Bills and Tre close to extension?

Clemfield2622

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Really like to see Tre come back at just under 18 a year.  Given what cornerbacks are getting right now feel like he will reset the market, which should be somewhere around 17.8 a year.  I hope to God they get it done before the Rams do something stupid with Ramsey.

The top corner on the market is making 16.7 million (Darius Slay) and is not quite as good as Tre. I think Tre wants 20 million a year and the Bills want 18 million a year. I think they settle in around 19 million, somewhat team friendly but paying their best player and all around good citizen/culture setter.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I suspect that Tre's extension will not "kick in" until the 2022 season. By then hopefully the cap bumps back up and things become easier to manager for Tre's deal.

It can kick in whenever they want I believe.  All depends how they want to structure the contract.  Dawkins is taking the majority of his hit this year and next iirc.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh mentions in on the Pardon My Take podcast that was just posted. Tre is on as well.

Josh says (paraphrasing) "Tre will have plenty of his own money here pretty soon"

Josh is about to get fired for sharing private information about the team.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

They are waiting for Tre’s sore ankle to heal so he can dance 

AdoredLividBunting-size_restricted.gif

and then this 

tenor.gif?itemid=15752952

This ALONE makes it worth paying him! Being pretty good at football is icing on the cake! How do you NOT love that? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I doubt White gets done before Ramsey and Lattimore. But expect him to close almost immediately after they do.

Those 3 and Humphrey will all be pretty close. They are the best 4 young corners in the NFL. That is the elite group you are looking at for the next number of years. 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The top corner on the market is making 16.7 million (Darius Slay) and is not quite as good as Tre. I think Tre wants 20 million a year and the Bills want 18 million a year. I think they settle in around 19 million, somewhat team friendly but paying their best player and all around good citizen/culture setter.

Darius Slay is very good. He is the most obviously elite player in the NFL that nobody knows about because he played in Detroit. Think Tre had a slightly better 2019 than him but over the last 3 years combined Slay has played as well as anyone. He is awesome. White is 4 years younger though and that is gonna play into the difference in contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Those 3 and Humphrey will all be pretty close. They are the best 4 young corners in the NFL. That is the elite group you are looking at for the next number of years. 

Darius Slay is very good. He is the most obviously elite player in the NFL that nobody knows about because he played in Detroit. Think Tre had a slightly better 2019 than him but over the last 3 years combined Slay has played as well as anyone. He is awesome. White is 4 years younger though and that is gonna play into the difference in contracts. 

Slay is dam good top 12 to 5 corner the past 3 seasons, for sure. But Tre played like a top 20 corner his rookie year and then an underrated top 10 player in 2018 and was in my opinion the best corner in the league last year (and no doubt top 2.) So it isn't like Tre hasn't put up a good resume before 2019 either. Slay was definitely worth his money but I would still put Tre's resume as being slightly better AND Tre is much younger (And in any sport a contract is for what you are going to do not what you have done.) 

Slay will be 30 in January while Tre will turn 26 in January. That's another key difference. 

6 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

If Ramsey gets 20, Tre’s grandkids are set for life because Tre is gonna get paid.

They're are all jockeying for position and it all revolves around Ramsey. Tre or any other CB doesn't wants to sign until they see what Ramsey gets. Imagine Tre signing for 17M and the following day Ramsey gets 19/20M. I don't care how much it is, nobody likes leaving money on the table.

6 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Edited by billsbackto81

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Slay is dam good top 12 to 5 corner the past 3 seasons, for sure. But Tre played like a top 20 corner his rookie year and then an underrated top 10 player in 2018 and was in my opinion the best corner in the league last year (and no doubt top 2.) So it isn't like Tre hasn't put up a good resume before 2019 either. Slay was definitely worth his money but I would still put Tre's resume as being slightly better AND Tre is much younger (And in any sport a contract is for what you are going to do not what you have done.) 

Slay will be 30 in January while Tre will turn 26 in January. That's another key difference. 

Age is a difference and plays in Tre's favour in terms of contract. But Slay is a top 5 corner. He has been for 5 or 6 years. He is elite. The most underrated player in the NFL in that period. Not trying to insult Tre at all. He is elite and the Bills have to pay the man his money. But Darius Slay is an elite cornerback. He will get a lot more recognition now he is in Philly.