Passports needed for Fort Erie?

George Bush is truly a piece of work. Only he can sign into legislation a stupendously ineffectual and glaringly illogical call for passports of AMERICANS AND CANADIANS for routine border crossings starting in '08, but then to turn around a short while later and complain about what a bad idea it would be while not even bothering to acknowledge it was his doing to begin with is priceless....just priceless.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../bush_passports

What damage Bush's insane idea would have on this WNY region, and by extension the Bills, would be hard to measure.

I'm just glad that he was such a great listener of himself that he was able to talk himself out of it.........for now.

Nevermind that all the 9/11 hi-jackers had passports, if there's something stupid Bush can throw out there to make it look like he's doing something he'll attempt it

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and he'll get away with it because most people don't live near the borders and think it's a GREAT idea.

The last time my husband and I came back for a Bills game we stayed in Canada - it took us 3 hours to get across the border...and the Canadians were much more stringent than the Americans.

Shoot, they check cars boarding the ferries here much more stringently, and those are the plain old commuter ferries around the Sound, NOT to BC.

Of course there are terrorists already living in the Sea-Tac area and have been here for years. Good thing that Customs Agent chased that guy down in 1999 trying to sneak in and blow up the Space Needle ... he's finally talking. She deserves a medal for smelling a rat and not giving up.

Yeah and he'll get away with it because most people don't live near the borders and think it's a GREAT idea.

The last time my husband and I came back for a Bills game we stayed in Canada - it took us 3 hours to get across the border...and the Canadians were much more stringent than the Americans.

Shoot, they check cars boarding the ferries here much more stringently, and those are the plain old commuter ferries around the Sound, NOT to BC. 

Of course there are terrorists already living in the Sea-Tac area and have been here for years.  Good thing that Customs Agent chased that guy down in 1999 trying to sneak in and blow up the Space Needle ... he's finally talking.  She deserves a medal for smelling a rat and not giving up.

305659[/snapback]

I've crossed the border a couple times up there around Bellingham with real disperate results, but I never had to wait very long. Around WNY and Detroit, if a passport rule were enforced it would make people think twice before hopping in their cars for a fifteen minute ride stretched into hours from Front Park to Crystal Beach.

George Bush is truly a piece of work. Only he can sign into legislation a stupendously ineffectual and glaringly illogical call for passports of AMERICANS AND CANADIANS for routine border crossings starting in '08, but then to turn around a short while later and complain about what a bad idea it would be while not even bothering to acknowledge it was his doing to begin with is priceless....just priceless.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../bush_passports

What damage Bush's insane idea would have on this WNY region, and by extension the Bills, would be hard to measure.

I'm just glad that he was such a great listener of himself that he was able to talk himself out of it.........for now.

Nevermind that all the 9/11 hi-jackers had passports, if there's something stupid Bush can throw out there to make it look like he's doing something he'll attempt it

305650[/snapback]

I think it's more telling, rather than bitching about "Bush is backing off what he said earlier...", to note this quote from the article:

The president said he was surprised by the proposed rules announced last week by the State and Homeland Security departments.

Seems he's not really backing off the idea, considering the announcement took him by surprise!!!!!????? Great executive oversight, that...did his cabinet-level department simply not brief him before their press release, or was he asleep during that particular cabinet meeting? :doh:

Still...every time I read something this stupid about the current administration, I still have to thank God that that (*^*&%^$^#Kerry's not in the White House...

"Great executive oversight, that...did his cabinet-level department simply not brief him before their press release, or was he asleep during that particular cabinet meeting?"

While most would find the latter believable it wouldn't be out of the Bush nature to feign ignorance when confronted with harsh reality.

"Effort"?

Is that a code for lip service?

305670[/snapback]

You tell me. I just read the article that you linked in your post. "President Bush stepped back on Thursday from plans requiring passports from people to enter the United States, concerned the effort to tighten borders against terrorists would hamper legal travel from Canada, Mexico and other U.S. neighbors."

My post was just a sarcastic response I have when I see posts from the same people, always expressing their outrage (or should it be OUTRAGE!) over the same specific politician or party, in every post, on any subject, for any reason.

"Great executive oversight, that...did his cabinet-level department simply not brief him before their press release, or was he asleep during that particular cabinet meeting?"

While most would find the latter believable it wouldn't be out of the Bush nature to feign ignorance when confronted with harsh reality.

305678[/snapback]

But the problem with that logic is that it presumes Bush is clever enough to feign ignorance...but the same people that would presume that simultaneously call him one of the dullest people to ever occupy the Oval Orifice.

