Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's difficult to get a mask. I've been to a number of drug stores and grocery stores with pharmacies and couldn't get one. In each case I was told they were out of stock and because the demand is so high it is unlikely they will get them in. I also went on-line on CVS and Amazon. CVS is out of stock and Amazon indicated it would take two months for the order to come in. 

I'll have to improvise and come up with my own cover because come Monday my county in Maryland is requiring masks in grocery and drug stores.  

if you need to mke a homeone one, here is a good example

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

It's difficult to get a mask. I've been to a number of drug stores and grocery stores with pharmacies and couldn't get one. In each case I was told they were out of stock and because the demand is so high it is unlikely they will get them in. I also went on-line on CVS and Amazon. CVS is out of stock and Amazon indicated it would take two months for the order to come in. 

I'll have to improvise and come up with my own cover because come Monday my county in Maryland is requiring masks in grocery and drug stores.  

Hey john, check up thread. I posted a few videos on homemade masks within the last page or two.

From what I’ve read one of the best materials to use are those “Hydro knit” (polyester) blue shop towels (like Scott’s Pro shop towels (has to be pro)). You use 2 layers and it’s supposed to filter 93% (much higher than just a cloth mask). Some ladies bought s particle filter tester and tested a bunch of materials.

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

Or I’ve seen masks made with HEPA vacuum cleaner bags (which are supposed to filter really well but are a bit more difficult to breath in and are said to be overkill for the average person). You can private message me if you want and I can send you some links to the videos. There’s a lot of different how-to videos out there. Some are very simple and others are much more complex (and are supposed to offer more protection). It depends on what you’re looking to make. There are some you make with a couple folds and 2 rubber bands. Others are more detailed.

Also, you can find fabric charcoal filter masks online but I’m not sure how much better they are than the homemade versions (I’m not saying they aren’t, just that I don’t know). Like here -

https://www.ebay.com/b/activated-carbon-mask/bn_7024730747

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

if you need to mke a homeone one, here is a good example

I have often been called a shiiit head by the rambunctious hockey posters here. So as a tribute to them I will make a mask out of soiled underwear. :ph34r:

...CERTAINLY understand the pandemic concern, but is this a bit too far or not?..............

Michigan stay-at-home order now bans visits to friends, relatives, governor says

By Brie Stimson, Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Traveling to another home within Michigan, even to visit friends or relatives, or to go to a vacation home, is now banned under Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus stay-at-home order, which has been extended until May 1.

“Michigan has the third-highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country, and we’re still on the upswing," Whitmer said in a statement." We must continue to do everything we can to slow the spread and protect our families."

Some exceptions to the order -- which takes effect Saturday -- are caring for a relative or their pet, a child, an elderly or disabled person, visiting someone in a health care facility, or attending a funeral with fewer than 10 people.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-stay-at-home-order-now-bans-visits-to-friends-relatives-governor-says

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...CERTAINLY understand the pandemic concern, but is this a bit too far or not?..............

Michigan stay-at-home order now bans visits to friends, relatives, governor says

By Brie Stimson, Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Traveling to another home within Michigan, even to visit friends or relatives, or to go to a vacation home, is now banned under Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus stay-at-home order, which has been extended until May 1.

“Michigan has the third-highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country, and we’re still on the upswing," Whitmer said in a statement." We must continue to do everything we can to slow the spread and protect our families."

Some exceptions to the order -- which takes effect Saturday -- are caring for a relative or their pet, a child, an elderly or disabled person, visiting someone in a health care facility, or attending a funeral with fewer than 10 people.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-stay-at-home-order-now-bans-visits-to-friends-relatives-governor-says

....or this.........

Rand Paul tells Kentucky gov to ‘take a step back’ for threatening mandatory quarantine for church-goers

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told Kentucky’s Gov. Andy Beshear to “take a step back” on Friday after the governor warned residents that they would be forced to self-quarantine for 14 days if they attended an in-person Easter church service -- due to the risk of the spread of the coronavirus.

“Taking license plates at church? Quarantining someone for being Christian on Easter Sunday? Someone needs to take a step back here,” he tweeted.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/paul-kentucky-mandatory-quarantine-easter-church

In my opinion - No, not at all. I think it’s smart.

Allowing big crowded church services is crazy IMO. I get that it’s Easter Sunday.

But It’s like asking for a big outbreak to happen. These crowded church services are likely to become hotspots for COVID19 outbreaks. 

