The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

16 hours ago, Justice said:

That question wasn’t posed to me because I never said he told anyone to ingest Lysol or anything like it but still, what he said was bad enough. It was ignorant, irresponsible and dangerous to the morons out there. And no he wasn’t being sarcastic and even if he was this is not the time, the place or the setting for sarcasm. It’s inexcusable and indefensible. 

9 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

"Save the morons!"

It was actually ignorant, irresponsible, dangerous, inexcusable, indefensible, unreasonable, reprehensible, untenable, reckless, rash, careless, thoughtless, incautious, unwise, imprudent, ill-considered, injudicious, misguided, and unheeding! As well as, unforgivable,  unpardonable, uncalled for, unprovoked, without justification, without cause, without reason, unacceptable, AND unwarrantable!!! 

You're an idiot.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think hospitalizations are key, as 1) increased hospitilzations would mean outbreak is growing..tests or no tests..2)lack of hospital beds etc will lead to increased deaths I would think

You know, thats a great point. I try to do all I can to limit all apps from using location services except when using the app, but realistically,  like you said they prolly know my every step anyway.

I agree that tracking hospitalizations is important, but once you see those go up, isn’t it too late? Once people are hospitalized, they’ve likely spread their illness to at least one person. 

50 minutes ago, GG said:

That is correct, and when you look at the log scale of NYS and NYC growth, the crisis clearly peaked 2 weeks ago.  NYS north of Orange County needs to open up ASAP.  

I think the next thing to worry about blood clots related to coronavirus. USA, Italy, Spain, UK, Irish people hell even China.. Reports in different country. Possibly the blood tiny clots in the lungs there tiny. Heard maybe the blood clots causing heart attacks and strokes younger people. Read online 40% people left hospital and went back cause covid19 blood clots to lungs, strokes and other things. Some lost leg from covid19. 

Blood clots is a connection to covid19. Many legit people noticed, healthcare workers, doctors, many see this. 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

57 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The cases declining over 14 days is only one factor in the Trump guidelines. The others are just a few posts upstream but include hospitals not in crisis care, testing, and also (not pasted above):

image.png.ef3a1cf35ee046fa1bb04838ca33e477.png

Thank you.

I don’t know whether this is true, but with so much focus on downstate NY, I would think that these measures are actually low hurdles at this point. Either that, or NYC is never going to get to phase 1 because tracking will be impossible. It seems as though I’m never getting back to work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

I agree that tracking hospitalizations is important, but once you see those go up, isn’t it too late? Once people are hospitalized, they’ve likely spread their illness to at least one person. 

true..but I think the worry is more about hospitals being overrun than number of people who are positive.

Listening to Cuomo the other day he said as part of the plan for NY...will gradually reopen and monitor hospital capacity..if an area gets to 70% capacity or 70% of ICU beds taken, current rules will have to be put back in place. That makes sense to me..a

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I think the next thing to worry about blood clots related to coronavirus. USA, Italy, Spain, UK, Irish people hell even China.. Reports in different country. Possibly the blood tiny clots in the lungs there tiny. Heard maybe the blood clots causing heart attacks and strokes younger people. Read online 40% people left hospital and went back cause covid19 blood clots to lungs, strokes and other things. Some lost leg from covid19. 

Blood clots is a connection to covid19. Many legit people noticed, healthcare workers, doctors, many see this. 

I’m just going to drink more alcohol to keep my blood thin ?.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

true..but I think the worry is more about hospitals being overrun than number of people who are positive.

Listening to Cuomo the other day he said as part of the plan for NY...will gradually reopen and monitor hospital capacity..if an area gets to 70% capacity or 70% of ICU beds taken, current rules will have to be put back in place. That makes sense to me..a

I do agree with this approach, especially because it is consistent with the entire reason for shutting down in the first place.

At the same time I think if you’re only focusing on people this far downstream, then this is going to remain a continuing problem. Keep in mind, I’m seeing this from a problem zone.  Upstate and non-urban areas is completely different to me.  I think at some point there’s no good answer and NYC is just going to have to open up and let things play out. I just don’t trust the mayor to ever do that (and I understand that point of view, too).

17 minutes ago, snafu said:

then this is going to remain a continuing problem. 

I think this is going to be a problem till a vaccine is available no matter the approach that is taken. I am 100% convinced the shutdowns were the right play, but think as more knowledge of the infection rates , hospital utilization rates, and morbidity rates become available, we can approach differently. People are gunna die from Covid, thats just the way life goes. How we can manage that to be as small as possible without sending out contry deepr into social unrest and economic peril where these is no recovery is my concern now. 

I dont know why there cannot be a middle ground where we say " we going back to work, if you are in a high risk category..you can stay home and get paid, and have a guaranteed job when a vaccine is available or herd immunity is reached" . I know, possibly a bureaucratic nightmare, but to me economy gets going again, gives business time to ramp up employment as demand ramps, and lowers unemployment ranks that would more than pay for the high risk group to stay home. 

I getting up there, worked my whole life and saved like crazy to insure a comfortable retitement, hate to see 35 years worth of work go down the pooper

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think this is going to be a problem till a vaccine is available no matter the approach that is taken. I am 100% convinced the shutdowns were the right play, but think as more knowledge of the infection rates , hospital utilization rates, and morbidity rates become available, we can approach differently. People are gunna die from Covid, thats just the way life goes. How we can manage that to be as small as possible without sending out contry deepr into social unrest and economic peril where these is no recovery is my concern now. 

I dont know why there cannot be a middle ground where we say " we going back to work, if you are in a high risk category..you can stay home and get paid, and have a guaranteed job when a vaccine is available or herd immunity is reached" . I know, possibly a bureaucratic nightmare, but to me economy gets going again, gives business time to ramp up employment as demand ramps, and lowers unemployment ranks that would more than pay for the high risk group to stay home. 

I getting up there, worked my whole life and saved like crazy to insure a comfortable retitement, hate to see 35 years worth of work go down the pooper

Yeah, the vaccines for the flu have worked so well for people. Everyone I know that takes them gets sick for two weeks afterwards like clockwork. There is something completely wrong with this dynamic. 

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’m not holding my breath for an effective treatment or a vaccine, to tell the truth. People have tried finding cures for cold and flu viruses for decades.  Why think that anyone is going to do anything better than “get some rest and treat the symptoms” is a mystery to me.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Healthcare is the resource that is the most limited and I agree with this. But even healthcare is a downstream resource from infection. I hope that we can work towards the system Trump envisions in the guidelines with enough rapid testing (not the 3-4 day stuff) and contact tracing because that would give much more instananeous feedback and allow healthcare systems to react faster. 

Moving from our current case tracking as any measure of progress is important right now because it's not helping until we are doing a lot more and faster tests. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So, does something special happen when this pandemic thread hits 666 pages? Because it's within grasp and I feel like I need to prepare. 

Boys and Girls, we made it. I am at least as prepared as western governments were for Covid.

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Standing in line to enter Wegmans - 200 deep with people all wearing masks - you think we are better off today than four years ago?

Nope. 

Your post makes a point.

But not the one you intended.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Your post makes a point.

But not the one you intended.

You’re right - I’m not one of the 60,000 plus Americans who are dead because Trump ignored his intelligence in November and December.