The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

APOCALYPSE POSTPONED (LIBERAL PUNDITS HARDEST HIT):

An ***** of Plague Death, Deferred.  (blocked, really ?.........O.r.g.y.)

Caseloads have declined in Florida and Georgia since the lockdowns were eased by Republican governors who were denounced for ignoring “the science.”

In the Atlantic, Amanda Mull’s dispatch anticipating Georgia’s apocalyptic future was entitled simply, “Georgia’s Experiment in Human Sacrifice: The state is about to find out how many people need to lose their lives to shore up the economy.” According to her reporting, though Georgians chafed under lockdown, there was no serious insurrectionary sentiment among the people when Kemp announced his intention to relax restrictions on service industries. “Georgians are now the largely unwilling canaries in an invisible coal mine,” she wrote, “sent to find out just how many individuals need to lose their job or their life for a state to work through a plague.”

“Public health experts fear coronavirus will burn through Georgia like nothing has since William Tecumseh Sherman,” read a florid analogy from the Washington Post’s Dana Milbank. His tongue-in-cheek piece, “Georgia leads the race to become America’s No. 1 Death Destination,” toyed with the notion that Peach State residents were dying to work out at their local gyms including “CrossImmunity” and “Superspreader” boot camp. Cosmetologists could perform a “deep lung-tissue massage.” Restaurant-goers could enjoy “wet-market-to-table restaurants to experience a growing sampling of zoonotic dishes.” This columnist clearly enjoyed the time he spent crafting witty prose around the prospect of plague.

Those who did not strike either an authoritative or flippant tone struck a more somber note. “Mark this day,” Ron Fournier wrote on April 20. “Because two and three weeks from now, the Georgia death toll is blood on his hands. And as Georgians move around the country, they’ll spread more death and economic destruction.”

Florida’s DeSantis was, according to state Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, “reckless, premature, and irresponsible” to allow municipalities to reopen their coasts in mid-April. When stores began reopening, the Miami Herald editorial board accused the governor of serving up his state’s citizens as a sacrifice in return for some imagined “political favor” from the president. As recently as this week, the Washington Post’s Ben Terris and Josh Dawsey described DeSantis as the prototypical “Florida Man”—a “devil-may-care and slightly oafish, beloved but not admired” cliché of a human being.

Edited by B-Man

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

The experts disagree. I'll believe them, you obviously believe liar Trump 

Just telling my personal experience. Don’t believe everything you see in the media. I doubt I’m the only one. A relative went to a mobile drive thru testing site in the south towns last week and had a similar experience. They are testing anyone ( no symptoms required) for the last several weeks and it takes just a few brief questions by phone to make an appointment. Results are fast, even more than I expected. Sometimes you just really have to go out and see for yourself. I’d recommend getting tested to anyone, and it will help contribute to counties amassing accurate data. 

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Just telling my personal experience. Don’t believe everything you see in the media. I doubt I’m the only one. A relative went to a mobile drive thru testing site in the south towns last week and had a similar experience. They are testing anyone ( no symptoms required) for the last several weeks and it takes just a few brief questions by phone to make an appointment. Results are fast, even more than I expected. Sometimes you just really have to go out and see for yourself. I’d recommend getting tested to anyone, and it will help contribute to counties amassing accurate data. 

I believe the experts more than anything Trump says. And I very much distrust people saying, for whatever reasons I cannot fathom, to not believe them. 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I believe the experts more than anything Trump says. And I very much distrust people saying, for whatever reasons I cannot fathom, to not believe them. 

Who are these experts and how recent is their data ? Often , there are very good reasons not to believe “ them” because what they say isn’t accurate. Believe who you want, but there is no substitute for personal experience. Perhaps there is someplace somewhere USA that has a problem, but testing has been ramped up for awhile. It’s good advise to always take everything with the required grain of salt. Even “ experts” don’t agree on everything and this isn’t exactly a theory anyway. It’s a practical matter: can you get a test or not? 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You can ***** right off with this nonsense. 

We won't live in a bubble. 

Yep, sorry not doing that. I’ll take my chances vs that contraption. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Who are these experts and how recent is their data ? 

I was talking in general, wether its the national security people saying that Russia did help Trump in 2016 and still is, or  the experts on pandemics. 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

"They've been working on it since January..."

That stood out.

Yeah, as soon as they got the sequence they started. R&D at drug companies must spend a fortune on speculation.

• Like (+1) 2

"According to a CNN poll released this week, nearly three-quarters of Democrats said the worst of the crisis is still ahead of us..."

"... while only about a quarter of Republicans said the same. This marked a 15 percentage-point drop among Democrats since CNN last asked the question in April, and a 44-point drop among Republicans. A YouGov/Economist poll also found a similar divide this week; 58 percent of Democrats said the pandemic is going to get worse compared with only 20 percent of Republicans...."

FiveThirtyEight reports.

Why should predictions about what a virus will do have so much to do with political orientation? I might be missing something, but I see 2 types of reasoning:

1. Optimism or pessimism is a psychological orientation that is more fundamental than political affiliation. It affects which party you feel drawn to and how you see the virus going in the future. Pessimists picture things going wrong, so they want more help from the government, and the Democrats are there to offer to help. Optimists think they can make good things happen and the Republicans offer to get government out of the way.

2. A Republican is in the White House, and Democrats don't trust him and assume he's screwing things up, so they're more likely to picture bad things happening in the future. There's also wishful thinking: They want him to fail, and more death and sickness is something that — in a perverse and unacknowledged way — they want. Republicans are the opposite. They're more able to trust Trump, and the ordinary wishful thinking that the virus will go away aligns nicely with the hope that Trump will triumph.

• Thank you (+1) 3