U of B is out, looks like Iowa State

30dive

My wifes search for a new gig in higher education appears to have us heading for Ames Iowa. We have eliminated the University of Buffalo (so sad) and now only three stand, however, she will fly back to Ames early next week to discuss job, pay, etc. , it looks like the family might become Cyclones. Anyhow I have been doing some research on the area and it seems to look like a great place to raise a family, etc. but if there are any of you out there that can offer info on where to look to live, or better not to look, or any general information on the area that would be great.

Anyhow I have been doing some research on the area and it seems to look like a great place to raise a family, etc...

307865[/snapback]

Definitely, if I'm considering relocation, Iowa has to be right up there ... next to Idaho, North Dakota and Wyoming of course.

So what crimes are you running from? :doh:

My wifes search for a new gig in higher education appears to have us heading for Ames Iowa.  We have eliminated the University of Buffalo (so sad) and now only three stand, however, she will fly back to Ames early next week to discuss job, pay, etc. , it looks like the family might become Cyclones.  Anyhow I have been doing some research on the area and it seems to look like a great place to raise a family, etc. but if there are any of you out there that can offer info on where to look to live, or better not to look, or any general information on the area that would be great.

307865[/snapback]

Just make sure the house is clean and you have dinner on the table by the time she gets home. Best of luck Mr Mom, and god bless you! :doh:

Just make sure the house is clean and you have dinner on the table by the time she gets home. Best of luck Mr Mom, and god bless you! :doh:

307876[/snapback]

Very perceptive!!!!

I spend several months in Ames and Des Moines, Iowa 2 years ago and you won't appreciate how decent Buffalo is until you've spent time in Iowa. All the "Best Places To Live" guides I'm sure you've read have raved about Iowa being a great place for families and whatnot. But I can tell you from personal experience that Iowa is a miserable, socially and culturally repressed, conservative state that your kids will be dying to get out of ASAP. Iowa is also lacking big time in the outdoor activity department. No large bodies of water or lakes near Ames and very few parks and wooded areas for recreation. Several of my friends originally from Iowa got their educations at Iowa State and took off to Minneapolis, Chicago, and Kansas City despite Iowa having a decent job market and low cost of living. That being said if you and your family must move to Ames, you will have no problems finding a decent place to live. Lots of charming, older houses in the vicinity of the university and plenty of new suburban type subdivisions too.