The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

50 minutes ago, Magox said:

Another study that shows that children aren't likely to spread the virus.

Yet another study that indicates this to be the case.  I remember a certain poster who mocked the suggestion because it came from "some twitter" user.   

Open up the schools.

List all the falsehoods claimed here along with this one potential truth and tell me which of the theories we should act on right away.

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

there are kids eating leaves because they have no food and being blown up in the middle east 

Americas need to grow a pair 

Are you implying that there isn't hunger and danger at home for kids in America?

3 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

List all the falsehoods claimed here along with this one potential truth and tell me which of the theories we should act on right away.

I have posted countless studies here that all point to this.  The question is no longer is if Children transmit the virus less so than adults, there is plenty of evidence of this, the question is how much less?

To answer your question, you can believe what you want to believe.  I am guided by the data, always have been and always will be.  I have posted a number of studies that have pointed to the same thing here on this board, it's not my responsibility to dredge them up for people who are naturally predisposed to supporting that the virus is worse than it is.

Why should I do that?  Why should I take the time to find the studies and waste my time for people who aren't willing to digest it?  There have literally only been less than a handful of posters who have been reasonable about the data that have shifted their views on, the rest are mouth-breathing ghouls.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Almost all of this is nonsense.  And not even grounded in logic.  

1.  She is ignoring the plummeting death and hospitalization rates.  

2.  So we have to accept the premise that only old sick people got the virus first....in the infancy of testing.....and now the virus decided to move to young people?  It didn't infect young people in March?  

Everyone can get a test now.  Young people that had minor symptoms but wanted a test were told no and just stay home in March and April.  

"An explanation....not all good."

What does this even mean?  

The amount of people that want death and fear leads me to a few explanations Natalie.  Not all good.....

You just hate Trump, are a miserable person, and need everyone to be miserable with you.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

I have posted countless studies here that all point to this.  The question is no longer is if Children transmit the virus less so than adults, there is plenty of evidence of this, the question is how much less?

To answer your question, you can believe what you want to believe.  I am guided by the data, always have been and always will be.  I have posted a number of studies that have pointed to the same thing here on this board, it's not my responsibility to dredge them up for people who are naturally predisposed to supporting that the virus is worse than it is.

Why should I do that?  Why should I take the time to find the studies and waste my time for people who aren't willing to digest it?  There have literally only been less than a handful of posters who have been reasonable about the data that have shifted their views on, the rest are mouth-breathing ghouls.

You're not getting my point.

Which theories should we act on immediately? Because I've seen a LOT of theories on here in the last three months+. Many are crazy. Almost all of them go nowhere. Tell me why we should have acted upon this particular theory without proof. You're saying we should have put children and their families at risk by acting on an unproven theory. How is this anything but hindsight?

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Forgot an option - NONE OF THE ABOVE

Early on we were only testing people who showed symptoms due to fewer tests available. So in doing this, we were skipping the asymptomatic people, to take care of the ones showing symptoms. This skewed the numbers of elderly high simply because they were more probable to show symptoms.

Now that literally anyone can get tested, as often as they want, we're beginning to see much more accurate numbers. We still however need to be more cautious around the elderly since they are still more apt to have troubles fighting this virus.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

I have posted a number of studies that have pointed to the same thing here on this board, it's not my responsibility to dredge them up for people who are naturally predisposed to supporting that the virus is worse than it is.

Not necessarily with regard to this specific topic and poster, but at what point in human development did it become normal for the dissenter/disagree to demand proof and evidence from the one with whom he disagrees, rather than providing his own evidence to disprove the opinion? 

I hate that about the internet. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Not necessarily with regard to this specific topic and poster, but at what point in human development did it become normal for the dissenter/disagree to demand proof and evidence from the one with whom he disagrees, rather than providing his own evidence to disprove the opinion? 

I hate that about the internet. 

Or when they request you spend a time consuming amount of time to write out an explanation they could look up themselves. 

1 minute ago, Gene Frenkle said:

You're not getting my point.

Which theories should we act on immediately? Because I've seen a LOT of theories on here in the last three months+. Many are crazy. Almost all of them go nowhere. Tell me why we should have acted upon this particular theory without proof. You're saying we should have put children and their families at risk by acting on an unproven theory. How is this anything but hindsight?

That's not what I said.

I said "Open up the schools".  

