The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Everything moving in the right direction. Some of the data is typically under reported on Mondays but what is most impressive is not continuing lower trend but rather that there were over 440k tests with only 4% positive test rate.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And thereby proving your obsession.  

Game/Set/Match AGAIN!!  

This ***** is easy. 

???You ain’t winning *****! ??? 

You are the cat chasing the laser!!!

Chase on! ???

News from the front.

We went out today to watch a Memorial Day flyover of 18 vintage WWII planes. They covered quite a bit of SoCal and we watched them from Memorial Park in Corona Del Mar. It was pretty impressive and got lucky and picked a spot that they flew directly over.  Anyway we drove through Laguna Beach on the way home.  Looked like a typical warm day with lots of people downtown. People at the beach, people walking the sidewalks, street musicians. Not a lot of social distancing and very few masks.  What appeared to be a lot of middle fingers to big brother.  Oh and it was hilarious to see two guys on PCH at Main Beach. One waving a flag and the other on a megaphone “BEST PRESIDENT EVER!!”  Hilarious because Laguna is the liberal “jewel” of OC. 

The hysteria is waning folks.  ?

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Everything moving in the right direction. Some of the data is typically under reported on Mondays but what is most impressive is not continuing lower trend but rather that there were over 440k tests with only 4% positive test rate.

Boatload of tests. Probably explains yesterday’s lower test day. Lumps of data in the line. Texas has been particularly roller coaster in its reporting. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

News from the front.

We went out today to watch a Memorial Day flyover of 18 vintage WWII planes. They covered quite a bit of SoCal and we watched them from Memorial Park in Corona Del Mar. It was pretty impressive and got lucky and picked a spot that they flew directly over.  Anyway we drove through Laguna Beach on the way home.  Looked like a typical warm day with lots of people downtown. People at the beach, people walking the sidewalks, street musicians. Not a lot of social distancing and very few masks.  What appeared to be a lot of middle fingers to big brother.  Oh and it was hilarious to see two guys on PCH at Main Beach. One waving a flag and the other on a megaphone “BEST PRESIDENT EVER!!”  Hilarious because Laguna is the liberal “jewel” of OC. 

The hysteria is waning folks.  ?

Similar situation in Ocean City NJ. Boardwalk was tame because so much was closed but the beach didn’t have almost a soul with a mask. Everyone was just enjoying the nice day on Sat morning and today. Sunday was cold as *****. 

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Boatload of tests. Probably explains yesterday’s lower test day. Lumps of data in the line. Texas has been particularly roller coaster in its reporting. 

Similar situation in Ocean City NJ. Boardwalk was tame because so much was closed but the beach didn’t have almost a soul with a mask. Everyone was just enjoying the nice day on Sat morning and today. Sunday was cold as *****. 

The previous two days didn’t have a lowering of the positivity test rate.  Today’s was much better.  Silver was saying today that it’s plausible that we could be stuck with around the 1000 death count per day for some time.  Not predicting it but saying it’s plausible.  Idk, I know there are converging forces - one side more people are getting out - The other with more heat and humidity and possible cyclical nature?  Not sure.  - I think we will go lower.  My optimistic hopes are that we get down to below 300 on average.  That may be too optimistic.   However I have began seeing some evidence and theories that people catching other sorts of flus is building up immune systems that could portend to more community immunity.  

I want to see a little more about that before I post about it.

Also, I’m beginning to form some of my own theories but it’s late and I’m on my phone.  I will share them later.

I did see Elon Musk recommend for people to read this article. I thought it was pretty straight forward and made a really good case about how we overreacted and had the world had the wrong response aside from Sweden and the author backs it up with lots of compelling data.  Worth the read.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/05/21/how_fear_groupthink_drove_unnecessary_global_lockdowns_143253.html

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

ONCE AGAIN, THE NARRATIVE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MORE ALARMING THAN THE FACTS JUSTIFY: 

Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Carriers Are Not Very Contagious. 

