A neighbor dilemma

dib

I have a neighbor thats, well, he's an *.

3 or 4 in the morning and he's reving his car ( which he has set up to sound like a 747) and having a grand old time with his buddies, with emphasis on the f-word every other word. He's clearly audible in my house and my kids dont need to hear this. My house stinks from exhaust fumes when he works on his car because he revs the sh*t out of it. His buddies bring their cars over and it looks like a used car lot. This is not an unusual circumstance. I've already spoken to him, and since I cant kneel on his chest and pound his head into a pulp, I'm looking for options. Yes, the police have been contacted but I'd like to get up close and personal. The kid is about 19, no dad at home and he makes his mom park in the drive so he can have the 2 car garage to himself.

Help me Obi Wan before I am taken away in hand cuffs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out his sleeping schedule, then purchase some really good nautical tyope airhorns. Let the kids play with em as soon as he had hit the peak of his sleeping cycle. Do this for a few days and see if he has the nougats to confront you.

God I hate problems like this. There's no talking to this kid. He has overrun his Mom. He's big enough to run the house and too much of a baby to leave and live on his own. Because he's so young prepare yourself for this kid being an idiot.

You need to make it the cop's problem and not your problem.

If I were in the situation I would find a way to talk to the Mom ALONE. She must have the mortgage on the place. Explain your situation and the course of action you are going to have to take with the cops involved. That's not going to change anything, but at least you told her. Then I would arrange a sit down with the cops at the police station. After you talk to them in person they will send a cop around to check that house on his regular route WITHOUT you having to call 911.

At this point once you set up a continuing relationship between the cops and the kid you'll need to rely on the kid's lack of brains to get him self in hot water with the cops themselves. Once the cops are pissed at him directly it will be your chance to step out of the mix and see who wins.

I know you're a Cane fan and I'm a Nole fan but ... you still deserve your peace and quiet as much as anyone so we can both hate the Gators together.

Good luck ~

3 or 4 in the morning and he's reving his car ( which he has set up to sound like a 747) and having a grand old time with his buddies, with emphasis on the f-word every other word. He's clearly audible in my house and my kids dont need to hear this. My house stinks from exhaust fumes when he works on his car because he revs the sh*t out of it. His buddies bring their cars over and it looks like a used car lot.  This is not an unusual circumstance.  I've already spoken to him, and since I cant kneel on his chest and pound his head into a pulp, I'm looking for options. Yes, the police have been contacted but I'd like to get up close and personal. The kid is about 19, no dad at home and he makes his mom park in the drive so he can have the 2 car garage to himself.

307773[/snapback]

Unless you live a neighborhood with covenants that restrict the ignorant behavior of peckerheads, there's usually not much you can do.

We've had similar problems. One of our big issues is dogs barking. We're about the only residents without a dog. We love animals, but don't want the responsibilty of dogs. Neither do the neighbors, but they get the pets anyway.

Usually the trouble starts after the novelty of a puppy has worn off, or when babies replace the dogs as the new center of attention. At this point, the dogs are banished to a life of lonliness in their backyards.

These people never walk the dogs or give them any attention. One of the more brilliant solutions is to get another dog to keep them company in the backyard, doubling our fun. The owners have learned to tune out the howling that comes at all hours of the night. With some of the neighbors, their logic is that the dog is giving them protection from burglars.

First off, there's virtually no crime around us. Secondly, these are the very same people who often keep a full cache of firearms at the ready.... so why are they so a-scared of burglaries. Lastly, the damn mutts bark at everything from squirrels, deer, cats, walkers, etc. Do these owners recognize a special bark for prowlers!!!?

Hell no. If there were a burglar causing the dogs to bark, the owners will either ignore the barking or yell for them to shutup.

After 13 years, we're finally giving up. We love our home but can no longer fight the nitwits who live around us. Constant complaining to the sherriff and animal control is more of a hassle than it's worth. For this reason, we're moving to a more upscale neighborhood where we shouldn't have these problems, and if we do, we won't be alone in fighting the perpetrator.

If you can't get satisfaction from law enforcement, or if you find it becomes more trouble than it's worth, you might want to think about moving to a different neighborhood, or get some land where it's not an issue. (although the price of multiple acreage is getting out of sight in your neck of the woods)

3 or 4 in the morning and he's reving his car ( which he has set up to sound like a 747) and having a grand old time with his buddies, with emphasis on the f-word every other word. He's clearly audible in my house and my kids dont need to hear this. My house stinks from exhaust fumes when he works on his car because he revs the sh*t out of it. His buddies bring their cars over and it looks like a used car lot.  This is not an unusual circumstance.  I've already spoken to him, and since I cant kneel on his chest and pound his head into a pulp, I'm looking for options. Yes, the police have been contacted but I'd like to get up close and personal. The kid is about 19, no dad at home and he makes his mom park in the drive so he can have the 2 car garage to himself.

307773[/snapback]

Gas tank...sugar...'nough said...

Do these owners recognize a special bark for prowlers!!!?

Actually, yes. If you're attentive to your dog(s), (which people ostracizing them to the backyard probably aren't), you will learn that they have distinctive barks for different occasions.

I'd say my dog (Great Dane) has about 6 distinctive barks which I can recognize. (Who's trained whom, huh?)

Much like people use the F-word to have several meanings based on inflection.

If it's happening at 3am, just call the cops and let them deal with him. There has to be some sort of noise ordnance that he is breaking that early in the morning. Keep calling the police and make it their problem. After a while they will get sick of you bitching and come down hard on that bastard.

I'm all for kids learning how to tune and work on cars. Better for them to do that, than finding other illegal ways to occupy their time. A car is supposed to be loud with a lot of horse power. Changing out my exhaust to a 2 1/2 inch pipe gave me a lot more horse power and better gas mileage. Sure it's loud of hell and it pisses off the older folks, but thats a part of being young.

307773[/snapback]

SHOOT HIM ....... It's legal to do it!

I once lived next door to an a-hole with a wood chipper he used all the time. One Saturday night he left it too close to our fence. I put steel wool shavings in the gas tank about 2 AM and never heard it roar again.

The guy also had a German Shepard that would bark at me when I was in my own back yard. I fixed that dog problem.... kind of. When the owner wasn't looking I would feed the dog Milk Bone Treats through the fence and I didn't even have a dog at the time. It sure made the dog stop barking at me. But when the dog would see me it would come over to the fence and sit in that doggie "I'm being good" posture. When the owner was there I had to pretend I didn't see the dog doing that. I miss that dog.