I didn't say "We should have opened up the schools", even though in hindsight we should have.

We know for a fact that the virus is less deadly than the common flu for kids under the age of 19.  That is proven in the data.  So on that front, the kids are at a very relatively low risk.

So now the only question is, if we send to kids to school will they serve as a potent vector of transmission of COVID to other kids and adults?

Sweden didn't shut down their schools and there is plenty of data to suggest from Sweden that shows that the schools played no virtually no role in transmitting the virus.  Countless studies have all shown the same.   

Any responsible decision maker doesn't purely look at things from a vacuum, in this case a COVID vacuum.   Now that we know that kids are at relatively low risk from dying from the virus and that there is plenty of data to show that they are low emitters of the virus, is it worth the risk to have children fall behind in their education?   Who are the kids that suffer the most?  Families of lower socio economic demographics, many of these families don't have internet or laptops and are falling behind in their education.  Many of these kids depend on the school lunch programs for nourishment.  Many of these kids are at home with abusive parents who are stressed out over everything that is going on.  Many of these kids are suffering from their own depressions and anxieties not having the social contact that many need.

When you balance out the ledger, it is clear that going to school makes sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Almost all of this is nonsense.  And not even grounded in logic.  

1.  She is ignoring the plummeting death and hospitalization rates.  

2.  So we have to accept the premise that only old sick people got the virus first....in the infancy of testing.....and now the virus decided to move to young people?  It didn't infect young people in March?  

Everyone can get a test now.  Young people that had minor symptoms but wanted a test were told no and just stay home in March and April.  

"An explanation....not all good."

What does this even mean?  

The amount of people that want death and fear leads me to a few explanations Natalie.  Not all good.....

You just hate Trump, are a miserable person, and need everyone to be miserable with you.  

I'm pretty sure you didn't read or understand her post, but just knee-jerked to your conclusion. 

She is explaining the rising positive cases, and gives 3 reasons for why they may be rising, two of which are good news, and one of which is potentially not. You may not believe the third explanation you don't like but it's worth hearing all 3. I agree with her that all 3 have weight and hope her first and second reasons are more right than her third. 

Edited by shoshin

12 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Forgot an option - NONE OF THE ABOVE

Early on we were only testing people who showed symptoms due to fewer tests available. So in doing this, we were skipping the asymptomatic people, to take care of the ones showing symptoms. This skewed the numbers of elderly high simply because they were more probable to show symptoms.

You're arguing with someone, but not her. She made this point:

As we do more testing in the community, we are able to capture more mild or even asymptomatic infections. This is especially true for routine workplace testing. As younger people have milder disease, this shifts the age distribution lower.

If median age drops because of more testing only, we expect:

- Increase in number of cases detected across all age groups
- Test positivity to drop in all age groups (size of drop depends on which groups are targeted for testing)
- No change in hospitalizations

12 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Now that literally anyone can get tested, as often as they want, we're beginning to see much more accurate numbers. We still however need to be more cautious around the elderly since they are still more apt to have troubles fighting this virus.

And she said this too. You just wanted to get your conclusion out there because there was one point on which you disagreed. Open your mind a crack to multiple things being true, and not all of them consistently fit into a narrative you're creating. The data will not always speak in an unambiguous voice.

Explanation 2: Elderly people are more cautious.

Median age could also drop if the elderly were protecting themselves better, even with no change in testing. For example, we are preventing more nursing home outbreaks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

not only that. but the cover up attempts in states like George and Florida to hide the real death count. We can't even trust their numbers right now because of it. All run by delusional conservative nut jobs who think this is some political game while peoples lives are at risk. 

Stop posting non peer reviewed hoaxes about cover ups!

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

The way America has handled this virus compared to every other 1st world country is truly embarrassing 

Europe is on the road to total recovery, meanwhile our cases and hospitalizations are surging again. absolute joke from the federal government.

So is the the US of A deaths are plummeting.

bb119c1685615e56c0134b725accf029ca89687d

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Stop posting non peer reviewed hoaxes about cover ups!

its literally been confirmed both Georgia and Florida governments have attempted to hide numbers 

stop getting your information from fox news 

14 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

its literally been confirmed both Georgia and Florida governments have attempted to hide numbers 

stop getting your information from fox news 

Should be easy for you to provide a recent link then.

instead of just bloviating.

• Haha (+1) 1