The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

“Unquenchable thirst for knowledge”…I’m gonna have to remember that one the next time they work to silence dissent in the midst of a health crisis. 

yes, remember how quickly a safe and effective vaccine was developed and later an oral treatment.  Remember that ARD's was quickly observed to be a leading mechanism of death by the virus and that prone positioning and steroids helped saved lives.  I could go on but why waste the time.  Remember that that thirst to heal led to the deaths of many health care workers...

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

The science is settled!

who said that in regards to Covid...x of course, all knowing, all seeing Doc.

Edited by redtail hawk

Just now, redtail hawk said:

yes, remember how quickly a safe and effective vaccine was developed and later an oral treatment.  Remember that ARD's was quickly observed to be a leading mechanism of death by the virus and that prone positioning and steroids helped saved lives.  I could go on but why waste the time.  Remember that that thirst heal led to the deaths of many health care workers...

And remember how it was a pandemic of the unvaccinated.. .until suddenly and magically it wasn’t! 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

great quote...and of course, we are all taught just the opposite excepting academic centers where zebras are more prevalent.  I find it very strange that Doc won't read the linked article.  Unquenchable thirst for knowledge is a near prerequisite for med school and later for practice.  Maybe he had it and lost it.  Maybe he never had it.  Maybe he's an MD.  Maybe not.  Doesn't really matter x for the misrepresentation of credentials/training if not.  Perhaps I'm cynical and overly skeptical but MAGA's and their leaders have often been proven dishonest.

I realize I typed it wrong: think horses, not zebras is the line.

But again: Wuhan was filled with pangolins, civet cats, all kind of bizarro mammals. So it isn't exactly "why do we see all these new viral cases clustered around Wegman's meat counter."

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JDHillFan said:

The science is settled!

Anyone who has gone through the peer review process with more mundane research papers knows how long the process takes.

But a novel SARS coronavirus pandemic and it's case closed in a few weeks.

Shut up about anything else not in line with what we've decreed from on high.

And Follow The Science (TM) is born.

Beyond laughable.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I realize I typed it wrong: think horses, not zebras is the line.

But again: Wuhan was filled with pangolins, civet cats, all kind of bizarro mammals. So it isn't exactly "why do we see all these new viral cases clustered around Wegman's meat counter."

It's ok here.  probably not if you're defending a doc in court!  Have heard it and taught it a hundred times or more.  Any real doc will recognize it immediately...

excess deaths:  at least 232,000 in the US

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37093505/

Edited by redtail hawk

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

when did that happen?  link?

meanwhile I'll search for models with estimates of unnecessary deaths because of the stupid, selfish people.

Link? You have honestly got to be kidding! There isn’t a single person in America that didn’t know a close family member who contracted Covid after being vaccinated and boosted. I don’t need some stupid internet link to see what’s happening in my own freaking life! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

The people that declared anyone not wanting the vax, including not wanting it for young children at virtually no risk, to be stupid and selfish? Maybe dumbasses like that are the ones. 

kids died from covid too.  And certainly acted as vectors for the virus.  

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Link? You have honestly got to be kidding! There isn’t a single person in America that didn’t know a close family member who contracted Covid after being vaccinated and boosted. I don’t need some stupid internet link to see what’s happening in my own freaking life! 

you do to see excess deaths from the unvaxed.  not a stupid internet link.  It's SCIENCE.  rarely settled but still extremely useful and the best we got.  Here, try some, 232000 at least....

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Twice vaccinated.

Then...

Twice confirmed covid positive by both PCR and rapid antigen tests each time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

kids died from covid too.  And certainly acted as vectors for the virus.  

you do to see excess deaths from the untaxed.  not a stupid internet link.  It's SCIENCE.  rarely settled but still extremely useful and the best we got.  Here, try some

You wouldn’t know science if it bit you in the arse…..but I did get a kick out of the ‘untaxed’ autocorrect. 😉. If BillsFanNC wants to work on the board’s functionality; he should make autocorrect task #1. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

here's another very salient link with raw data comparing deaths in different age groups for vaxed vs unvaxed but no doubt, you will refuse to accept the numbers

https://data.cdc.gov/Public-Health-Surveillance/Rates-of-COVID-19-Cases-or-Deaths-by-Age-Group-and/3rge-nu2a/data

Why do you MAGA's hate science and data ?  My guess is because you don't understand it, are untrained in it and see it as "elite".  That, or you really don't care about truth or your fellow man.

Edited by redtail hawk

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

here's another very salient link with raw data comparing deaths in different age groups for vaxed vs unvaxed but no doubt, you will refuse to accept the numbers

https://data.cdc.gov/Public-Health-Surveillance/Rates-of-COVID-19-Cases-or-Deaths-by-Age-Group-and/3rge-nu2a/data

So now you want to say it’s about deaths not contraction. You’ll note I didn’t say that it wasn’t effective against death. I’m sure it probably was. FYI: I was both vaccinated and boosted. 

Here's what the leaders could have said instead of:

"If you get the vaccine you won't get covid"

The original papers on the mRNA vaccines only showed 95% efficacy for heavens sake!

So they could have been HONEST, and just said:

The vaccine, while not a guarantee against infection, can still be beneficial as it's been shown to reduce symptom severity. This is especially important for elderly, immunocompromised and those with chronic conditions who are known to be at higher risk of severe outcomes.

People who are among healthy younger populations should discuss with their healthcare provider as to their personal choice whether to get the vaccine or not.

But they didn't do that at all.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You wouldn’t know science if it bit you in the arse

I'll take the opinion of those enlisted to give diplomas and publish papers over some random internet "expert".

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So now you want to say it’s about deaths not contraction. You’ll note I didn’t say that it wasn’t effective against death. I’m sure it probably was. FYI: I was both vaccinated and boosted. 

Less deaths=contraction, non?  weren't less deaths at least part of the goal of "contraction" as you call it?   Wouldn't less deaths have been a good outcome?

Just now, redtail hawk said:

I'll take the opinion of those enlisted to give diplomas and publish papers over some random internet "expert".

I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 😉 

(And you’ll have to forgive me if I go with opinion of my own close family member who I GUARANTEE has more diplomas and published papers than you’re able to google.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Here's what the leaders could have said instead of:

"If you get the vaccine you won't get covid"

The original papers on the mRNA vaccines only showed 95% efficacy for heavens sake!

So they could have been HONEST, and just said:

The vaccine, while not a guarantee against infection, can still be beneficial as it's been shown to reduce symptom severity. This is especially important for elderly, immunocompromised and those with chronic conditions who are known to be at higher risk of severe outcomes.

People who are among healthy younger populations should discuss with their healthcare provider as to their personal choice whether to get the vaccine or not.

But they didn't do that at all.

Have you read the package insert for the vaxes?

No actual expert ever claimed 100% effectiveness and recs were very similar to what you said.  remember when the vax was in short supply.  The groups you mentioned and health care workers were the only ones who could get the vax.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 😉 

(And you’ll have to forgive me if I go with opinion of my own close family member who I GUARANTEE has more diplomas and published papers than you’re able to google.)

good.  so they know science when it bites them in the ass...they should school you....what you describe is anecdote, not useless but not particularly useful especially when massive amounts of actual data is available

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

:lol:

@redtail hawk Quack MD

It's SCIENCE.  rarely settled but still extremely useful and the best we got

Except when we have a novel coronavirus pandemic. Then the science is settled in a few weeks.

Rarely settled.  I stand by that quote.  I'm not the one on this board rthat pushed unproven treatments based on limited, poorly done studies.  In fact, I said just the opposite...