WNY Housing

RochesterRob

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

That and homes in not so desirable areas (note that I did not say BAD areas) sit for months even with appreciable mark downs.  As said before I would move to a hamlet an hour or more outside of Rochester or Buffalo to get a great value.  Some pretty good homes available for under 100K because younger people want to be at their destination in 5-10 minutes.  For me the ride is sometimes as good as the final destination.  

What about when YOU want to sell some day?  You'd have to find a buyer with the same priorities, which can be harder when the trend is moving back toward the urban center or short commute first ring villages.

I live in just the kind of rural place you describe (Eden, NY), which is 45 minutes south of the Buffalo CBD, where I work.   I don't mind the commute either.  But given the way homes sell in my neighborhood (slooooooow), I'm resigned to having problems when it comes time for us to move on.   

When we moved here in 1998, the flow was the opposite.    Trends change, and the greying of America is reducing demand for the one acre suburban McMansions where you have a second job as as a landscaper on the weekends.   Younger people don't whant that 'lifestyle' either.  They want cities and villages where they can walk to 4-5-6 restuarants, theaters, parks, etc....

40 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

That and homes in not so desirable areas (note that I did not say BAD areas) sit for months even with appreciable mark downs.  As said before I would move to a hamlet an hour or more outside of Rochester or Buffalo to get a great value.  Some pretty good homes available for under 100K because younger people want to be at their destination in 5-10 minutes.  For me the ride is sometimes as good as the final destination.  

My son is looking for a house that is less than 1/2 hour commute, is in a more than ok school district (just ok is not ok), doesn’t need much work, has a little bit of privacy, has two bathrooms, has parking for two cars side by side, and preferably has a two car garage.  Good luck. That’s what everybody wants. 

The problem with a house that needs work is that there’s no good way to pay for it.  How do you buy a house and then have $30K to $50K left over for renovations?

22 hours ago, Augie said:

Not about your market, but people often lose sight of the obvious when they track what the house is worth. When you sell, you have to subtract about 6% for the commission, plus thousands in closing costs, then the moving costs. “Oh, my house is up $20k per Zillow!”  First, don’t trust Zillow, and second, it’s not that simple. Don’t buy unless you are pretty confident you will be there for a few years at least, or you will lose money just on the transaction costs.

We lost significant money in Nashville, one of the hottest markets in the country because we made improvements (which most people do when they buy) and we sold after only two years, much earlier than expected. 

Buyer beware, and as certain as possible

Good advice, me and my wife likely bought our forever home as we should be paid off by the time we retire. We looked for things that be important when we're older (see ranch so no stairs and laundry room on main floor).

Edited by The Jokeman

26 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Good advice, me and my wife likely bought our forever home as we should be retired by the time we retire and we looked for things that be important when we're older (see ranch so no stairs and laundry room on main floor).

That is the only thing that would get my wife to consider moving today. She broke her ankle about a year ago (trying to impress a 5 year old at a trampoline park!) and realized what a hassle the stairs could become. That plus other little things like a step up over the entrance to the shower, etc. Lots of things that can be a problem as you age. 

It’s such a big thing in our market below the for sale sign they will hang an extra sign that says “Master on Main”. They sell like hot cakes. The land is so expensive close to the city that the rest of the living area has very little space on the first floor if you spend square footage on a master suite and laundry. Our next door neighbors have their master on the main level, and their kitchen/living area is quite small as a result. The good part is, they could sell it in no time because so many people want that. 

Our houses in Florida were perfect with everything we needed all on one level and a gradual slope into the shower. My dream project would be to plan and build our own house. I would LOVE that! 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

What about when YOU want to sell some day?  You'd have to find a buyer with the same priorities, which can be harder when the trend is moving back toward the urban center or short commute first ring villages.

I live in just the kind of rural place you describe (Eden, NY), which is 45 minutes south of the Buffalo CBD, where I work.   I don't mind the commute either.  But given the way homes sell in my neighborhood (slooooooow), I'm resigned to having problems when it comes time for us to move on.   

When we moved here in 1998, the flow was the opposite.    Trends change, and the greying of America is reducing demand for the one acre suburban McMansions where you have a second job as as a landscaper on the weekends.   Younger people don't whant that 'lifestyle' either.  They want cities and villages where they can walk to 4-5-6 restuarants, theaters, parks, etc....

I'm in a different life situation than I would guess that 90 percent of the board is in.  There will be a market but most likely not the one dominated by young professionals in terms of short driving distance to desired locations.  With the amount of trolling here and the associated activities they engage in I will not say where but I know enough about Eden to say that it is more remote than that.  

49 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Good advice, me and my wife likely bought our forever home as we should be retired by the time we retire and we looked for things that be important when we're older (see ranch so no stairs and laundry room on main floor).

