Protest in Buffalo

6 minutes ago, Capco said:

There's a very simple test for it that I've made JUST for big brains like you:

1.  Do you live in the USA?

2.  Are you white?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, you have undoubtedly benefited from institutionalized racism in your lifetime.  

How have I benefited?

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Are you open to the possibility that we all benefited from structural racism without knowing it was happening? 

Exactly.  I'm not calling Joe a racist. 

I'm white.  I live in America.  I know I've passively benefited from the color of my skin.  Being a passive participant of institutionalized racism doesn't make someone an overt racist.  

My point to Joe is that the idea of reparations for Black Americans shouldn't be considered "theft", it should be considered leveling the playing field.  One look at the generational wealth of Black Americans vs White Americans is very telling.  

Just now, Capco said:

I'm white.  I live in America.  I know I've passively benefited from the color of my skin.  Being a passive participant of institutionalized racism doesn't make someone an overt racist.  

My point to Joe is that the idea of reparations for Black Americans shouldn't be considered "theft", it should be considered leveling the playing field.  One look at the generational wealth of Black Americans vs White Americans is very telling.  

Keep pushing that bankrupt and dangerous critical theory as if it's a positive. 

Ignore the reality, ignore the present enemies, ignore the reality of the world today in favor of fighting ghosts of the past. It's a great way to become irrelevant to the cause you're actually trying to remedy. 

1 minute ago, Capco said:

There are more POOR white people in the United States than there are black people of all social strata combined.

You're willing to impoverish them even more for the sake of handouts to black people? Great. You do you. I'm not willing to do that.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Ignore the reality, ignore the present enemies, ignore the reality of the world today in favor of fighting ghosts of the past. It's a great way to become irrelevant to the cause you're actually trying to remedy. 

Straight from 1984

ab67f015ff370bb1fd5caf1cff40238f--george

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

There are more POOR white people in the United States than there are black people of all social strata combined.

You're willing to impoverish them even more for the sake of handouts to black people? Great. You do you. I'm not willing to do that.

Of course not.  Any type of reparations would have to predominantly come from the wealthiest Americans.  You know, the standard, progressive taxation that we're used to.  

You bring up a great point though.  Class struggles are also a huge problem in this country.  Poor whites and poor blacks can come together to fight for change for all colors when they recognize that a poor, unemployed black man with just $100 is the same as a poor, unemployed white woman with just $100.  

And that's what we are seeing in many of these protests and riots.  

1 minute ago, Capco said:

Of course not.  Any type of reparations would have to predominantly come from the wealthiest Americans.  You know, the standard, progressive taxation that we're used to.  

You bring up a great point though.  Class struggles are also a huge problem in this country.  Poor whites and poor blacks can come together to fight for change for all colors when they recognize that a poor, unemployed black man with just $100 is the same as a poor, unemployed white woman with just $100.  

The ideology you're pushing prevents that kind of unity. Hence why it's evil and disingenuous. Its goal is to keep us divided and fighting the wrong enemy rather than uniting. 

If you cared about the principles you claim, you'd disavow Critical Theory in all its forms and Marxism. 

But you won't do that because you've already let this poison rot your brain. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Capco said:

There's a very simple test for it that I've made JUST for big brains like you:

1.  Do you live in the USA?

2.  Are you white?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, you have undoubtedly benefited from institutionalized racism in your lifetime.  

This is probably correct for most white people but it's pry not as pronounced as you believe it is.  We continue as a society to try and bridge that gap.  There's no excuses for looting and rioting though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Capco said:

Great point. This game played against us was never about race, but socio-economics for the purpose of control. What group of people in world history wasn't raped, murdered, and traded as a fungible asset at one time or another?

• Like (+1) 1

Another point on this race debate. I as a so called right winger believe in everyones right to self defense. That means guns of course, but there is much more to it than that. My question is why do these liberal states and municipalities work so hard to keep guns out of the hands of law abiding minority groups? I have a serious problem with that. How many of these leftists playing the race card actually want to see black people armed and proud? 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No, I'm not.

Because it presupposes something about me that just isn't factual.