“If someone doesn’t feel bad and exhibits no symptoms of disease, he can generally go about his business without harming others. If you feel bad, you should stay home. If you feel bad, stay home. If you feel okay, report to school or work. So what have we learned in this study that our mothers didn’t teach us?”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Magox said:

I did see Elon Musk recommend for people to read this article. I thought it was pretty straight forward and made a really good case about how we overreacted and had the world had the wrong response aside from Sweden and the author backs it up with lots of compelling data.  Worth the read.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/05/21/how_fear_groupthink_drove_unnecessary_global_lockdowns_143253.html

The day before, Musk tweeted just the graph from that article that shows a person’s mortality increases 100% when they get Covid unless they are children (where it increases maybe 25-50%). I hadn’t googled the article but thanks for that. It’s one-sided and understates the Sweden case but still good especially on the panicked groupthink that lead to the extended shutdown, though he is ignoring some other groupthink trends that ignore science (vaccines, masks). 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ll take the good with the bad. Yesterday, Memorial Day, was the first day in which not a single state, not even NY, registered triple digit Covid deaths. Over 30 states were either in single digits or none at all. I’m sure of course that the count will go up today, but it’s still nice to see! 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll take the good with the bad. Yesterday, Memorial Day, was the first day in which not a single state, not even NY, registered triple digit Covid deaths. Over 30 states were either in single digits or none at all. I’m sure of course that the count will go up today, but it’s still nice to see! 

2 days in a row where we didn’t lead the world in deaths too. I wish that were more because ours was dropping like a rock and not at the expense of a rising Brazil but it does feel good to not see America as number 1 in deaths. 

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I wonder if the holiday (+ weekend) will delay some reporting?

Things that have not come true.

- crippling supply chain disruptions

- 2M deaths

- no more meat

- mask wearing creating a run of robberies

- Internet shutdown because of changes in usage

- power outages

- the deaths of upstate people because Cuomo allocated resources to NYC

- unending lockdowns

- massive case spikes as areas reopened

- (18 months at least to a vaccine is not "not true" yet but could prove wrong)

The prediction business on Covid is driven by a lot of hype. Party is not relevant. Just human nature to live in fear. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Weekends have a more dramatic effect on death counts than case counts. 

image.thumb.png.a1bb8de5f3d679b57a54575b96ec72a9.png

image.thumb.png.d10c1fbbda9b73f506003e7f1a1bbcae.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It will. Although I do find it fascinating that even throughout a global pandemic the weekly rhythm of Weekend in America lives on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Cinga said:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo admitted Monday that coronavirus projections from experts were all wrong -- and he's getting out of the business of speculating because of it.

Cuomo admits 'we all failed' at making coronavirus projections

What Cuomo did was to go on TV every day and bloviate about everything under the sun including the minutiae of his brother's travails. He showed the world his innate lack of leadership and with his panicky projections, his unsteady leadership. Compare his actions to those of other people in leadership positions who were decisive without embracing their "Chicken Little" instincts. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What Cuomo did was to go on TV every day and bloviate about everything under the sun including the minutiae of his brother's travails. He showed the world his innate lack of leadership and with his panicky projections, his unsteady leadership. Compare his actions to those of other people in leadership positions who were decisive without embracing their "Chicken Little" instincts. 

Agreed... Even so many of the things we all posted here about numbers being wrong etc for the last couple months and the libs here bashed. So now these experts were not giving such good advice after all but unfortunately, the damage is done.

1 minute ago, Cinga said:

Agreed... Even so many of the things we all posted here about numbers being wrong etc for the last couple months and the libs here bashed. So now these experts were not giving such good advice after all but unfortunately, the damage is done.

Could the shutdown , masks and social distancing  have brought the projected numbers down ?

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Not likely.  Look at Sweden.

With hindsight not cutting off travel from Europe at the same time as China was fatal to NY and NJ as a big factor.