ESPN: Corporate Lackey?

I was watching 'Pardon the Interruption' yesterday and I see on the topic list to the right 'Vick', meaning they are going to talk about Michael Vick in some way. I assumed it would be the 'Ron Mexico' story, but instead they went on about how the NFL has scheduled the Atlanta Falcons 3 TIMES on Monday Night Football this upcoming season, something they rarely do with a team. TK and Wilbon concluded that the NFL is going to start pushing 'Superstars' like Vick in the marketing which they haven't really done in the past. Kornheiser then made the comment under his breath 'you mean Ron Mexico?' and Wilbon looked up and said 'I have no idea what you're talking about'. Unless Wilbon just fell off the turnip truck he certainly knows the Ron Mexico story.

Then it occured to me that the boys on ESPN Radio have rarely talked about the Ron Mexico/Vick story either, if at all. It's not mentioned anywhere on their website that I can see. I'm thinking that the NFL, in their desire to promote Vick, have let it be known to ESPN that they might not get Monday Night Football if ABC declines it as has been reported, or maybe even threatened their football package altogether, if they push the Ron Mexico/Mike Vick story. This doesn't look favorably upon ESPN, as they should have at least the pretense of journalistic freedom to report on sports that their viewers care about.

ESPN:Corporate Lackey? What say you all?

Uhh, because they are supposed to report on all things sports?

305837[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the NFL media machine has already been primed to show Mike Vick as the posterboy for the league. The NFL is looking for a dynamic eye-catching player that sells jerseys, hats and all the other stuff to non-NFL fans. Having a freak of a player can bring in new fans which is in the best interest of the league.

ESPN is caught in the vice between reporting information detrimental to the designated poster boy, and being a cheerleader for a good portion of their programming material for 6 months of the year.

I'm thinking that the NFL, in their desire to promote Vick, have let it be known to ESPN that they might not get Monday Night Football if ABC declines it as has been reported, or maybe even threatened their football package altogether, if they push the Ron Mexico/Mike Vick story.

305834[/snapback]

I think you're going a little too deep into it. Disney is the master of self-promotion and cross-promotion across their brands. It may be that Disney, who owns ESPN, doesn't want the luster taken off of Vick because ABC (another Disney brand) stands to benefit from his appearance on 3 MNF games.

Just my opinion...

In my mind, they WOULD get the whole Ron Mexico thing going, then let it simmer, then heat it up again as the season starts. The beautiful thing about Americans and their TV; they'll watch anything they don't usually watch...even a football game...if it has some human interest angle to it.

"Hey, the Mexican with herpes is on TV tonight. Who's watching?"

Uhh, because they are supposed to report on all things sports?

305837[/snapback]

This topic though, truly has nothing to do with sports. It has to do with the personal life of an athlete. I think its unfortunate that this line has become so blurred. Is it ESPNs job to talk about the games, the scores and the teams or the sorid details of the personal lives of the participants. I'm glad they have refrained... That kind of talk is better suited to the View, Oprah, or .... TBD :D

This topic though, truly has nothing to do with sports. It has to do with the personal life of an athlete. I think its unfortunate that this line has become so blurred. Is it ESPNs job to talk about the games, the scores and the teams or the sorid details of the personal lives of the participants. I'm glad they have refrained... That kind of talk is better suited to the View, Oprah, or .... TBD  :D

306049[/snapback]

Off-field distractions can affect on-field performance. ESPN had no problem reporting how that TLC chick burned down Andre Rison's house. Should they not have mentioned anything regarding the OJ Simpson trial because he doesn't play anymore? The 'E' in ESPN used to stand for entertainment (before they said it doesn't anymore). They can pretty much report/talk about anything pertaining to sports, and often do, especially on a show like 'Pardon the Interruption'.

Off-field distractions can affect on-field performance. ESPN had no problem reporting how that TLC chick burned down Andre Rison's house. Should they not have mentioned anything regarding the OJ Simpson trial because he doesn't play anymore? The 'E' in ESPN used to stand for entertainment (before they said it doesn't anymore). They can pretty much report/talk about anything pertaining to sports, and often do, especially on a show like 'Pardon the Interruption'.

306071[/snapback]

Touche'

Today's Daily Quickie on ESPN.com Page 2 had this at the end (DQ'd):

"Ron Mexico" NFL jerseys: No, you can't buy one online ... anymore. (And if you don't know what I'm talking about, nevermind.)

I guess there was probably a memo going around this Bristol office.

I was watching 'Pardon the Interruption' yesterday and I see on the topic list to the right 'Vick', meaning they are going to talk about Michael Vick in some way. I assumed it would be the 'Ron Mexico' story, but instead they went on about how the NFL has scheduled the Atlanta Falcons 3 TIMES on Monday Night Football this upcoming season, something they rarely do with a team. TK and Wilbon concluded that the NFL is going to start pushing 'Superstars' like Vick in the marketing which they haven't really done in the past. Kornheiser then made the comment under his breath 'you mean Ron Mexico?' and Wilbon looked up and said 'I have no idea what you're talking about'. Unless Wilbon just fell off the turnip truck he certainly knows the Ron Mexico story.

305834[/snapback]

ESPN had to be one of the last media outlets to get off the Barry Bonds bandwagon. ESPN just loves to overhype players rivalries and whatnot. Vick needs to be hyped! No Ron Mexico talk!

Interestingly enough, Tony K, on his non-ESPN show radio show, joked about the name "Ron Mexico" at the end of his show.