I live in a 3 bed, 2 bath ranch, but it’s built on a hill.  The garage and laundry are in the basement.  My wife reminds me at least once a week that we can’t live here as we get older (we’re in our 60s now).  Depending on when her parents pass (they live 1 mile away), we will likely move to get closer to our grandchild (grandchildren? ?) someday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

We keep looking for a new house with those features. We have been quasi-looking for so long, I doubt we will ever find it (single story home, on an escarpment with a view of Toronto, next door to a winery, would be ideal! ? ).  We won't build, we'd end up divorced, so I would not be surprised if we are in our "forever home."  We figure we will install an elevator (there are several spots we could do it without having to resort to the chair the guy used in Up!) which sounds like a crazy investment, but compared to moving, would be downright economical. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

We keep looking for a new house with those features. We have been quasi-looking for so long, I doubt we will ever find it (single story home, on an escarpment with a view of Toronto, next door to a winery, would be ideal! ? ).  We won't build, we'd end up divorced, so I would not be surprised if we are in our "forever home."  We figure we will install an elevator (there are several spots we could do it without having to resort to the chair the guy used in Up!) which sounds like a crazy investment, but compared to moving, would be downright economical. 

The house you want is in Lewiston, next to the Niagara Falls Country club. There are several adjacent to NFCC.  Better win the lottery to afford the house and the taxes.

• Like (+1) 1

Wife and I bought a house in August.  Really wanted a house with a good yard for the kids.  Every house that came up in our area in Orleans County sold the same week or even day it was listed.  They went fast and were overpriced for what they were.  We ended up in four bedroom, 2000sqft updated farmhouse with 1.5 acres, a new two story two car garage, pool etc.  We were one of four families who looked at it same day it listed.   I will never move because buying a house is hell on Earth.

the housing in wny is interesting now.  as some have mentioned, there's so little inventory that there seems to be a bidding war once something pops up on the market, especially starter homes.  if you aren't willing to place an offer for a house the first, maybe second day on the market, you aren't getting the house.  be ready to be non-contingent, over bid, wave the inspection, etc.  it's strange for around here.  in my area, we've found that older couples aren't moving out.  some of the school enrollment has even taken a hit because of it.  

the only reason a house sits on the market here is if it's over prices, or if it's above that 550/600,000 range.  the bigger/more expensive houses can be had for a great deal now.  just have to put up with the taxes.  suck it @Gugny.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

The house you want is in Lewiston, next to the Niagara Falls Country club. There are several adjacent to NFCC.  Better win the lottery to afford the house and the taxes.

We have looked. Nice street. ? 

7 minutes ago, teef said:

the housing in wny is interesting now.  as some have mentioned, there's so little inventory that there seems to be a bidding war once something pops up on the market, especially starter homes.  if you aren't willing to place an offer for a house the first, maybe second day on the market, you aren't getting the house.  be ready to be non-contingent, over bid, wave the inspection, etc.  it's strange for around here.  in my area, we've found that older couples aren't moving out.  some of the school enrollment has even taken a hit because of it.  

the only reason a house sits on the market here is if it's over prices, or if it's above that 550/600,000 range.  the bigger/more expensive houses can be had for a great deal now.  just have to put up with the taxes.  suck it @Gugny.

re .. por ... TANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/2/2020 at 8:39 AM, RochesterRob said:

Yes, some neighborhoods in the south side of Rochester are seeing quick selling homes due to this. Victor is just about built over so there is a surge in the town of Farmington.  I suspect that Canandaigua will be next if demand stays up for another decade.  Probably would have happened a long time ago if the original plan for 390 going all the way down to Canandaigua Lake had happened.

what's going on in victor and farmington now is shocking.  we live in the perinton/victor area, and when we were looking in victor, we were once outbid on a house by 30k.  it's gross.

i actually bought land in farmington a few years ago and built an office there.  for 2 acres of commercial land it was less than 40k.  for comparison, a lot behind us that's 2 acres (residential) sold for 150K.  the were just about giving land away in farmington and people jumped it.  in the area where i build, there was nothing there 3 years ago.  just trees and weeds.  now on my short street, they've build 6 or 7 large apartment complexes, (another one coming), a new bank, and they just cleared land for another track that will contain homes and town homes.  it's massive...all along the 332.  victor and farmington share a school district, and it's my understanding that now more than 50% of the students come from farmington.   

3 minutes ago, teef said:

what's going on in victor and farmington now is shocking.  we live in the perinton/victor area, and when we were looking in victor, we were once outbid on a house by 30k.  it's gross.

i actually bought land in farmington a few years ago and built an office there.  for 2 acres of commercial land it was less than 40k.  for comparison, a lot behind us that's 2 acres (residential) sold for 150K.  the were just about giving land away in farmington and people jumped it.  in the area where i build, there was nothing there 3 years ago.  just trees and weeds.  now on my short street, they've build 6 or 7 large apartment complexes, (another one coming), a new bank, and they just cleared land for another track that will contain homes and town homes.  it's massive...all along the 332.  victor and farmington share a school district, and it's my understanding that now more than 50% of the students come from farmington.   

