The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Bottom line?  None of these pigs can be trusted not to manipulate their data for a preferred narrative.

your response reflect more on you than me - but keep spinning!  You’re winning!

#MAGgots

I win everyday. Thanks for noticing. I dedicate this song to...myself.

3 minutes ago, meazza said:

Those poor hamsters.

It's OK, they are loaners from Richard Gere.

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

The number of billionaires pushing for everyone to go back to work early proves one thing and one thing only. 

They don't make their money.

I have never understood this argument. Billionaires are just fine with everything closed down for the most part...sure they may lose half their net worth if we stayed closed to vaccine, but they would prolly still be billionaires. I mean they may to buy a used Gulfstream, but they still aint flying commercial.Even upper middle class folks doing just fine getting their paychecks working from home..and  they can for the foreseeable future. But they dont have to risk getting sick in the Amazon warehouse or the Kroger produce section making sure the upper middle class still gets their fresh produce everyday or their new pair of skinny jeans.

Low wage earners OTOH can very rarely work from home, are being forced to put themselves in harms way now to make sure the rest of us can eat the same, do the same lawn work, plant the same gardens etc.  And if they were laid off, and vast majority of the unemployed is low wage earners...choice is not new or used jet, but food or heat  bill this week? 

The argument of "billionaires " want to go back to work just makes no sense...can you explain the logic to me?

I should add...based on the stimulas bills etc, the market does not reflect the economy anymore. The "market" is doing just fine..where the majority of billionaires are participating, and very little "common folk" are ..the economy is in the pooper, where the "common folk " are participating.  . 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have never understood this argument. Billionaires are just fine with everything closed down for the most part...sure they may lose half their net worth if we stayed closed to vaccine, but they would prolly still be billionaires. I mean they may to buy a used Gulfstream, but they still aint flying commercial.Even upper middle class folks doing just fine getting their paychecks working from home..and  they can for the foreseeable future. But they dont have to risk getting sick in the Amazon warehouse or the Kroger produce section making sure the upper middle class still gets their fresh produce everyday or their new pair of skinny jeans.

Low wage earners OTOH can very rarely work from home, are being forced to put themselves in harms way now to make sure the rest of us can eat the same, do the same lawn work, plant the same gardens etc.  And if they were laid off, and vast majority of the unemployed is low wage earners...choice is not new or used jet, but food or heat  bill this week? 

The argument of "billionaires " want to go back to work just makes no sense...can you explain the logic to me?

The Pegulas had to put a hold on building their $250M yacht - they are not happy.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I should add...based on the stimulas bills etc, the market does not reflect the economy anymore. The "market" is doing just fine..where the majority of billionaires are participating, and very little "common folk" are ..the economy is in the pooper, where the "common folk " are participating.  . 

I guess that I would quibble a little with your assessment of the upper middle class.  The people who would own businesses that would employ several other people at a minimum and would provide to the point of being able to finance their kids modest college educations and a vacation property.  A high end restaurant owner or used vehicle dealer for a couple of examples.  I've already heard of a couple of closures of such businesses.  They cannot go to even half of their normal revenue for several weeks and hope to survive.  Further, the bulk of their customers would be the ones to work in the community who have had their incomes reduced so their expenditures are carefully laid out.  These people are the ones you see mostly in the communities throughout WNY.  The people who work in a cubicle that can readily access the office from home are there but not the majority of the community or close to it.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The oligarchs around the world are in fear of a genuine populist movement taking hold because of the effects of the virus. Trump is really a pseudo-populist that the oligarchs all over the world love, especially in Russia and Saudi Arabia, but the domestic variety love him to. 

33 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I guess that I would quibble a little with your assessment of the upper middle class.  The people who would own businesses that would employ several other people at a minimum and would provide to the point of being able to finance their kids modest college educations and a vacation property.  A high end restaurant owner or used vehicle dealer for a couple of examples.  I've already heard of a couple of closures of such businesses.  They cannot go to even half of their normal revenue for several weeks and hope to survive.  Further, the bulk of their customers would be the ones to work in the community who have had their incomes reduced so their expenditures are carefully laid out.  These people are the ones you see mostly in the communities throughout WNY.  The people who work in a cubicle that can readily access the office from home are there but not the majority of the community or close to it.

Agree with this. My point would have been better made saying the majority of the people arguing against reopening are the folks not getting hurt right now, those working from home etc. 

Be funny to see how fast they changed their tune if Amazon stopped delivering, Kroger and Target and Lowe’s closed etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Agree with this. My point would have been better made saying the majority of the people arguing against reopening are the folks not getting hurt right now, those working from home etc. 

Be funny to see how fast they changed their tune if Amazon stopped delivering, Kroger and Target and Lowe’s closed etc. 

I'm working from home. I want to reopen a month ago. We need to manage our way through this, not just shut down. 

We used a sledgehammer to drive a tack with the shutdown. We did need to do something because we had no idea how bad things were going to get and exponential case and death growth was attention-grabbing. We now have a better handle on things. So let's manage. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

From an anecdotal standpoint only, almost all of the people, in my sphere, arguing against reopening have been receivng paychecks this entire time.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I'm working from home. I want to reopen a month ago. We need to manage our way through this, not just shut down. 

If Cuomo would have surveyed each county executive or manager back in mid-March he would have found that quite a number of communities should have kept running as the risk while not zero was very minimal.  Now he is talking about virtual schooling.  Many communities throughout WNY rely on their schools as economic engines.  Virtual schooling will put bus drivers, teacher aides, lunch staff, janitorial, grounds maintenance, etc. out of work adding to unemployment.  Some teachers will need to be retained to plan the curriculum but others will need to relocate.  

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

From an anecdotal standpoint only, almost all of the people, in my sphere, arguing against reopening have been receivng paychecks this entire time.

In my sphere, it's 100%  and it's everyone who can simply work from home with no issues.  

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

;)

Great news all the way around.

That test positive rate off of such a big sample of 75k tests is remarkable.    Despite all the crying of "We need more tests to get through phase 1", this clearly shows that whoever wants or needs a test can get a test.  My question now would be who are taking these tests?  I'd like to know are they being conducted on a surveillance basis in the nursing homes/strategic areas and or low income communities - senior focus. 

But it's a very low rate. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Screen-Shot-2020-05-16-at-7.04.33-PM.png                             Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-8.17.07-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-05-17-at-7.58.51-PM.png                                             Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-2.58.41-PM.png              

Screen-Shot-2020-05-17-at-11.38.50-AM.pn

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3