2020 NFL Combine

YoloinOhio

Akers, Edwards-Helaire, and McFarland were the three that stood out to me in the on field drills (outside of the 1st round guys).

Speaking of first round guys, Taylor did a good job catching the ball after that was a pretty major concern; he seemed stiff/slow running the routes though.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is the draft to load up on offensive skill players.  McBeane shouldn’t overthink it.  Trade down from 22 if you can - load up on 2-4 rounders and add some touchdown makers.  It’s time.

I was about to post same thing.  This draft is so deep, especially at WR.  If we could drop 5-10 spots, and pick up two top 100 picks, we could add 2 WR  for free, and still have pick 32, and 8 more picks.  That gives Beane plenty of ammo to trade up for players rated high on Bills board.  Unless Lamb, Jeudy, Chaisson, or top 4 OL fall to 22, IMO the best move is to trade back

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I wouldn’t go that far, but I do think that folks look at Singletary and think “he’s small, so we need a big guy”. Whereas I look at him and think “he can grind out tough yards and be a consistent workhorse, so we need a guy with some juice that is a threat to go the distance in every play”.

I’m of the opinion that we need a second guy with versatility so the substitution doesn’t reveal playcalling tendencies. Speed, power, etc are secondary to that for me. 

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Few things on this:

- Lamb and Watkins are different prospects.  One has nothing to do with the other

- Not all of us were on board with giving up that much for Sammy Watkins or with him being better than other WRs in that draft.  I think that he got overhyped here simply because of  what was given up.  There were also real risks with him that were overlooked by the NFL draft hype machine and most fans.

- The Bills are in a much different position in 2020 than they were in 2014.  Six years ago they knew they had a lot of needs, including a franchise QB.  They sat in a spot in the draft where they knew they could get a difference maker. The trade up then was unnecessary and reckless. Today the team is much more complete, but it lacks difference makers on offense.  Other than Allen there’s no one that defenses really need to make big adjustments for.  Lots of good players, but no one who scares a defense.  The Bills can get another really good player at 22, but they’re outside the window for elite prospects (unlike 2014).  They can stay put and get another really good player or they can try to trade up for a guy that scares a defense and makes them scheme to stop him. 
- In 2021 where would you expect the Bills to be drafting?  If the bulk of what I’m giving up for Lamb is 22 and another late 1st, then sign me up.  That’s stealing. 

Excellent post! The time has come for the Bills to be aggressive about adding elite talent and attempt to win a championship.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Updated

Henry 6'3 247
Bench 22
Vertical 37 
Broad 130
3 cone 7.20

AJ Dillon 6'0 247
Bench 23 reps
Vertical 41 inch
Broad 131
3 cone 7.19

They are the exact same human lol. Except Dillon slightly better in all categories and hes better at catching the ball

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, DJB said:

Updated

Henry 6'3 247
Bench 22
Vertical 37 
Broad 130
3 cone 7.20

AJ Dillon 6'0 247
Bench 23 reps
Vertical 41 inch
Broad 131
3 cone 7.19

They are the exact same human lol. Except Dillon slightly better in all categories and hes better at catching the ball

Not quite. Dillon is the same weight on 3 Less inches. That’s a thick dude.... but ya. Same freakish numbers regardless.  

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Regarding the 1st 2, obviously Lamb and Watkins are different players, but they're both Wide Receivers.  They very much have to do with each other in that respect.

Watkins was without a doubt the #1 WR prospect at the time of that draft--and again, this is without the benefit of hindsight.

Watkins was viewed as a surefire top 10 draft pick.  As much as we complain about the pick now, you were in an EXTREME minority if you were adamantly complaining on going up and getting him.  The insanely vast majority believed Watkins was one of those rare generational WRs you go up and get.

Lamb is not viewed in the same light.  I'm not saying he won't be, but that's certainly not the overwhelming consensus on him the way it was with Sammy.

Are we trading up a few spots to get Lamb and giving up lower round picks?  I'm fine with that.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Beane would even consider giving up a 1st next year to go up and get Lamb or Jeudy.

Where are we drafting next year?  The better question to ask would be what's going to happen with our current players and our CAP situation?  We have a ton of CAP space this offseason and next offseason, but we also have a ton of players we're probably hoping will be worthy of resigning for big money: White, Dawkins, Milano, Poyer, Edmunds, Allen...

Without a 1st round pick in any given year, you're sacrificing a player who is supposed to be an impact starter on your team.  And so far Beane seems to draft well.  Rather than dismissing a pick in the bottom of the first round, think about where we drafted Tredavious White.

So giving up that pick anywhere in the 1st round for any position other than QB--which we (hopefully) already have--seems like a bad gamble.

Watkins was a lot of people’s #1 WR that draft, yes.  Personally I had him very closely rated with Evans and OBJ, but with a higher risk due to concerns about injury and route running.  Still, he was top 10-15 even with me.  But he was not a generational talent as a prospect.  That is a big overstatement.  Those prospects are incredibly rare in the draft - and they’re either the first player or the first non-QB taken off that’s a widely held opinion.

I’ll leave the rest as a disagreement.  I’m of the opinion that we need difference makers, especially on offense, and that we should look to acquire at least one this season even if it means trading up.  Yes, that includes next year’s first.  

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unless it was a smokescreen, The word was that the Bills loved metcalf last year. Remember everyone here was worried they were going to take Take him at 9? Teams Can’t draft everyone they want. 

We had him in the second, to me he was a better prospect than Ford.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Updated

Henry 6'3 247
Bench 22
Vertical 37 
Broad 130
3 cone 7.20

AJ Dillon 6'0 247
Bench 23 reps
Vertical 41 inch
Broad 131
3 cone 7.19

I’m still trying to figure out why people keep saying this? Seriously confused because it’s not like he’s ever caught more than 15 passes in a year. I honestly don’t care that his hands aren’t a known commodity.... I just want to know where the Dillon has decent hands narrative comes from without enough tape to back it up, because to me it’s kind of similar to saying John Brown’s a good QB because of his QB rating. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, DJB said:

It's even more impressive for Dillon honestly 

kinda hard to say. Those three inches could have a lot to do with contact balance and overall agility. Henry is a unique dude. No reason Dillon can’t be similar, but Derek Henry’s are few and far between. 

8 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I think it's odd that Jonathan Taylor is not universally considered the best back in the draft.  He's unreal.

I am with you. He is the best runner by a distance and while he isn't an elusive backfield receiver - no Kamara or McCaffrey - he can catch the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1