Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

3 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Can you direct me to the science that has observed a state/country with with at least a 10% positive rest rate while re-opening schools?

Genuinely curious. 

As far as I know some states in the US will be the guinea pigs for this.

Scandinavian countries never closed schools, and had no problems. You do know that there will be more problems with schools being closed then open. Would like to discuss this more with you but have an early afternoon tee time.

Just now, bilzfancy said:

Scandinavian countries never closed schools, and had no problems. 

Can you direct me to the science that has observed a state/country with with at least a 10% positive rest rate while re-opening schools?

I guess the answer is no.

Hope you break 90.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I guess the answer is no.

Hope you break 90.

Yeah, hope I break 90 too, here in Florida they want to open in a few weeks but it's the teachers union that's fighting that. I don't know of any state that has a 10% positive rate, but really only know about Florida

8 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Yeah, hope I break 90 too, here in Florida they want to open in a few weeks but it's the teachers union that's fighting that. I don't know of any state that has a 10% positive rate, but really only know about Florida

The state you live in - Florida - has cities/counties with a much higher than a 10% positivity rate. That's a big reason why the union is fighting that. The article below is 2 days old.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200722/coronavirus-florida-health-officials-see-hints-of-progress-as-rates-of-new-cases-positive-tests-dip

However, the percentage of Miami-Dade County residents testing positive remains high, signaling that the virus is spreading rapidly. On Wednesday, it reported that 16.7 percent of the 16,565 tests were positive.

While still far above the 10 percent rate sought by state health officials, it is the lowest positivity rate Miami-Dade has recorded in the last two weeks.

The state of Florida hasn't been under 10% since what looks like June

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously?

Sure seems that's what you imply I do with this little rant that follows the initial question.

If the people you work with are snowflakes, maybe you need to work harder solidifying your relationship with them so you can be more intellectually honest with them if they say or ask something dumb.

This a not your finest hour, Transpy.  Horrible take. 

Generally speaking, with respect to education, the customer can be defined as followed:

• Individuals and families compelled by law to contribute whatever amount is required. Failure to do so shall surely result in expense and ultimately, loss of property;
  • School children required by law to attend classes in a manner and location deemed appropriate by the state/BOE;
  • All facilities are designed and managed by the state, maintained by the state, and paid for by the customer;

Generally speaking, a teacher's compensation and/or benefit package is unaffected by performance any of the foregoing, and whether or not the customer is elated, disappointed or frustrated with the partnership, and in fact, whether or not the customer actually shows up at the arranged time and place to receive services for which they paid.  In short, a teacher's compensation model is unaffected by implying a customer has asked a dumb question, eye rolls, shoulder shrugs or outward frustration. 

In that regard, a teacher is quite privileged...and without consideration, that can lead to the conclusion that everyone else is in the same boat.

In the non-privileged world, one's ability to earn a living is dependent upon successful navigation of many factors, but mostly, providing what most would consider to be an acceptable level of customer service.  That typically includes not telling your customer that they have a tendency to ask dumb questions, even at the risk of failing to meet the intellectual honesty standard a teacher can strive for with impunity. 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:
Democrat governors are not giving up their lockdowns no matter how much they hurt people’s lives. With a total lack of irony, they ignore the real science calling for reopening the economy and schools, while at the same time they label “deniers” anyone who disagrees with fake climate change science.

Science is defined as “the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.”

Samples of science: Don’t wear masks, wear masks; coffee will kill you, coffee is good for you; chocolate will kill you, chocolate is good for you; fatty foods will kill you, carbs will kill you; the world will freeze in a nuclear winter, the oceans will bubble away as “kettle’s on the boil, [when] we’re so easily [led astray].”

C'mon B-Man, this author should know that science is only settled if the liberals agree with the consensus - with all dissent being crushed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

The state you live in - Florida - has cities/counties with a much higher than a 10% positivity rate. That's a big reason why the union is fighting that. The article below is 2 days old.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200722/coronavirus-florida-health-officials-see-hints-of-progress-as-rates-of-new-cases-positive-tests-dip

However, the percentage of Miami-Dade County residents testing positive remains high, signaling that the virus is spreading rapidly. On Wednesday, it reported that 16.7 percent of the 16,565 tests were positive.

While still far above the 10 percent rate sought by state health officials, it is the lowest positivity rate Miami-Dade has recorded in the last two weeks.

The state of Florida hasn't been under 10% since what looks like June

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida

The problem for Florida is many of the testing sites are not reporting the negative tests. Orlando Health had a site that forgot the decimal point making 9.8 into 98. And they did not do it once but many times. Also Miami Dade and Palm Beach are basically different worlds to the rest of Florida, they will continue to have higher tests than the rest of us due to the lack of proper behavior 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Where did you read/hear this? I think you are making up this rumor to make a point. 

*Some idiots on Twitter made it up Timmy

Good catch. it's actually Republican Senator Rick Scott whose grandkids will stay home

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article244442472.html

Gov. Ron DeSantis said his children, who are too young to attend school, would be going in person if they were old enough.

Sen. Rick Scott said his grandchildren will not attend school in person.

