Time Warner - Coming to Buffalo Niagara

From what I've heard, TW is better than Comcast... My in-laws have TWC and they have had several problems over the years, but nothing catastropic (except the cost).

That said, you should consider DirecTV (http://www.directv.com). You get Sunday Ticket, cheaper price (generally), better picture quality, TiVos (not the same as cable DVRs, trust me).

EDIT: Why is Comcast paying money in addition to TW? :huh:

CW

Until I can buy channels 'a la carte' I won't have too many positives to say about any cable or satellite company.

311675[/snapback]

You'll never be able to buy channels 'a la carte.' Why? Because some channels (like ESPN) charge the providers a fortune to air. Other channels (like shopping channels, for example) actually PAY the provider for the right to broadcast them. Some are in the middle.

The people who don't want ESPN, for example, are paying to keep the ESPN costs low. It's better to charge everyone $1 than to charge 20% of your audience $5. Plus, a lot of contracts (like ESPN) say that you have to offer their channel on the lowest tier (ie: can't turn ESPN into an HBO-like channel).

Because of all of this, you'll never be able to pick what channels you want.

CW

You'll never be able to buy channels 'a la carte.'  Why?  Because some channels (like ESPN) charge the providers a fortune to air.  Other channels (like shopping channels, for example) actually PAY the provider for the right to broadcast them.  Some are in the middle.

The people who don't want ESPN, for example, are paying to keep the ESPN costs low.  It's better to charge everyone $1 than to charge 20% of your audience $5.  Plus, a lot of contracts (like ESPN) say that you have to offer their channel on the lowest tier (ie: can't turn ESPN into an HBO-like channel).

CW

311735[/snapback]

Yep. The odd Congresscritter in order to get some face time raised the ala carte concept from time to time. In theory, they are right, but as you allude, in practice it is not so.

You'll never be able to buy channels 'a la carte.'  Why?  Because some channels (like ESPN) charge the providers a fortune to air.  Other channels (like shopping channels, for example) actually PAY the provider for the right to broadcast them.  Some are in the middle.

The people who don't want ESPN, for example, are paying to keep the ESPN costs low.  It's better to charge everyone $1 than to charge 20% of your audience $5.  Plus, a lot of contracts (like ESPN) say that you have to offer their channel on the lowest tier (ie: can't turn ESPN into an HBO-like channel).

CW

311735[/snapback]

That's a rather bold prediction. You are just explaining why the cable companies make it the case, not really demonstrating that it is impossibe to change. Congress could easily use its regulatory power to force the A La Carte option. Yes, people would pay per more per their channel if this was availible but some people pay $30 for a expanded cable when they only want one or two extra channels. A lot of these folks would be willing to fork over 5 or 6 dollars for ESPN rather than foot the bill for the whole expanded service. Just like although buying Word and Excel seperately is more expensive per program, many people rather buy the program they want than foot the bill for the entire office suite.

I have TW down here in G-boro, it's the only pony in town other than satellite, but I think they do a pretty good job except they don't carry the NFL Network.

311670[/snapback]

The NFL Network would be nice. As for your avatar... Who is the Flower?

:huh:

Why is Comcast paying money in addition to TW?  :huh:

Adelphia's cable systems are being split between TW and Comcast. For example, suburban Pittsburgh has Adelphia cable while Pittsburgh city has Comcast. Camcast will likely take over the cable there. In the Buffalo area, Time Warner will most likely take over the cable systems since they're the dominate provider in upstate NY and parts of NYC.

Did we ask you for an intelligent reply? NO!

I want to select only the channels I want, and screw all the food channels, religious channels, shopping channels, most of the news channels, 3 or 4 Disney & Nickelodeons each! I don't even want MTV anymore.

You know you are old when... you remember when MTV was about music videos. :rolleyes:

This is about "I want" not business! Sorry. :P

CW

311735[/snapback]

Um, let's keep the Fed out of it. They are really busy !@#$ing almost everything else up at the moment. :rolleyes:

That's a rather bold prediction. You are just explaining why the cable companies make it the case, not really demonstrating that it is impossibe to change. Congress could easily use its regulatory power to force the A La Carte option. Yes, people would pay per more per their channel if this was availible but some people pay $30 for a expanded cable when they only want one or two extra channels. A lot of these folks would be willing to fork over 5 or 6 dollars for ESPN rather than foot the bill for the whole expanded service. Just like although buying Word and Excel seperately is more expensive per program, many people rather buy the program they want than foot the bill for the entire office suite.

311852[/snapback]

For those with Time Warner in Rochester & Syracuse, what can I expect to pay for basic & digital cable along with the TW equivalent of Powerlink?  Please tell me it is less than the 110 a month I'm paying Adelphia.

Thanks!

312142[/snapback]

$95.90 for Digital/*RR* Combo.....add Digital Phone = $124.95. :rolleyes:

Until I can buy channels 'a la carte' I won't have too many positives to say about any cable or satellite company.

311675[/snapback]

Fahget about it.............