The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-says-covid-19-cases-u-s-may-be-10-n1232134

FTA:

The assessment comes from looking at blood samples across the country for the presence of antibodies to the virus. For every confirmed case of COVID-19, 10 more people had antibodies, Redfield said, referring to proteins in the blood that indicate whether a person's immune system has previously fought off the coronavirus.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gary M said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-says-covid-19-cases-u-s-may-be-10-n1232134

FTA:

The assessment comes from looking at blood samples across the country for the presence of antibodies to the virus. For every confirmed case of COVID-19, 10 more people had antibodies, Redfield said, referring to proteins in the blood that indicate whether a person's immune system has previously fought off the coronavirus.

That's last week's news, but because it's mostly positive, you didn't hear about it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People are going back to work.  They are getting screened. We start people back full time on Monday. Everyone gets their temp taken and asked screening questions.  If they fail they are sent home.  These obviously are not counted as positive tests but I wonder how many who fail the screening go out and get tested?  With all that’s going on of course positives will go up. More and more are getting tested.  As many have stated it’s the number of deaths that we need to be looking at not the positive tests. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re right it’s not a big deal, and therefore I’m not sure why you chose to make the point. And on the contrary NY’s TWELVE deaths was indeed the lowest since I’ve been reporting. Shosin....where are you trying to go with this? Occasionally the glass is actually less full!!!!!!!

Just trying to keep the numbers clear. You normally are discussing the death counts for the country as a whole and country-wide, yesterday was not the lowest to date. When you mention states, you call them out by name. I was making sure to correct that data point. 

Either way, next week and the week after will be interesting to see if we start to see rising counts.

Edited by shoshin

24 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Just trying to keep the numbers clear. You normally are discussing the death counts for the country as a whole and country-wide, yesterday was not the lowest to date. When you mention states, you call them out by name. I was making sure to correct that data point. 

Either way, next week and the week after will be interesting to see if we start to see rising counts.

If true this would be huge and would help explain the burnout in hard hit areas in Europe and New York City.

Essentially this would mean that herd immunity is realistic for some cities in the US and that many others throughout the country could be immune to the virus that aren’t showing up in the antibody tests.

• Thank you (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, shoshin said:

You've been saying this for weeks man. "Deaths lag behind cases."  By how long?  2 months? Florida and Georgia opened in May.

The death wave is not coming.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure that’s what’s at the heart of it. I believe younger people are developing symptoms, which is pretty unusual during the Summer actually, and THEN they’re going and getting tested. 

2 hours ago, Gary M said:

Someone posted the tweet from the guy running the hospitals, it's exactly what he said, we are testing more people.

Younger healthier patients were not being testing if they had mild symptoms.

image.thumb.png.eaebbba915f1d897fc05a0240b0f790d.png

someone help me out here why my logic is faulty.

I may not be remembering correctly but are positivity rates not increasing,. If as stated above there was strict guidelines on who could get the tests earlier , i would think that would drive positive rates through the roof.

Now, from the same tweet above( but not shown), 1/2 the people in that guys clinic are getting tests as asked by their employer due to contact( my daughter just had to do this) , would you not think positivity would be declining? 

BTW, funny here in the Richmond burbs..all the folks in my little circle were killing me for my stance on opening up etc last month...now its all their little darlings getting Covid from a series of high school graduation parties here in the West End of Richmond...classic case of do as i say...now they getting smacked on Social Media as its funny as hell. My daughter who is senior in college had to get tested cause someone she worked with was at the parties. She was negative BTW

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You've been saying this for weeks man. "Deaths lag behind cases."  By how long?  2 months? Florida and Georgia opened in May.

The death wave is not coming.

Based on the above graphs, looks like ~2 weeks minimum and closer to 3 weeks. But something appears different so far and hopefully that continues to be the case. Arizona, Texas, and Florida are the test states. 

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

someone help me out here why my logic is faulty.

I may not be remembering correctly but are positivity rates not increasing,. If as stated above there was strict guidelines on who could get the tests earlier , i would think that would drive positive rates through the roof.

Now, from the same tweet above( but not shown), 1/2 the people in that guys clinic are getting tests as asked by their employer due to contact( my daughter just had to do this) , would you not think positivity would be declining? 

