OT-Lawsuit stupidity

http://www.nylawyer.com/display.php/file=/news/05/04/042005s

(use BugMeNot if you want to access link, though full article is posted below)

Woman Sues for Being Fired Over Piercing

New York Lawyer

April 20, 2005

By The Associated Press

WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- A woman who was fired by Costco in 2001 for refusing to remove her eyebrow ring has accused the company of religious discrimination, saying she is a member of the Church of Body Modification.

Kimberly M. Cloutier said she wears her eyebrow ring as a sign of faith. She has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to consider hearing the case.

The church, established in 1999, counts about 1,000 members who participate in practices such as piercing and tattooing, according to a December ruling by the First Circuit Court of Appeals, which upheld a trial judge's finding in Costco's favor.

Lynn A. Kappelman, a lawyer for Costco, declined to comment. The company has argued that Cloutier's beliefs are political or social instead of religious.

Cloutier's lawyer, Michael O. Shea, filed a petition Monday asking the Supreme Court consider hearing the case.

I'm torn. Her being fired for an eyebrow ring is stupid. But "The Church of Body Modification"?

but here's an idea

Hey guys, let's start the Church of Browsing the Internet at Work, so we can't get fired over it!

I'm torn. Her being fired for an eyebrow ring is stupid. But "The Church of Body Modification"?

but here's an idea

Hey guys, let's start the Church of Browsing the Internet at Work, so we can't get fired over it!

310633[/snapback]

I'm in. When do we get our tax exempt status?

but here's an idea

310633[/snapback]

I disagree. I don't believe it's stupid at all. It's more than acceptable for Costco to fire her for an eyebrow ring. Corporations have always had dress codes. In this case, "no face metal" is part of said code.

I don't even understand why this is an issue. If you wear jeans and a T-shirt to a law firm every day, you'll get canned. Same concept.

-Jeff

I'd be willing to bet that if she got canned for an eyebrow ring, they were just looking for an excuse to cut dead weight.

If this lady or any others like her would like to join my church, you can find me and my fellow worshipers behind the woodshed. Come on over.

310652[/snapback]

If she was willing to loose her job over a freakin' eyebrow ring, she was dead weight.

or she wore it, in purposeful, direct violation of the code, simply to get fired and bring a lawsuit, because we are "entitled" to money when we are wronged.

310688[/snapback]

Right on! I should get her to contact my lawyer, Jackie Chiles.

He once got me all the Java world coffee I could drink for a burn I recieved while smuggling a piping hot cup of coffee into the theatre that I purchased at their establishment........

or she wore it, in purposeful, direct violation of the code, simply to get fired and bring a lawsuit, because we are "entitled" to money when we are wronged.

310688[/snapback]

I'd argue that she's probably 17 years old and she felt that being asked to remove her face metal infringed on her right to express herself freely.