The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Because those young men were part of a generation the likes of which haven't been seen since.  Since then it's been mostly hippies.

lot o wars over 250 years..all fought to preserve ourway of life

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

agreed, and we need to be able to have rational conservations about the moral decisions around sacrificing lives downstream that have an expected life  span of greater than 50  years  vs ones that have an expected lifespan of 3 months.Callousness it may be, i call it utilitarianism ,

Every human is a life with loved ones. No one is a utility.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why was it not an issue  to send young men( for the most part) to fight wars ,

It ALWAYS was and always will be. They day it isn't is a day we don't want. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Trump's word not mine referring to demonstrations in 3 states , try to keep up.

I meant interesting coming from you. I agree with the word. We need to be liberated. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

okay? where do i sign up to be first in line?

hmm, what callouness. Average stay in  a nursing  home under 6 months, in a state run facility under 4 months. People leaving aint going home cause they got better. 

People freaking die all the time, its what we do. Its why we have hospice.Both parents and my brother  I guess could have gone to nursing homes and eeked out  a few more months, they decided whats the freaking point...gunna die there or die at home..they chose to die at home.

The  real callousness is people ( not you i know) who refuse to acknowledge any downstream effects and deaths the lockdowns may cause, especially on children in homes with lesser means...that's some serious callousness.

I gave you a thanks for your response to him calling me callous not about wanting to be first in line to help in my demise.  That gets an awesome!  ?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Every human is a life with loved ones. No one is a utility.

It ALWAYS was and always will be. They day it isn't is a day we don't want. 

Agreed, but to deny the reality that we have always balanced the loss of life vs the greater good of the country is also not true. 

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

agreed, and we need to be able to have rational conservations about the moral decisions around sacrificing lives downstream that have an expected life  span of greater than 50  years  vs ones that have an expected lifespan of 3 months.Callousness it may be, i call it utilitarianism ,

Why was it not an issue  to send young men( for the most part) to fight wars , but now we have an issue with talking about the fact that some at end of life are going to be put in danger in order to preserve our way of life and yes, our very country.

I agree with this. Some may say your words are cold and unfeeling, but that’s really just semantics. This ( and wars) are harsh realities that involve difficult, even brutal decisions. Not for the faint of heart, but they must be made. As a country, there is a sizable faction doing everything they can to make the wrong one. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

lot o wars over 250 years..all fought to preserve ourway of life

100%.  But on the Homefront the last few generations have been very quick to shout me, me, me.  On top of it, those voices get echoed quickly by power grabbing idiots and it pits group against group.

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree with this. Some may say your words are cold and unfeeling, but that’s really just semantics. This ( and wars) are harsh realities that involve difficult, even brutal decisions. Not for the faint of heart, but they must be made. As a country, there is a sizable faction doing everything they can to make the wrong one. 

i dunno, maybe i been there at the end to many times. Maybe it's seeing my folks say leaving my kids with 90K to split 3 ways was way  more important to them then an extra couple months in a nursing home..they worked their whole lives, and were proud AF they were leaving something to their kids ..the dignity in that is hard to comprehend for so many people.And to be clear not saying @shoshin, saying the body politic that says no life is worth sacrificing for the economy

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

People freaking die all the time, its what we do. Its why we have hospice.Both parents and my brother  I guess could have gone to nursing homes and eeked out  a few more months, they decided whats the freaking point...gunna die there or die at home..they chose to die at home.

My Uncle Joe (moniker) told my dad when he went in the hospital for the last time, "I came in the front door but I'm going out the back door."
He didn't loose his sense of humor or perspective. RIP

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There are people out there that vote their conscious, and we are better for it. Proud of my Representative, keep an eye on her if she decides to make a career of politics. Only campaign i have ever volunteered for and fund raise for. @Buffalo_Gal.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/spanberger-opposes-latest-stimulus-package-saying-it-goes-far-beyond-pandemic-relief/article_c0d7b166-59aa-5204-b2c3-21d85fa5b3ab.html

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

America’s finest right here...

I mean - who doesn’t get their medical advice from Facebook? ???

How dare any of these plebs question the integrity of the media? Don't they recognize their betters when they see them?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How dare any of these plebs question the integrity of the media? Don't they recognize their betters when they see them?

Doesn’t Trump hate people like that? He hates people that are unsuccessful 

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

There are people out there that vote their conscious, and we are better for it. Proud of my Representative, keep an eye on her if she decides to make a career of politics. Only campaign i have ever volunteered for and fund raise for. @Buffalo_Gal.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/spanberger-opposes-latest-stimulus-package-saying-it-goes-far-beyond-pandemic-relief/article_c0d7b166-59aa-5204-b2c3-21d85fa5b3ab.html

I am glad that there are a few Ds coming out against this behemoth pork package. Sounds like it will be trimmed, as it should be. We will find out later if it is trimmed enough, and what "goodies" are kept in.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

NY death count continues to trend way down.  Friday showed only six states in low triple digit deaths with NY in the middle of the pack. NJ took the top spot. The other 44 states are way down! This thing is over.

It’s down. Not way down. And the summer of 1918 was awesome. 

I’ll call it over when we have it under control through a flu season. Until then we need to plan for its inevitable return this fall and work like MFers on treatments. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am glad that there are a few Ds coming out against this behemoth pork package. Sounds like it will be trimmed, as it should be. We will find out later if it is trimmed enough, and what "goodies" are kept in.

As long as corporate America and Trumps friends get their billions F the rest - then you’ll be happy.