I feel the same about gatherings at homes. Unless you know for 100% sure that everyone at the gathering has been at home in quarantine, without any potential exposure to the virus, it’s a risk. You can be contagious with covid for days before you start showing symptoms or even know you’re sick. Just look at that story from the family in New Jersey. They had a family brunch and a week later all 7 people at the brunch were sick with COVID19. Last I read, 2 had died, one was in ICU in critical condition.

If you’re not allowing the country to work in office buildings with other workers, why would you allow them to crowd into homes or churches? Shared indoor air is the danger (along with being in close quarters with someone who’s sick, and all the surfaces in that shared space that a sick person could contaminate as well). That’s true at home and in churches just as much as it is at work. This virus is very contagious.

watch this video Hapless posted on how easily an airborne virus spreads:

Edited by BillsFan4

@Hapless Bills Fan, was it you who mentioned one country where half or more of the COVID-19 cases were people who had gathered for religious services? Does anyone else remember that? I’ve got a guy on my college hoops board who is raging against the government for taking away people’s Constitutional right to gather on Easter. Sometimes people just need to be protected from themselves. It’s one thing if you want to thin yourself from the herd, but if your stupidity affects everyone, we have a new ball game. 

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

@Hapless Bills Fan, was it you who mentioned one country where half or more of the COVID-19 cases were people who had gathered for religious services? Does anyone else remember that? I’ve got a guy on my college hoops board who is raging against the government for taking away people’s Constitutional right to gather on Easter. Sometimes people just need to be protected from themselves. It’s one thing if you want to thin yourself from the herd, but if your stupidity affects everyone, we have a new ball game. 

Yes, I believe it was South Korea. At one point, 3/5ths of the country’s cases were traced back to that one church.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/24/808914718/secretive-church-sect-at-the-center-of-south-koreas-coronavirus-outbreak

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-a-south-korean-church-was-the-perfect-petri-dish-for-coronavirus-11583082110

Here’s another story from California. One church was the epicenter for a big outbreak. Over 70 members of the church were infected with COVID19.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-02/pentecostal-church-in-sacramento-linked-to-dozens-of-coronavirus-cases

Another article on coronavirus being spread by church services around the world:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-is-spreading-at-religious-gatherings-ricocheting-across-nations-11584548174

another from Chicago:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/04/09/a-funeral-to-a-birthday-party-to-church-heres-how-coronavirus-spread-in-chicago/

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Funny, i remember the funeral I attended the Tuesday before "Rona Wednesday" ...and feeling really apprehensive about everyone holding hands during the Our Father... one person who attended the funeral has it, but she contacted from a neighbor almost 100% sure, and prolly  two weeks after the funeral.

BTW, do we as a society  have an official name for the Wednesday night when in the span of 30 minutes we had the NBA cancel, Trump speaking and stock futures nose diving, and Tom Hanks broadcasting he was positive? It was 30 minutes i will remember to the day i die, and really the start of all us taking this poop seriously..at least me.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Funny, i remember the funeral I attended the Tuesday before "Rona Wednesday" ...and feeling really apprehensive about everyone holding hands during the Our Father... one person who attended the funeral has it, but she contacted from a neighbor almost 100% sure, and prolly  two weeks after the funeral.

BTW, do we as a society  have an official name for the Wednesday night when in the span of 30 minutes we had the NBA cancel, Trump speaking and stock futures nose diving, and Tom Hanks broadcasting he was positive? It was 30 minutes i will remember to the day i die, and really the start of all us taking this poop seriously..at least me.

....and made Rudy Gobert a household name as the inadvertent clown/hero. 

I will NEVER forget that Friday at the grocery store. I’ve never seen anything like it, and hope I never do again. The panic was palpable. I couldn’t even park in the right lot, you couldn’t get a cart or move thru the aisles and all the shelves were already empty, you just grabbed whatever you could get your hands on, even if it wasn’t what you actually wanted. It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. CRAZY!  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

From what I’ve read one of the best materials to use are those “Hydro knit” (polyester) blue shop towels (like Scott’s Pro shop towels (has to be pro)). You use 2 layers and it’s supposed to filter 93% (much higher than just a cloth mask). Some ladies bought s particle filter tester and tested a bunch of materials.

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

What Scott’s Pro shop towels made of:

Made from our patented HYDROKNIT* material which is comprised of soft, absorbent cellulose fibres and strong polypropylene none-woven fabric. The cellulose component allows these wiping cloths to absorb water quickly and effectively, while the tear-resistant polypropylene fabric soaks up more than its own weight in oil and grease. The result is durable and absorbent wipers, which can be used wet or dry.  

