Bolton hearings in delay

I thought it would have been Chafee, or maybe Hagel, but Voinivich seems to have reservations.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...o/un_ambassador

309708[/snapback]

Wonder what makes the UN so important to Democrats that they would even care enough to halt the nomination of Bolton. As a supposed bastion of the "one-worlders" it should be pretty obvious to a casual observer that the the UN's claws were clipped a while ago...assuming they even had any to begin with. Please tell me what authority the UN even has anymore?

Instead of a powerless body like the United Nations the Left would be better off going after a body that is truly one world and has power; The WTO.

Colin Powell has apparently played a part in raising doubts about Bolton to some of the Repub senators.

I usually don't make too much of management styles, but his are a little beyond the pale. We don't need a diplomat who's going to tell everyone off, especially at a time when we need fewer enemies.

People try to make the UN out to be more than it is or should be. As originally conceived it was a place for diplomats of all countries to have informal or formal talks, and to settle a few international issues, like use of the oceans, etc. A great idea to 'keep the back channels open.' Then they took off from there to the morass it is today.

Wonder what makes the UN so important to Democrats that they would even care enough to halt the nomination of Bolton. As a supposed bastion of the "one-worlders" it should be pretty obvious to a casual observer that the the UN's claws were clipped a while ago...assuming they even had any to begin with. Please tell me what authority the UN even has anymore?

Instead of a powerless body like the United Nations the Left would be better off going after a body that is truly one world and has power; The WTO.

309795[/snapback]

Wonder what makes the UN so important that Bush bothers to have an Ambassador? Why isn't he just telling them all to fold their tent and go home?

Colin Powell has apparently played a part in raising doubts about Bolton to some of the Repub senators.

I usually don't make too much of management styles, but his are a little beyond the pale. We don't need a diplomat who's going to tell everyone off, especially at a time when we need fewer enemies.

People try to make the UN out to be more than it is or should be. As originally conceived it was a place for diplomats of all countries to have informal or formal talks, and to settle a few international issues, like use of the oceans, etc. A great idea to 'keep the back channels open.' Then they took off from there to the morass it is today.

312495[/snapback]

Is that an oxymoron?

"We don't need a diplomat who's going to tell everyone off"

Remember there is a faction out there that "does not "do" diplomacy"?

can we please drop the bolton argument?  whenever i see you guys arguing about bolton, "how am i supposed ot live without you" starts running in my mind :lol:;)

316931[/snapback]

Can you play that on the cowbell?

can we please drop the bolton argument?  whenever i see you guys arguing about bolton, "how am i supposed ot live without you" starts running in my mind :D<_<

316931[/snapback]

That is truly disgusting - I am going to request the Moderator delete the post. Yuck. Thanks for the nightmare I'm about to have. :w00t::)