the 44th position that TD really really likes. I don't see the trade happening, unless Arizona gives that 44th pick, or if a player drops to number 44, and TD is overtempted by the offer to draft there.

Does anyone else think that the Cardinal uniforms are just as ugly as they were before??

I saw the Green interview last night as well. It was very humorous because you could tell that he still wants Travis but TD is frustrating the hell out him. My prediction is Henry doesn't go to the Cards, and we pick up Shelton in June after he is cut to compete with Khalif Barnes or Jamaal Brown, who we will trade up to get with our 2 2nd round picks. Henry to Philly.