And Sen. Marco Rubio did not say if his children would attend classes in person when asked by the Miami Herald, but said he wants to see Miami’s community spread decrease in the coming weeks before students return.

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

That was a lot of words to say you are only looking at recent cases and only regarding the State color, not the area color. If you restrict your data that way, then you are right. I think that looking at the cases more locally is important, not to mention the openness of businesses. I though certainly understand how your students might get lost in your meandering directions, I find being succinct works well with high school kids 

And I find being clear works with detailed elaboration when necessary.

You love desperately moving goalposts. It's probably because you're desperate to be right.

There are more deaths and cases overall in liberal areas because more densely populated areas--aka cities--are traditionally blue.

When you live in a rural area where you're a mile away from your nearest neighbor, that's surely a place where the TOTAL number of cases and deaths will be less.

But as another poster stated, the virus doesn't discriminate and is hitting those densely populated red areas just like the blue ones.

Find your more densely populated cities that vote Republican (I know, there aren't nearly as many) and you'll find Covid problems.

Again, your very premise that red areas have leaders or citizens doing a "great job" on their own separate from the circumstances of their geography is simply incorrect.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

0 deaths in the US of children under the age of 18. 

0 reported cases of kids under the age of 18 giving the virus to adults. 

It's a virus from which over 99% of people recover, especially the younger/healthier you are. 

But sure, let's keep screwing the kids over and ######ing their development. I'm sure it won't have any impact long term on their futures. 

We already knew those on the left (in leadership) don't care about kids. They profit from their misery. But this underlines that point. 

RIP

https://wsvn.com/news/local/9-year-old-florida-girl-dies-from-coronavirus/

9-year-old Florida girl dies from coronavirus

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. (WSVN) — A 9-year-old Putnam County girl has died from the coronavirus, according to Florida Department of Health records.

The girl’s death was counted July 18.

The girl’s case was not travel-related, and she did not come into contact with a known case. It is also unclear if she had pre-existing conditions that made her vulnerable to the disease.

The girl is the youngest known fatality from the virus in the state.

The girl’s death follows the deaths of two 11-year-old children in Broward and Miami-Dade from the virus. Their deaths were reported earlier this month.

The FDOH reported 10,249 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 389,868.

• Haha (+1) 1

On the bright side, schools will be closed long enough to hopefully breakup the teachers unions.

It's time to start over on that project.

If the teachers don't want to teach, I say great.

No pay.

No school taxes.

No more teachers unions.

I'm good with that.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I let them know they're asking a stupid question, for one reason or another.

If you think people shouldn't be informed when they're saying something stupid despite knowing better, you must be a lazy manager.

You mean where you immediately ignored my challenge of not making a personal attack by beginning with one?

Yeah. Great job with that. 

You might know something about managing adults.

You know very little of teaching kids... or kids in general, for that matter.

Yet, your choice very oddly is to define what the profession should look like.

You clearly NEVER interact with kids. :lol:

That kid isn't the one asking for clarification.

That kid is the one who wasn't paying attention or was sleeping or daydreaming or...

That's the kid I described before. The fact that you didn't actually get that tells me you've spent little to no time with teenagers.

And I pity the student who gets a teacher like you who clearly has no business teaching kids because he clearly hasn't the foggiest idea of who they are.

You're right.

Stay away from kids. :thumbsup:

I don't care why the kid needed clarification.  So what if he was sleeping/daydreaming/jerking off.  You do not call someone stupid (and yes in their mind telling them that they just asked a stupid question could very well be interpreted as being called stupid {that's how empathy works}]  in front of their peers.  Horrible. You praise in public reprimand (or in your case call them stupid) in private.   

And someone who tells impressionable children they are stupid telling someone else they have no business teaching kids is beyond laughable. 

Also teachers should have a very open mind. Yours is closed so tight your head squeaks when you think.  That is if you think at all.  

Stay quarantined.  It's the best place for you. 

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I don't care why the kid needed clarification.  So what if he was sleeping/daydreaming/jerking off.  You do not call someone stupid (and yes in their mind telling them that they just asked a stupid question could very well be interpreted as being called stupid {that's how empathy works}]  in front of their peers.  Horrible. You praise in public reprimand (or in your case call them stupid) in private.   

And someone who tells impressionable children they are stupid telling someone else they have no business teaching kids is beyond laughable. 

Also teachers should have a very open mind. Yours is closed so tight your head squeaks when you think.  That is if you think at all.  

Stay quarantined.  It's the best place for you. 

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

...first, we are an essential NYS business with 180 Union electricians in the field and 30 in our admin offices....we have followed every mandated as well as every recommended action to ensure employee safety against Covid-19......we've spent >$21,000 to date related to defense and continue to spend...RESULT: thank God, not ONE Covid-19 case.....so why can't schools take the same approach and hopefully realaize the same result?.....the younger ones are in need of daily social interaction with their peers as a part of learning.....they have been out since MARCH.....and they need a structured learning environment......I'm sure there are many parents who have been effective in home schooling during this......the ones who have NOT been or were initially but eventually lost interest are the ones of greater concern.....parents are NOT paid educators (unless they are bonafide teachers home from closed schools).....

• Like (+1) 1