Bubble-like environment a possibility for NFL's postseason, league says

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seems hard to believe this will be necessary if they get to the postseason without the bubble...

It's more of a start and stop situation. They'll start, THEN they'll sit for perhaps 3 weeks, bubble up, and finish the season. There's no way they are playing more than 10 games total without a bubble.

45 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seems hard to believe this will be necessary if they get to the postseason without the bubble...

key players missing week 2 is a lot less dramatic than a franchise qb missing the super bowl.

1 minute ago, Formerly Thronethinker said:

If they are in a Bubble then Homefield will mean nothing. So you basically get in and you have no advantage other than a possible bye. 

without large numbers of fans it’s not a huge difference anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

Since we have absolutely no way to know what to expect, it’s very important to hash out all possible options. Making some kind of (flexible) plan is the prudent thing to do. Then be ready to wing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Photograph is from Washington Post article. Quote from ESPN.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl/nfl-oakley-come-up-with-face-shields-to-protect-players/2020/07/13/4b706f3a-c525-11ea-a825-8722004e4150_story.html

* Sills said that feedback has been "mixed" on a plastic mask designed by Oakley that attaches to helmets and is designed to minimize spread of the virus during practices and games. Concerns about the breathability of the mask have led Oakley to develop a new version that will soon be distributed, Sills said.

JKZCPFWFEUI6VKBFQ4RAATSBKA.jpg&w=916

48 minutes ago, Formerly Thronethinker said:

It would be a advantage for warm or dome teams not having to travel to cold climates. 

To be realistic, so few guys live in these cities year round or play a ton of games in weather... I’m fine seeing diggs play in a dome instead of snow when we need an important play. Sloppy weather is a wildcard and good teams would rather remove wild cards and just beat you.

2 hours ago, Formerly Thronethinker said:

If they are in a Bubble then Homefield will mean nothing. So you basically get in and you have no advantage other than a possible bye. 

AKA The LeBron James/Lakers excuse....

https://lakersdaily.com/lebron-james-issues-latest-complaint-nba-bubble-heels-game-1-defeat/

Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James hasn’t been thrilled about life in the NBA’s Orlando, Fla. bubble.

"What I did was absolutely nothing. There's nothing to do here besides play basketball."

I guess it depends on the regular season. If they get through it with limited incidents I don't see a need for a bubble. If they have tons of cases and require lots of replacement players, a bubble makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I find that hard to believe. Where are you going to get 14 (number of playoff teams) fields to practice on, film rooms, training rooms, etc? You can only share so much in the sport of football.

Yeah agree. Interested in how they think they will manage to do something like this.