John Butler . . . what he knew

I was thinking about the 2001 draft and what John Butler might have known about Vick before the draft.

Did Butler know Vick had an STD before the draft and decide to trade the pick in the 11th hour for basically nothing. . . Tim Dwight . . .

People (the media) were saying he could be the next Michael Jordan before the draft, but that he was very raw. And some wondered if SD would be stupid enough to trade him.

Dan Reeves didn't even meet Michael Vick in person and just looked at film. At least that's what I heard him say on TV. But Reeves had the same medical report.

I'm thinking Butler knew and figured it wasn't worth it to bring Vick in. And that he didn't want to hurt the Chargers public image.

Or did Vick just catch the STD after NFL money.

Or, he figured that michael vick was just a speedy kick returner who happened to play QB. This guy is going to end up being a blip. Statistically, he sucks bad as a QB, he's an idiot, and he's one cut away from a torn ACL. I'm definitely not sold on MV as a QB, so i'm glad he's not with the bills. Maybe butler saw the medical report, or maybe he just saw his character and that was enough, but i'm glad that one of john butler's last football decisions was passing on vick.

Or, he figured that michael vick was just a speedy kick returner who happened to play QB.  This guy is going to end up being a blip.  Statistically, he sucks bad as a QB, he's an idiot, and he's one cut away from a torn ACL.  I'm definitely not sold on MV as a QB, so i'm glad he's not with the bills.  Maybe butler saw the medical report, or maybe he just saw his character and that was enough, but i'm glad that one of john butler's last football decisions was passing on vick.

307441[/snapback]

I think you're right. I think Butler met Vick and just didn't like him. I think Butler thought this was a character issue.

I remember that Vick and the Chargers were starting contract talks and then all of a sudden boom. They trade the pick. It was weird.

And I agree MV's way overrated.

The Chargers received a third rounder, second rounder the following year, and Dwight simply to move down 4 spots in the draft.

307439[/snapback]

At the time it was a give away. That's the way I took it Alaska Darin.

I mean didn't the Chargers get another 1st rounder to move down spots with Eli Manning?

Guys like Vick rely too much on athleticism and trying to do it all themselves.  That's why they are a human highlight reel, but have no jewelry to show for it. 

PTR

307455[/snapback]

he doesn't walk around covered in bling? :doh:

I was thinking about the 2001 draft and what John Butler might have known about Vick before the draft.

Did Butler know Vick had an STD before the draft and decide to trade the pick in the 11th hour for basically nothing. . .  Tim Dwight . . .

People (the media) were saying he could be the next Michael Jordan before the draft, but that he was very raw. And some wondered if SD would be stupid enough to trade him.

Dan Reeves didn't even meet Michael Vick in person and just looked at film. At least that's what I heard him say on TV. But Reeves had the same medical report.

I'm thinking Butler knew and figured it wasn't worth it to bring Vick in. And that he didn't want to hurt the Chargers public image.

Or did Vick just catch the STD after NFL money.

307438[/snapback]

Between the lines here are you implying Butler gave the STD to Vick ?

JB may not have been a brilliant contract negotiator, but he sure did know talent when he saw it

Vick wasn't the guy he coveted.  He was just able to manuever a trade and still get the guy (Thomlinson) that he wanted

307445[/snapback]

really?

we have so many stars left on the team from his drafts

Really? I thought the reason he traded Vick's pick away was because he knew that your hero was on his way to San Diego.

Just when you thought your theories couldn't get wilder.

Knock Vick all you want, he just wins. Vick singlehandely led his team to the conference title game. When he plays, the Falcons usually win, when he doesn't, they usually lose. Rob Johnson sure had nice stats....Those poor Falcons are really suffering winning all those games with Vick the loser. Since when do stats mean someone is a good player?

Knock Vick all you want, he just wins.  Vick singlehandely led his team to the conference title game.  When he plays, the Falcons usually win, when he doesn't, they usually use.  Rob Johnson sure had nice stats....Those poor Falcons are really suffering winning all those games with Vick the loser. Since when do stats mean someone is a good player?

307608[/snapback]

:doh:

:doh:

307614[/snapback]

What's so funny? You'd don't agree?? Care to explain to me how Vick takes his team into Lambeau and wins, then the next year wins about 3 games without him, then makes it to the NFC championship game with the same team? Yeah he is in a weak conference, but you can't say he isn't one of the most valuable players to his team.

Really?  I thought the reason he traded Vick's pick away was because he knew that your hero was on his way to San Diego.

Just when you thought your theories couldn't get wilder.

307591[/snapback]

I heard it had something to do with black helikopters.

What's so funny? You'd don't agree?? Care to explain to me how Vick takes his team into Lambeau and wins, then the next year wins about 3 games without him, then makes it to the NFC championship game with the same team? Yeah he is in a weak conference, but you can't say he isn't one of the most valuable players to his team.

307633[/snapback]

It was the same team? Sure it was.

The additions of Alex Gibbs, Jim Mora, and Rod Coleman and the Falcons' amazingly pathetic schedule were at least as important to the team's success as the return of Ron Mexico.

Atlanta's schedule last season:

Tampa, Carolina, and New Orleans twice. SF, Arizona, StL, Det, NYG, Oakland, Seattle, KC, SD & Denver. That didn't have anything to do with their success. :doh: Nah, it was the most overrated player in the history of the NFL returning to put up positively Bledsonian passing numbers.

Michael Vick is a tremendous athlete and a terrible QB whose reputation is pretty much a media creation.