Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I only watched the 8 minute condensed game on NHLtv but the highlights were just comical.  The number of times I saw Pens sitting alone in front of Buffalo's net was shocking.  That shorthanded goal was like some Washington Generals stuff.  

I watched the entire game.  

What was really alarming on the shorty against was just how SLOW Dahlin is. 

Guys in this league who are pressing the point man on our PP (almost always Dahlin) have enough speed to get 1 step on Dahlin almost immediately, and then never be caught.

He is just *so slow*, and that's not going to get any better.

It doesn't help that his hockey IQ has also gone in the toilet since he became a Sabre too.

Not sure your average Sabres fan realizes just how destroyed this franchise is right now.

It's going to take *years* to dig out of this mess, assuming they hire the right people and the immediately start making the right decisions.

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Guys in this league who are pressing the point man on our PP (almost always Dahlin) have enough speed to get 1 step on Dahlin almost immediately, and then never be caught.

It doesn't help that his hockey IQ has also gone in the toilet since he became a Sabre too.

Not sure your average Sabres fan realizes just how destroyed this franchise is right now.

It's going to take *years* to dig out of this mess, assuming they hire the right people and the immediately start making the right decisions.

Dahlin was caught flat footed as whoever made a really stupid pass to him which sprung a near breakaway.  He immediately turned the wrong way but I can forgive that in the heat of the moment.  What struck me was that after he gets beat for the breakaway he does nothing to pick up the second man coming in who just buries the rebound.  This isn't the first time I've watched someone slam in a rebound while Dahlin watches them.  

On the first goal against I'm not sure what happened but he was behind the Penguins net while Miller was facing a 3 on 1.  Might be a wingers fault for not covering but seems like an ill advised pinch.  He has great vision with the puck, excellent passer and puck handler but defensively he continues to have incredible lapses.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Hopefully Dahlin learns that if he’s got a choice between turning and chasing vs. hitting the guy at the blue line, he chooses to take the body. He had every chance to stand that guy up. It probably isn’t taught so he likely got no instinct to do it. He’s been really bad at the blue line and in the neutral zone all three years he’s been on the ice.

Dahlin’s other problem was that once he lost the foot race and Tokarski made the first save, he let the second guy come in untouched to score the goal. It’s like he’s a spectator with the best seat in the house. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Dahlin was caught flat footed as whoever made a really stupid pass to him which sprung a near breakaway.  He immediately turned the wrong way but I can forgive that in the heat of the moment.  What struck me was that after he gets beat for the breakaway he does nothing to pick up the second man coming in who just buries the rebound.  This isn't the first time I've watched someone slam in a rebound while Dahlin watches them.  

On the first goal against I'm not sure what happened but he was behind the Penguins net while Miller was facing a 3 on 1.  Might be a wingers fault for not covering but seems like an ill advised pinch.  He has great vision with the puck, excellent passer and puck handler but defensively he continues to have incredible lapses.

Dahlin actually moved forward in attempting to retrieve the puck at the same time the Pen was accelerating forward, so the race was over at that point. Dahlin is not a speed skater, but he’s not slow either; he’s just average in that regard. 

His confidence appears to be shot though. 

I hope Don Granato is alright. Praying he doesn’t actually have covid. 

He is high risk and almost died from pneumonia back in 2019.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-assistant-coach-don-granato-returns-to-practice-after-serious-illness/article_faeb6137-60f9-5a5c-9b4a-91bce24e6500.html

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I hope Don Granato is alright. Praying he doesn’t actually have covid. 

He is high risk and almost died from pneumonia back in 2019.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-assistant-coach-don-granato-returns-to-practice-after-serious-illness/article_faeb6137-60f9-5a5c-9b4a-91bce24e6500.html

How appropriate. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Of course he’s open to being traded. I’d imagine every Sabres player is at this point and who can blame them? 

No interest in re-signing him anyway, unless it was a bargain deal. He’s not the same player he used to be. Let someone else overpay him.

Hopefully we can at least get something semi decent in return (though that seems doubtful).

I’d be more worried about trading him if I actually cared about winning the #1 overall pick this year. Every team Hall plays for seems to win #1 picks. He a good luck charm for the draft lottery 😂

Edited by BillsFan4

Well this is super underwhelming...

https://theathletic.com/2478125/2021/03/25/sabres-gm-begins-repairing-damage-done-to-front-office-scouting-departments/
(athletic sub. req.)

When Terry and Kim Pegula annihilated their hockey department in June, the Sabres owners confidently moved forward with a new mantra.

“I mentioned three words,” Terry Pegula said. “Effective, efficient, economic.”

The three E’s get an F.

The Pegulas’ desire to “get leaner” has contributed to an NHL laughingstock. The failure has also led to an overstretched general manager and an underwhelming scouting staff.

That’s changing. GM Kevyn Adams has restructured the scouting department and is bringing in an assistant general manager.

Jeremiah Crowe, who was director of scouting, moves to director of pro scouting. Jerry Forton, who was head of collegiate scouting, is now director of amateur scouting.

Crowe took over the scouting department in June after working as a pro scout for three seasons. The promotion came shortly after the Pegulas made Adams terminate two dozen people, including 14 members of the scouting staff.

It would have been a tough situation for anyone, but especially for an inexperienced leader. [B]Crowe, who turned 34 in February, began working with Adams in 2014 as a development coach at the Academy of Hockey. He spent two years with the U.S. National Team Development Program, including 11 months as director of player personnel, before joining the Sabres in 2017.

He was low on the organizational depth chart last season.[/B] The Sabres had a director of amateur scouting, an assistant director of amateur scouting, a head of collegiate scouting, 15 amateur scouts and three pro scouts, including Crowe.

Our pro scouting was damn near worst in the NHL (IMO) so what do the Sabres do? Promote one of their (inexperienced) pro scouts to run the entire pro scouting dept. 🤢🤮

Forton will run the draft table in July. He joined the Sabres as an assistant coach in 2013. He moved to the scouting department the following year, focusing on college players. Forton will oversee the junior and European ranks now, too.

Meh 🤷‍♂️

The scouting staff was also functioning at laughable levels with just 10 people. Merging the amateur and pro scouts into just “scouts” despite their differing characteristics was asking for disappointment.

“All along, the goal has been to kind of take it all in and understand where we go from here and where do we need certain areas to be added to our hockey department,” Adams said. “We’re going to do that.”

So.... instead of evaluating the hockey ops first and deciding who’s actually good at their jobs and where they can trim the fat, they fire everyone then have their rookie GM, who has never been part of an NHL front office before at any level, try to learn as he goes what he needs to run the hockey ops?

Sounds like what every winning organization does, am-I-rite? 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

A 2001 3rd and 5th?  Great.  So we need a time machine and we get a couple of 40 year olds?  

Whoops edited now.

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Staal is a better player than he played here yet based on his performance I think it was a solid move for us. As get something for a guy who was under performing and not lily returning to us next year. Win win.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Obviously whoever wrote that article didn’t watch a lot of Staal this season.  I think the 3rd and 5th is pretty much the best they were going to get.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.