So which is it? Is he endlessly clever, or endlessly stupid? You can't have it both ways. Personally...I lean towads the latter, if only because I can't accept the idea that a man who uses words like "nukyooler" and "subliminable" is smart enough to maintain plausable deniability by letting a cabinet department front his own idea...

My post was just a sarcastic response I have when I see posts from the same people, always expressing their outrage (or should it be OUTRAGE!) over the same specific politician or party, in every post, on any subject, for any reason.

305689[/snapback]

Then you should get on the case of some of these Kerry haters also. He's not president so why bring him up all the time (especially when no lefty has.) A con-Bush comment is not neccessarily a pro-Kerry comment.

Back to the subject - I'm glad to see Bush either change his mind some or admit he wasn't involved with the plan for passports. On the other hand I also have no issue with showing a passport. Show a drivers license, show a passport it all takes the same time.

If there was ever a thread worthy of a good round of "FLIGHTSUIT FLIGHTSUIT BUSH BAD!!!! BUSH BAD!!!!!", its this one.

Little light reading below for when you stop being red-faced with "outrage".

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzasne1...0,1601458.story

Bush will seek to revise border law

BY JAMES T. MADORE

STAFF CORRESPONDENT

April 15, 2005

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush said yesterday that he would push for flexibility in the application of a new border-crossing law that requires Americans, by 2008, to present a passport to re-enter the country after being in Canada, Mexico, Panama or the Caribbean.

Bush criticized the new rule, adopted by Congress last year to combat terrorism, saying it could "disrupt the honest flow of traffic."

He said he had asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and the Homeland Security Department to examine whether new, quicker identification methods such as electronic fingerprint imaging could substitute for a passport.

"I think there's some flexibility in the law," Bush told the American Society of Newspaper Editors, meeting in a hotel near the White House.

Personally...I lean towads the latter, if only because I can't accept the idea that a man who uses words like "nukyooler" and "subliminable" is smart enough to maintain plausable deniability by letting a cabinet department front his own idea...

305699[/snapback]

Now THERE is a fair judge of intelligence...how someone pronounces a few words.

You should throw some crap at YOURSELF for that one, Simian.

Now THERE is a fair judge of intelligence...how someone pronounces a few words.

You should throw some crap at YOURSELF for that one, Simian.

306023[/snapback]

I was using a literary device called "hyperbole". Look it up.

And I've heard enough from people who would know to believe that Bush is pretty dull-witted, and even if he's not, the federal government in catering to the lowest common denominator of the American populace is pretty much designed to deprecate any intelligence that may exist in it...but that's not the point. The point is that a lot of people who consistently rail against him for being an idiot are equally consistent in railing against him for being a clever schemer. You really can't have it both ways; either the guy's dumb as a post, or he's not.

I was using a literary device called "hyperbole".  Look it up. 

And I've heard enough from people who would know to believe that Bush is pretty dull-witted, and even if he's not, the federal government in catering to the lowest common denominator of the American populace is pretty much designed to deprecate any intelligence that may exist in it...but that's not the point.  The point is that a lot of people who consistently rail against him for being an idiot are equally consistent in railing against him for being a clever schemer.  You really can't have it both ways; either the guy's dumb as a post, or he's not.

306066[/snapback]

Sure you can, you turd tossing ape. Just read this board and you can find examples of it daily. :D

hy·per·bo·le    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (h-pûrb-l)

n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

I dont think your "nuclear" thing was hyperbole. Hey, dont monkeys spend all day jerking off? My buddy had a pet monkey. Damn thing wouldnt stop whacking himself.

I was using a literary device called "hyperbole".  Look it up. 

And I've heard enough from people who would know to believe that Bush is pretty dull-witted, and even if he's not, the federal government in catering to the lowest common denominator of the American populace is pretty much designed to deprecate any intelligence that may exist in it...but that's not the point.  The point is that a lot of people who consistently rail against him for being an idiot are equally consistent in railing against him for being a clever schemer.  You really can't have it both ways; either the guy's dumb as a post, or he's not.

306066[/snapback]

Ok Monk, while it may be too convenient to dismiss Bush as merely a buffoon, it's a role he seems to have no trouble playing.

I dont think your "nuclear" thing was hyperbole. Hey, dont monkeys spend all day jerking off? My buddy had a pet monkey. Damn thing wouldnt stop whacking himself.

306103[/snapback]

Some do. I'm too busy throwing crap.

And that's an excellent demonstration of using a dictionary to obtain almost no meaningful understanding of a concept. Exaggerating the importance of malaprops in determining intelligence isn't hyperbole because it's too subtle? :D