BTW, funny here in the Richmond burbs..all the folks in my little circle were killing me for my stance on opening up etc last month...now its all their little darlings getting Covid from a series of high school graduation parties here in the West End of Richmond...classic case of do as i say...now they getting smacked on Social Media as its funny as hell. My daughter who is senior in college had to get tested cause someone she worked with was at the parties. She was negative BTW

Positives are increasing, because they are testing younger people with milder symptoms, who were not being tested before, and don't need hospitalization.

All the while deaths are declining.

image.thumb.png.09cef6aa29e6c349f707f345dbe77f36.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the full list of countries whose nationals will be allowed to enter Europe:

Algeria

Australia

Canada

Georgia

Japan

Montenegro

Morocco

New Zealand

Rwanda

Serbia

South Korea

Thailand

Tunisia

Uruguay

*China allowed if it allows Europeans to enter China. 

Edited by shoshin

Just now, shoshin said:

This is the full list of countries whose nationals will be allowed to enter Europe:

Algeria

Australia

Canada

Georgia

Japan

Montenegro

Morocco

New Zealand

Rwanda

Serbia

South Korea

Thailand

Tunisia

Uruguay

I thought Trump said he was making the world respect us?

image.thumb.jpeg.1e9195cdb5fe88cfdff46017f28804fb.jpeg

Image without a caption
Opinion by 
Columnist
June 29, 2020 at 4:24 p.m. EDT
Add to list

Perhaps no single action better epitomizes President Trump’s narcissism than his decision to relocate the Republican National Convention from North Carolina to Florida, a state that would allow him to flout anti-coronavirus protection measures such as social distancing and mask-wearing, and expose his own followers to a deadly pandemic in the pursuit of TV optics. Now, he might not even get that.

The Post reports: “Jacksonville, the largest city in Florida and host of the Republican National Convention in August, announced Monday that masks will be mandatory in public and indoor locations, as well as in ‘other situations where individuals cannot socially distance.’ ” It seems Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry, a Republican, finally saw the necessity of following expert advice. Whether the measure will apply specifically to the convention — or rather, whether Trump will get a specific exemption from a measure necessary to protect the health of others — has yet to be determined. However, if conditions persist, it may be politically untenable for Jacksonville’s political leaders and even Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, a reliable Trump lackey, to allow the potential super-spreader convention to assemble.

Trump tried to run away from a responsible governor in North Carolina — Democrat Roy Cooper — but he may not be able to outrun the pandemic. Likewise, he can goad Republican governors from Texas, Arizona, Georgia and other Sun Belt states to open their states prematurely, recklessly exposing thousands more to the virus. But the virus catches up.

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:
Image without a caption
Opinion by 
Columnist
June 29, 2020 at 4:24 p.m. EDT
Add to list

Perhaps no single action better epitomizes President Trump’s narcissism than his decision to relocate the Republican National Convention from North Carolina to Florida, a state that would allow him to flout anti-coronavirus protection measures such as social distancing and mask-wearing, and expose his own followers to a deadly pandemic in the pursuit of TV optics. Now, he might not even get that.

The Post reports: “Jacksonville, the largest city in Florida and host of the Republican National Convention in August, announced Monday that masks will be mandatory in public and indoor locations, as well as in ‘other situations where individuals cannot socially distance.’ ” It seems Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry, a Republican, finally saw the necessity of following expert advice. Whether the measure will apply specifically to the convention — or rather, whether Trump will get a specific exemption from a measure necessary to protect the health of others — has yet to be determined. However, if conditions persist, it may be politically untenable for Jacksonville’s political leaders and even Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, a reliable Trump lackey, to allow the potential super-spreader convention to assemble.

Trump tried to run away from a responsible governor in North Carolina — Democrat Roy Cooper — but he may not be able to outrun the pandemic. Likewise, he can goad Republican governors from Texas, Arizona, Georgia and other Sun Belt states to open their states prematurely, recklessly exposing thousands more to the virus. But the virus catches up.

Since things seem to be slow for you today maybe you can head on over to the slavery thread so we can discuss your background.

Edited by RochesterRob