Thomas Sowell - Quote of the Day

dubs

13 hours ago, SoTier said:

There are numerous hard core Red counties in southwestern NY and northwestern PA where living in a ramshackle trailer park is considered "lower middle class".  I'm sure there are many similar economically depressed rural areas all through the US, but those are areas I know first hand.   Still, rural folks keep buying the bullcrap the Republicans are selling.

Visit West Virginia some time! 

• Like (+1) 1

4. Thomas Sowell (in 2012):

Racism is not dead, but it is on life support — kept alive by politicians, race hustlers and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as “racists.”

Oh really? He should have tried telling that to the crowd in Charlottesville. I’m sure they would have all gone home and said they were sorry 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

4. Thomas Sowell (in 2012):

Racism is not dead, but it is on life support — kept alive by politicians, race hustlers and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as “racists.”

Oh really? He should have tried telling that to the crowd in Charlottesville. I’m sure they would have all gone home and said they were sorry 

As much as I love any reason to hate on Charlottesville (UVA Sux) the group you're pointing to is approximately 3,000 in a country of 330 million. That is absolutely life support. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As much as I love any reason to hate on Charlottesville (UVA Sux) the group you're pointing to is approximately 3,000 in a country of 330 million. That is absolutely life support. 

Like a virus or parasite, for every racist you see, there’s a thousand hiding you don’t see. 

Trump’s whole campaign was basically white grievances 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Visit West Virginia some time! 

I have, and I agree.  East Tennessee is another garden spot.   Rural poverty is pernicious because it's virtually invisible to most people just traveling through.  Most of the Old Order Amish in sw NY and nw PA live much more luxurious life-styles than many of the poor people who live in shacks set back from the seldom traveled -- and often unpaved -- roads in this area.

Edited by SoTier

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I have, and I agree.  East Tennessee is another garden spot.   Rural poverty is pernicious because it's virtually invisible to most people just traveling through.  Most of the Old Order Amish in sw NY and nw PA live much more luxurious life-styles than many of the poor people who live in shacks set back from the seldom traveled -- and often unpaved -- roads in this area.

Good point about the Amish! And yes, urban poverty is splashed across the tv screen, but those people in red states waiting in line to see a free health care traveling clinic don’t seem to get much attention, sad as that is. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

What brings you to that conclusion?

He needs this fake narrative to be true to justify his own prejudice.

The number of "nazis" in the United States could not fill a High school gymnasium.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

What brings you to that conclusion?

I’m white, so I guess racists don’t mind spewing their nonsense when I’m around. I know people in positions of importance that have said and done racist stuff. I play hockey and our locker room, benches etc, are places were spontaneous racist conversations get started, like it’s ok or something. 

As to Trump, well, build the wall isn’t a serious thing, it’s just racial grievance gone stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I’m white, so I guess racists don’t mind spewing their nonsense when I’m around. I know people in positions of importance that have said and done racist stuff.

I play hockey and our locker room, benches etc, are places were spontaneous racist conversations get started, like it’s ok or something. 

Tibs must mean stupid, racists comments like this

22 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So he makes a living telling blacks not to vote Democrat. Paid writer 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I’m white, so I guess racists don’t mind spewing their nonsense when I’m around. I know people in positions of importance that have said and done racist stuff. I play hockey and our locker room, benches etc, are places were spontaneous racist conversations get started, like it’s ok or something. 

As to Trump, well, build the wall isn’t a serious thing, it’s just racial grievance gone stupid. 

What racist things have been said or done specifically? Did you say anything? 

As for the wall, no. Immigration reform was a long standing policy for the Democrats platform until it became vogue to adopt whatever the opposite of Trump says.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

What racist things have been said or done specifically? Did you say anything? 

As for the wall, no. Immigration reform was a long standing policy for the Democrats platform until it became vogue to adopt whatever the opposite of Trump says.

1) Everything you can imagine! Some it’s just casual jokes, racism with a smile, and some is just down right nasty as can be. And no, it wasn’t everyone, but it was not challenged. No, I just stay quiet. 