It presupposes that I am somehow more privileged than any average black person in the United States.

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

How so?

Structural racism doesn't have anything to do you you an as individual, it's about policy structures. 

As it pertains to wealth in present day America, the most egregious form of structural racism occurred after WWII and lasted for about 50 years. 

Access to low interest, federally insured home mortgages allowed tens of millions of working class white families to own homes, accrue equity in those homes and pass that on to the next generation. This program literally generated 10's of billions dollars of wealth for mostly white families. Maybe your grandparents or parents didn't benefit from home ownership and build modest wealth. 

But most white families were able to, and there was nothing they did that was wrong! But access to the same low interest federal mortgage programs were denied to working black families. The polices were racist, and persisted into the 90's. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Capco said:

I have LONG insisted around here that we don't have a race issue, we have a corruption and inequity problem, as well as a taxation fairness problem.

I'm a proponent of a flat tax, no exemptions, on all forms of income. Not just earned income.

Right now, if you're middle class of any color (especially LOWER middle class), you tend to have a higher tax burden than both the poor AND the wealthy. And unlike the poor, because you earn too much you don't see many of the benefits that the poor do. That to me seems to be unbalanced and unfair.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Structural racism doesn't have anything to do you you an as individual, it's about policy structures. 

As it pertains to wealth in present day America, the most egregious form of structural racism occurred after WWII and lasted for about 50 years. 

Access to low interest, federally insured home mortgages allowed tens of millions of working class white families to own homes, accrue equity in those homes and pass that on to the next generation. This program literally generated 10's of billions dollars of wealth for mostly white families. Maybe your grandparents or parents didn't benefit from home ownership and build modest wealth. 

But most white families were able to, and there was nothing they did that was wrong! But access to the same low interest federal mortgage programs were denied to working black families. The polices were racist, and persisted into the 90's. 

And the arc of history and legislation in this country has been towards justice, not the opposite. Compare where we were in 1960 to 2020. That's just 60 years. 

But Critical Theory doesn't give that credit. It's goal is not to continue seeking justice, but to burn it all down "just because". That's why it's wrong. That's why it's poison. It offers no solutions, it ignores reality in favor of sensationalism. It seeks to control weaker minds through emotional manipulation. 

Just now, Jauronimo said:

For the record, you believe your life would be exactly the same today if you were a black man?

If the measure of such things is receiving generational wealth, then probably since I've received none.

4 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

What group of people in world history wasn't raped, murdered, and traded as a fungible asset at one time or another?

My only question would be this:  how many times can you think of where whites were raped, murdered, and/or traded as a fungible asset specifically because they were white?  Off the top of my head, I can think of white POWs under Japanese occupation during WWII.  Although the Japanese held racist sentiments for everyone who wasn't Japanese, including other East Asians who share their phenotype.  

Slavery has a long history across many cultures.  Whites and non-whites have engaged in it.  The Romans and Spartans (two white, Western examples) enslaved whomever they conquered regardless of skin color, at least to my knowledge.  The Ancient Egyptians (white, non-Western) also did the same for thousands of years prior.  

But the institutionalized "otherness" based on skin color is something that's fairly unique to whites.  Here you have institutions like religion (The White Man's Burden), science (eugenics), and law (see Motorin's post above) using skin color to systemically differentiate people beginning in the Early Modern period.  It created a different breed of slavery from the historic colorblind slavery that humanity was "used" to.  

Just now, Capco said:

My only question would be this:  how many times can you think of where whites were raped, murdered, and/or traded as a fungible asset specifically because they were white? 

Slavery has existed since the beginning of time. It still exists today. Sexual slavery exists today, and white women are highly prized and valued because of their skin. 

Just now, Capco said:

But the institutionalized "otherness" based on skin color is something that's fairly unique to whites.  Here you have institutions like religion (The White Man's Burden), science (eugenics), and law (see Motorin's post above) using skin color to systemically differentiate people beginning in the Early Modern period.  It created a different breed of slavery from the historic colorblind slavery that humanity was "used" to.  

Your understanding of how Chattel slavery came to be is very poor. 

• Like (+1) 1