The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t believe that’s what he said. I believe he said we’ll be much better positioned for it if and when it happens. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

That might have been what he meant. Even so, I disagree

37 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Wow!

Either you didn't read it or you're simpler than I thought.

Is the following an editorial or statement of fact?

When: Multiple times
The claim: The Trump White House “inherited” a “broken,” “bad,” and “obsolete” test for the coronavirus.
The truth: The novel coronavirus did not exist in humans during the Obama administration. Public-health experts agree that, because of that fact, the CDC could not have produced a test, and thus a new test had to be developed this year.

I admit, I didn't click the link so maybe there is context I don't have, but I have multiple issues with the portion you copied alone.

1. The claim is generically stated as being said multiple times rather than a specific time and source. This is probably because nobody made this particular claim. Lots of people made 2 different but similar claims, which takes me to number 2. If you can find someone who specifically said that the Trump admin inherited bad tests from the previous administration, I'd love to see it.

2. The claim seems to be the combination of parts of two different claims.

One of those claims is that the Trump WH inherited the depleted PPE stock, which was blamed on Obama as the 'truth' implies. There was ample time to resupply prior to 2016. There were also 3 years for Trump to resupply.

The second claim is that the tests put forth by the WHO were bad. I believe the tests were developed in Germany, but the ones we would have received were going to be manufactured in China. Trump decided to try to do the tests here instead of taking them from the WHO, and they failed due to a bad blank IIRC. If he were to direct blame for this, it would likely be towards China as he didn't trust them, and to a lesser extent the WHO.

3. The 'truth' section is certainly factually accurate. But it has no relation to reality or any actual claims as far as I can tell. When he has blamed Obama it has been for things that actually happened. Now Trump may have a share of the blame in those things, like the PPE scenario, but they happened. He has been blaming China for lots of things for at least a decade.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

sucks, just went through 3 pages in less than a minute. This used to be a thread one could learn from, no longer

Here’s something to learn: yesterday was the first day that only NY state reported triple digit deaths. All other 49 states were well under 100 with quite a few recording none at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s something to learn: yesterday was the first day that only NY state reported triple digit deaths. All other 49 states were well under 100 with quite a few recording none at all. 

Great news - unfortunately it was Monday numbers and there are a handful of states whose numbers are still climbing. 

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

So, you have more knowledge than him on this topic?

I have knowledge on his patents and international business dealings. You obviously don't. Plus, you are not even considering that he might be lying to you. Look up GP 120 yourself. You may not like the big words, but just take your time with it.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

That might have been what he meant. Even so, I disagree

Kemp...honest question: Did you even watch his interview at the Lincoln Memorial or are you just parroting what others have told you he said? The guy is not the monster you’ve been told to think he is.

1 minute ago, Warren Zevon said:

Great news - unfortunately it was Monday numbers and there are a handful of states whose numbers are still climbing. 

Come on Warren. You can keep trying to resuscitate this sucker, but it’s over! Thank goodness. It could’ve been a lot worse.

20 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually understand a bit about research and data, and the weight of data, and the generalization of data, etc. I have looked at enough data for me to feel comfortable in my stance. I stand by that. I made my statement based on what I have read. I think my initial wording was incorrect as I didn't mean to imply that the weight of the data supported my stance, only that much of the emerging data I have read - meaning most of the data I have read, not data that exists.

If you want to say you disagree based on what you have read, fine. However, your response was to say, "The weight of the data is obvious." The fact is, you haven't read all of the data, so you have no idea what the weight of the data supports and all you are doing is the very thing you accused me of.

so... he's on the pot/kettle list then.

• Thank you (+1) 1