May be easier than shop towels

Medline Washcloth, HydroKnit, 10x12.5 in, 50'S, Disposable

https://www.bettymills.com/washcloth-hydroknit-10x125-in-50's-disposable-medline-non260506z?utm_source=cpc-strat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=parts&utm_keyword=MEDNON260506Z&utm_content=Medical&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJjg7frg6AIVQj0MCh0DhAO6EAYYByABEgJqY_D_BwE

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.gofundme.com/f/masks4america

There’s no time to waste. We have found and partnered with an FDA-certified manufacturer selling N95 equivalent masks at only $2/mask — a fraction  of what hospitals and governments have been paying for N95 masks.

Every dollar donated goes directly to mailing masks to health care facilities who request them through https://getusppe.org/request, and every person involved (even the broker) is volunteering their time. For only $2, you can provide a safe mask to a frontline health care worker!

Donations are tax-deductible.

FAQs

1) I am a member of a state or local government or a medical professional or administrator at a health, rescue or safety facility that can afford to order our own.

Can we do that? 

Yes! If you can afford to order your own, please do. Use this form to contact us and we will send you all the info on how to order. Keep in mind, the masks can only be shipped to medical facilities or government entities (otherwise they will be stopped at Customs). This is to prevent hoarding and reselling. Form: bit.ly/KN95OrderingInfo 

2) I am a medical professional or administrator at a health, rescue or safety facility.

How do I sign up to receive donations?

Fill out the donation request form with our coalition partner Get Us PPE here: https://getusppe.org/request

3 hours ago, Augie said:

....and made Rudy Gobert a household name as the inadvertent clown/hero. 

I will NEVER forget that Friday at the grocery store. I’ve never seen anything like it, and hope I never do again. The panic was palpable. I couldn’t even park in the right lot, you couldn’t get a cart or move thru the aisles and all the shelves were already empty, you just grabbed whatever you could get your hands on, even if it wasn’t what you actually wanted. It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. CRAZY!  

Wow. Is that seriously what it was like by you?  That's crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Wow. Is that seriously what it was like by you?  That's crazy.

The only way to get a cart was to follow someone to their car. You had to go from aisle to aisle at the back of the store because the front of the store was too packed with people trying to check out you couldn’t even slide thru without a cart. The aisles were full of people at the ends near the cashiers. It was worse than trying to pee at halftime at a Bills home game, but shopping cart/bumper car style. 

I went back several days later and saw one of the cashiers (I used to go almost daily!) I knew was there. I said “Wow, this is nothing like last Friday”. She completely stopped, her eyes got HUGE and she said “OMG! YOU SAW THAT???” Poor girl looked like she had PTSD! 

It’s nothing like that now, the stores are quiet, but that day felt like the panic of a Cat 5 hurricane approaching and 9/11 rolled into one moment. Everybody freaking out at once. I’ve never seen anything like that. 

Just now, Bad Things said:

You should just ask the idiot if he has any idea of the concept of:

• "The Common Good"
  • Science.

For fun, you could also ask him what news channel his watches.

He’s a lawyer, what can I say? 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

The only way to get a cart was to follow someone to their car. You had to go from aisle to aisle at the back of the store because the front of the store was too packed with people trying to check out you couldn’t even slide thru without a cart. The aisles were full of people at the ends near the cashiers. It was worse than trying to pee at halftime at a Bills home game, but shopping cart/bumper car style. 

I went back several days later and saw one of the cashiers (I used to go almost daily!) I knew was there. I said “Wow, this is nothing like last Friday”. She completely stopped, her eyes got HUGE and she said “OMG! YOU SAW THAT???” Poor girl looked like she had PTSD! 

It’s nothing like that now, the stores are quiet, but that day felt like the panic of a Cat 5 hurricane approaching and 9/11 rolled into one moment. Everybody freaking out at once. I’ve never seen anything like that. 

Wow.  That's friggin scary.

We had nothing like that down here.

Our PM gave the country 48 hrs to prepare for the country-wide lockdown.  That evening, my wife went shopping for our usual amount.  The next day, I had to pop into the office to grab some stuff (working from home for 3 weeks now) and saw that the grocery store carpark was 1/2 full.  I decided to pop in and "really" stock up.

I couldn't believe just how chilled out and orderly everyone was.  There was a bit of tension in the air, but everyone was also uber friendly with each other, but kept their distance.

That said, we've heard stories from overseas about panic buying and all that.

Man, it'll be great when we are all back to normal again.  (Whatever normal will be.)