2) immigrantion is always an issue, but the scapegoating of immigrants as rapist and murderers is just so ugly and leads to things like the massacre of Mexicans in Texas because they were “Invaders!” And the massacre at the Tree of Life Synagogue was caused by a guy thinking George Soros was funding a caravan of terrorists or something. Ugh! 

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Do you ever tell them to stop or do you join in so they like you or because you too are a racists?

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

1) Everything you can imagine! Some it’s just casual jokes, racism with a smile, and some is just down right nasty as can be. And no, it wasn’t everyone, but it was not challenged. No, I just stay quiet. 

2) immigrantion is always an issue, but the scapegoating of immigrants as rapist and murderers is just so ugly and leads to things like the massacre of Mexicans in Texas because they were “Invaders!” And the massacre at the Tree of Life Synagogue was caused by a guy thinking George Soros was funding a caravan of terrorists or something. Ugh! 

Do I need to define specifically for you? Why is it that whenever I ask for specifics from lefties here they never produce? A lot of this division is mired in generalities that are perpetuated because the specifics aren't identified or dealt with. The reason I asked wasn't to out you or anything, I just find that people's interpretation of what is racist varies widely depending on culture and exposure. I'd be interested to see how many people actually think what you interpret as racist agree with you. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the immigration piece. You're conflating legal and illegal immigrants, which is a disgrace to those who patiently went through the legal process to come here. And if politicians are to blame for actions of other individuals then I guess AOC caused the ICE facility to get firebombed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Do you ever tell them to stop or do you join in so they like you or because you too are a racists?

I just get quiet. Once I left a small party because a friends brother just showed up and started this racist screech out of no where. He just wouldn’t shut up even though my buddies wife was like, enough already. 

When i I was in the Air Force, youn g and naive, I did use to speak up, that got me no where. Once I was working in the shop and two civilian black guys were working on an engine, and Sargent ******* who I did my first investing with (he sold bonds) was literally talking down the those guys at work and one says, but we are the only ones in the whole shop working. And I look around and said, ya, everyone else is just stuffing off! He just walked off. But it goes to show, peoplejust have these perceptions and need to think

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Do I need to define specifically for you? Why is it that whenever I ask for specifics from lefties here they never produce? A lot of this division is mired in generalities that are perpetuated because the specifics aren't identified or dealt with. The reason I asked wasn't to out you or anything, I just find that people's interpretation of what is racist varies widely depending on culture and exposure. I'd be interested to see how many people actually think what you interpret as racist agree with you. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the immigration piece. You're conflating legal and illegal immigrants, which is a disgrace to those who patiently went through the legal process to come here. And if politicians are to blame for actions of other individuals then I guess AOC caused the ICE facility to get firebombed.

1) The specifics were in many ways nasty and ugly. 

2) But the scapegoating (rapists and criminals) is wrong, right? 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

1) The specifics were in many ways nasty and ugly. 

2) But the scapegoating (rapists and criminals) is wrong, right?

IDK, is scapegoating an entire race based on their lack of melatonin as racist wrong?

Less snarky, I'm definitely someone who defaults to judging the individual rather than the collective. Making policies that account for the individual is near impossible though and you have to go by some generalized statistics. I'm not researched enough on the crime rates of illegal immigrants vs the rest of the population to comment on it. Anecdotally, however, I do know of many cases where people are deported multiple times due to crimes. Crossing the border illegally is a crime. If we ignore that one though, as it blankets the entire group, my uneducated impression is (and was before 2016) that a sizeable portion of illegal border crossings are perpetrated for further illegal means (most notably drug running and human trafficking). I don't think many cross the border illegally with the intent to murder, but if they are smuggling children and risk getting caught then I don't think it's unreasonable to think they are capable of it.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Were you actually expecting an honest answer from Tibs?

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Like a virus or parasite, for every racist you see, there’s a thousand hiding you don’t see. 

Trump’s whole campaign was basically white grievances 

I will even give you that math of for the 3000 there is 1000 for each one. That brings it to 3 million or about 1%. I will even state that number is likely higher but the vast majority, probably around 97% of Americans are not racists. More importantly why are you allowed to judge us based on a small minority of our side but to judge your side by the people calling for a replay of Haiti in 1804 is inappropriate? Oh because you hold whiles and blacks to different standards where I hold everyone to the same