Filibuster Lions vs. Christians

For those watching the West Wing this season, this type of grotesque behavior is EXACTLY what the Republican nominee railed against in one episode. Of course, that was fiction. Reality is below.

As the Senate heads toward a showdown over the rules governing judicial confirmations, Senator Bill Frist, the majority leader, has agreed to join a handful of prominent Christian conservatives in a telecast portraying Democrats as "against people of faith" for blocking President Bush's nominees.

"Fliers for the telecast, organized by the Family Research Council and scheduled to originate at a Kentucky megachurch the evening of April 24, call the day "Justice Sunday" and depict a young man holding a Bible in one hand and a gavel in the other. The flier does not name participants, but under the heading "the filibuster against people of faith," it reads: "The filibuster was once abused to protect racial bias, and it is now being used against people of faith.

Frist- no shame

Think what I may about the Democrats, and their grotesque behavior in blocking nominees, this is NOT a filibuster "against people of faith." What scum. Meet the people who now control America: your Republican Party.

For those watching the West Wing this season, this type of grotesque behavior is EXACTLY what the Republican nominee railed against in one episode. Of course, that was fiction. Reality is below.

Frist- no shame

Think what I may about the Democrats, and their grotesque behavior in blocking nominees, this is NOT a filibuster "against people of faith." What scum. Meet the people who now control America: your Republican Party.

306005[/snapback]

Duh! I never would have thought that by virtue of winning a majority in the House and Senate and re-electing a President who has engaged us in an unpopular war that perhaps that might amount to a mandate from heaven. But not to worry I will protect you when the thought police come to your door!

Duh! I never would have thought that by virtue of winning a majority in the House and Senate and re-electing a President who has engaged us in an unpopular war that perhaps that might amount to a mandate from heaven. But not to worry I will protect you when the thought police come to your door!

306021[/snapback]

Per usual, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you (a) saying that Bush's win was mandated from Heaven?

I don't get your thought police statement at all. Are you mocking the Republican thought police? Or the Democratic thought police? I get them mixed up: the uniforms are so similar.

TWW this season has had its ups and downs. That episode was a big up.

What's happening in real life w/ Delay, Santorum, etc., grasping at straws is a shame.

"In God We Trust" --There's a bigger, better conversation about the role of religion in gov't in one of the best scenes of the year. Kind of hard to follow if you didn't watch it tho.

Republican nominee Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda):

"I don't see how we can have a separation of church and state in this government if you have to pass a religious test to get in this government. And I want to warn everyone in the press and all the voters out there if you demand expressions of religious faith from politicians, you are just begging to be lied to. They won't all lie to you but a lot of them will. And it will be the easiest lie they ever had to tell to get your votes. So, every day until the end of this campaign, I'll answer any question anyone has on government, But if you have a question on religion, please go to church."

Per usual, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you (a) saying that Bush's win was mandated from Heaven?

I don't get your thought police statement at all. Are you mocking the Republican thought police? Or the Democratic thought police? I get them mixed up: the uniforms are so similar.

306031[/snapback]

Confusing you would be so much more fun but for its ease. Answer to (a): some of the extreme christian right would. Further, GWB is a man of faith. He seems to believe that he is a vehicle of the Lord. You seem to fear anything that smacks of religion and I must admit GWB gives reason for you to be concerned. The idea that I would protect you from the Christian thought police is a lie. I would revel as they tore you limb from limb a la Christian martyrs.

Confusing you would be so much more fun but for its ease. Answer to (a): some of the extreme christian right would. Further, GWB is a man of faith. He seems to believe that he is a vehicle of the Lord. You seem to fear anything that smacks of religion and I must admit GWB gives reason for you to be concerned. The idea that I would protect you from the Christian thought police is a lie. I would revel as they tore you limb from limb a la Christian martyrs.

306042[/snapback]

Speak English for once!!!! None of us are fluent in potato head...

Speak English for once!!!!  None of us are fluent in potato head...

306056[/snapback]

I don't bother to read his/her posts anymore. It gives me a headache, trying to translate it into something anyone can understand.

I don't bother to read his/her posts anymore. It gives me a headache, trying to translate it into something anyone can understand.

306062[/snapback]

Since you and the crapster never post anything other than ad hominem attacks your readership will not be missed.

306062[/snapback]

To paraphrase the Dread Pirate Roberts.."His intellect is truly dizzying."

306042[/snapback]

I don't fear religion. I fear those who use it to push their moral and social agendas on others. And I fear those who would prefer to lockstep with their religion rather than reach their own conclusions. Which puts me opposition to you on another topic: I like the Jesuits precisely because they teach people how to think critically and not be lemmings.

Being able to confuse someone is not an asset. It's not surprising that you're proud of your ability to be obtuse though. It is your gift.

I don't fear religion. I fear those who use it to push their moral and social agendas on others. And I fear those who would prefer to lockstep with their religion rather than reach their own conclusions. Which puts me opposition to you on another topic: I like the Jesuits precisely because they teach people how to think critically and not be lemmings.

Being able to confuse someone is not an asset. It's not surprising that you're proud of your ability to be obtuse though. It is your gift.

306081[/snapback]

Thank you for your kind reply. I think you have Ignatius Loyola confused with someone else.