Anybody here think Clements is worth 8 million

Law signed a 7-year contract in 1999.  Here are the cap hits, year by year.  Included in each years' figure is the $2 million pro rated portion of his $14 million signing bonus.

1999 - $3.5 million 

2000 - $4.0 million

2001 - $5.0 million

2002 - $6.7 million

2003 - $8.0 million

2004 - $8.8 million

2005 - $12 million (cut)

While they bit the bullet and kept Law in 2004 in hopes of making another super bowl run, there was no way they were going to pay him that kind of dough in 2005 or beyond.  To me, that implys they were NOT willing to carry a contract like that for more than one year...so I agree with you on that.

312289[/snapback]

Mr. Fury, Mr. Fury, take a step back... what exactly are you arguing? You were saying we shouldn't pay Nate Clements 8 million, with the reason apparently being that the Pats model is not to pay their CBs 8 million, but rather to pay only the QB and NOT the CB big bucks. And then you posted numbers in response to me in direct contradiction to your own theory!

The Pats DID choose to pay the 8 million to a CB in their model, and they liked the results so much they decided to pay him closer to 9 million the next year in their model. And guess what, THAT has been the successful model. The 8 or 9 million to a CB has won them Super Bowls the last two years. This coming year is the first time in recent history that they are NOT going to pay the 8-9 million to a CB, and we have yet to see if that model works. The over-paying model has worked swimmingly. The not paying model has yet to be tested. So why again, using the best model in the biz, can we not afford to pay Clements 8 million?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats DID choose to pay the 8 million to a CB in their model, and they liked the results so much they decided to pay him closer to 9 million the next year in their model. And guess what, THAT has been the successful model. The 8 or 9 million to a CB has won them Super Bowls the last two years.

312299[/snapback]

I guess the Pats found out last year you DON'T have to pay that kind of money to win the SB. :rolleyes:

We disagree...so be it.