For quite a long time Victor had a very strong reputation in terms of its school district.  Before online retailing became common place Eastview Mall was a destination for many shoppers that did not want to go to a Grants or Nichols City.  If you go to the Cobblestone Creek developments there were home properties there that sold for 750,000 dollars which was shocking for the day nearly 15 years ago.  I can't fathom what it is like to have property taxes 15,000, 20,000 or more dollars per year.  I kind of miss the small town charm that Victor had decades ago.  It was also the home of a very hot woman I lived in the same dorm with for junior college.  I wish I had acted quite a bit more mature around her.  Anyways, I probably have a fairly good idea where you are in terms of your business is based on what you said.  I have a fairly good idea of what was built around Farmington and when.  

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

For quite a long time Victor had a very strong reputation in terms of its school district.  Before online retailing became common place Eastview Mall was a destination for many shoppers that did not want to go to a Grants or Nichols City.  If you go to the Cobblestone Creek developments there were home properties there that sold for 750,000 dollars which was shocking for the day nearly 15 years ago.  I can't fathom what it is like to have property taxes 15,000, 20,000 or more dollars per year.  I kind of miss the small town charm that Victor had decades ago.  It was also the home of a very hot woman I lived in the same dorm with for junior college.  I wish I had acted quite a bit more mature around her.  Anyways, I probably have a fairly good idea where you are in terms of your business is based on what you said.  I have a fairly good idea of what was built around Farmington and when.  

we looked and bid in cobblestone, and i'm so happy we didn't get a house there.  it just wasn't my thing.  i hear it can be uppity, and they've managed to squeeze these large houses on small lots.  there's no elbow room.  we found a two acre lot on the top of turk hill and love it as we have some space but are still in the middle of everything.  around here it's always the taxes.  to get the same bang for your buck, you do have to move at least 30 minutes away as i think you mentioned. 

7 minutes ago, teef said:

we looked and bid in cobblestone, and i'm so happy we didn't get a house there.  it just wasn't my thing.  i hear it can be uppity, and they've managed to squeeze these large houses on small lots.  there's no elbow room.  we found a two acre lot on the top of turk hill and love it as we have some space but are still in the middle of everything.  around here it's always the taxes.  to get the same bang for your buck, you do have to move at least 30 minutes away as i think you mentioned. 

I don't live there or close to there but I know from people who lived in the area long before Cobblestone Creek came along that it is beyond uppity.  Even if I did not know much about it driving down Gillis Rd I just don't feel any attraction to it as I pass.  I've been down Turk Hill and it seems very charming.  You must be near the farm there which is about the only one left around that vicinity.  

10 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't live there or close to there but I know from people who lived in the area long before Cobblestone Creek came along that it is beyond uppity.  Even if I did not know much about it driving down Gillis Rd I just don't feel any attraction to it as I pass.  I've been down Turk Hill and it seems very charming.  You must be near the farm there which is about the only one left around that vicinity.  

the stinky farm!  we're actually a bit up the road by casa larga.  it's an interesting area.  it's extremely busy due to the mall and shopping in the area, but has a number of street around it with land.  you get some space and can get to anything in about 3-4 minutes.  the only time it rubs me the wrong way is during christmas.  the traffic is insane because of the mall.  

On 2/2/2020 at 11:44 AM, Augie said:

Lots of things that can be a problem as you age. y. 

It’s such a big thing in our market below the for sale sign they will hang an extra sign that says “Master on Main”. They sell like hot cakes. The land is so expensive close to the city that the rest of the living area has very little space on the first floor if you spend square footage on a master suite and laundry. Our next door neighbors have their master on the main level, and their kitchen/living area is quite small as a result. The good part is, they could sell it in no time because so many people want that. 

Our houses in Florida were perfect with everything we needed all on one level and a gradual slope into the shower. My dream project would be to plan and build our own house. I would LOVE that! 

You should know as to the bolded.

The main master is funny...we are looking to move into the center of Richmond, and we here from agents all the time when they ask about our current house.."do oyu have a main master". Weird, i want nothing to do with a main master, would just seem weird to me.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

We figure we will install an elevator

Have a friend doing that now, but for the life of me have no idea why. He is 58, lives in the hose he wants to die in...but so much can happen between now and when that elevator would be needed seems like a waste of cash..but OTOH, he just sold sold his company and no longer worries about trivial matters like resale values LOL 

14 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Had a friend who lived there , awesome neighborhood..now he bought like 12 years ago and know it was less then 400K..but the taxed..om my! The house was just sold due to divorce, wonder what they sold for

5 hours ago, teef said:

the stinky farm!  we're actually a bit up the road by casa larga.  it's an interesting area.  it's extremely busy due to the mall and shopping in the area, but has a number of street around it with land.  you get some space and can get to anything in about 3-4 minutes.  the only time it rubs me the wrong way is during christmas.  the traffic is insane because of the mall.  

Anyways, between your home and your business it sounds like you are in a good situation.  There are ample alternate routes around Eastview and the Village of Victor if you so choose.  

• Like (+1) 1