The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: 

Your TDS is showing... It's literally the headline next to the clip.

And then within the clip, starting at 1:01 Dr. Fauci says explicitly:

"Let me just finish by saying, given what I just said and what I believe you're going to hear (from the next speakers which aren't in the clip, and is why you need to NOT rely on clips but rather the full statements), that for what we need in the first phase, if these things are done correctly (he's referring to the massive private lab testing available which he discussed before this clip, and you're ignoring -- not to mention what the other docs and Admiral explained in detail after his comments) but I believe they can, we will have and there will be enough tests to allow us to take this country safely through phase one". 

You're hung up on the "I believe they can" thinking that means they can't now. But if you listen to his FULL comments you see that is NOT what he means. What he means by "believe they can" is that he believes the governors now know WHERE the testing is already available (and has been for weeks). It's a major difference, and destroys your position. 

Because you shouldn't listen to clips. That's relying on the media to currate the message for you. ANd with your (obvious) TDS, that leads to you being woefully misinformed. 

You're wrong. 100%

Because you are letting your FEELZ get in the way of reason and logic. Be better. 

"I believe they can, we will have and there will be enough tests to allow us to take this country safely through phase one". 

Yeah, that's what I am hung up on.  Future vs present text.  I'm not buying your spin.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

"I believe they can, we will have and there will be enough tests to allow us to take this country safely through phase one". 

Yeah, that's what I am hung up on.  Future vs present text.  I'm not buying your spin.

It's only spin if you pretend the 20 minutes before that statement, and 20 minutes after it didn't exist. 

Which is why you're wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's only spin if you pretend the 20 minutes before that statement, and 20 minutes after it didn't exist. 

Which is why you're wrong. 

So what did he say 20 minutes before or 20 minutes after that would change my mind?  I do want to take things in full context.  Why shouldn't I take issue with a link that someone else posted?

I've seen a lot of Fauci talking and he just seem far more circumspect that you or Magox seem to think.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I've said that these people would have informed on the Jews living in attics during WW2 Germany. I was not kidding.

You said enough to write a book.  People make jokes about Nazi's as though they are isolated due to distance and time.  Unfortunately, the tendencies are as such that they can take root in a person regardless of the time they live in or what their background is.  I hope that we do not have to relearn history the hard way here in the US in present times.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Scraps said:

So what did he say 20 minutes before or 20 minutes after that would change my mind? 

I explained it. But you should watch the full news conference and see for yourself. 

They laid out how the issue with testing isn't the lack of availability, but the lack of the governors realizing WHERE the testing centers are outside of the hospitals. The Quest labs et al. Both Fauci before that statement, and Blix after that clip, went into granular detail about how the testing would work and how there is, right now, more than enough capacity to not only begin Phase one, but carry us through it. 

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I've seen a lot of Fauci talking and he just seem far more circumspect that you or Magox seem to think.

The hill you've chosen to die on isn't about other times Fauci has spoken. It's about this comment. Which you have gravely misinterpreted because you want to have your opinions validated rather than understand the truth. It's a dangerous way to consume information in  the midst of a (dis)information war. 

Fauci couches everything in doctor speak, because that's what he is. And you can't compare him or Blix to Trump's style of speaking. One uses a hammer, the other a scalpel. But the reality is that Fauci signed off on phase one -- and its testing capabilities, both in their meetings and in that very press conference. That's a fact, not spin. 

To argue that he didn't say what he clearly said -- based on a 1 minute clip of a 1.5 hour news conference is a poor way to try to understand a topic. Be better. Do better. I believe you can. It starts by realizing your news sources aren't being honest with you. That requires YOU (and all of us) to do more heavy lifting than usual. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Magox said:

Context matters.  I was talking about how the lede from the media should have been how Birx and Fauci says there is enough testing for phase 1.  That was pretty damn newsworthy.  But as I predicted if you go to The NY Times and WAPO, the headlines are how Trump is “fomenting” unrest. 

I was pretty clear with my words.  I didn’t say there was sufficient overall testing as a matter of fact I have discussed this at length in other threads that we need more testing.    For some reason you chimed in and began arguing something I never said.

You’re arguing with me. I’m arguing that “we have enough tests for Phase 1” Does not mean “we have enough tests and testing capacity to identify most of the cases.” And yes I do think it’s a careful spin being out on that. We are a long way from having capability and capacity to identify all the positives as they happen so we can (a) quickly identify and contact trace (contact tracing is part of the plan, remember), and (b) measure mortality. 

In any event, I am sure Fauci and Birx will talk a lot about testing in the days to come so we will hear more and their thoughts will become clearer. 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

You’re arguing with me. I’m arguing that “we have enough tests for Phase 1” Does not mean “we have enough tests and testing capacity to identify most of the cases.” And yes I do think it’s a careful spin being out on that. We are a long way from having capability and capacity to identify all the positives as they happen so we can (a) quickly identify and contact trace (contact tracing is part of the plan, remember), and (b) measure mortality. 

They explicitly stated, several times yesterday, that the notion that we can test 350 million people in one day will never happen and is unnecessary due to the fact that a negative test on one day doesn't mean you're negative tomorrow. Indiscriminate testing isn't realistic, feasible, or needed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They explicitly stated, several times yesterday, that the notion that we can test 350 million people in one day will never happen and is unnecessary due to the fact that a negative test on one day doesn't mean you're negative tomorrow. Indiscriminate testing isn't realistic, feasible, or needed. 

I didn’t say you need to test 350M in one day. You need the ability to test every symptomatic person AND need antibody tests for all healthcare workers. You’ll have a hard time convincing me that level of testing is ready now, though I think it’s close (2-3 weeks if Abbot can really roll out its tests as they forecast).

And contact tracing? And asymptomatic testing sites? I am extremely skeptical those have been set up or are nearly ready to go. 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

I didn’t say you need to test 350M in one day. You need the ability to test every symptomatic person AND need antibody tests for all healthcare workers. You’ll have a hard time convincing me that level of testing is ready now, though I think it’s close (2-3 weeks if Abbot can really roll out its tests as they forecast).

With social distancing/personal protection precautions, you should be fine. 

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

In any event, I am sure Fauci and Birx will talk a lot about testing in the days to come so we will hear more and their thoughts will become clearer. 

It means that Dr Birx and Dr Fauci believe we have enough testing for phase 1.  Period stop.  End of story.   If you think they are lying or spinning, then That’s your judgement.   

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

With the private labs activated across the country, it is ready today. I'm not trying to convince you, that was the entire point of yesterday's long press conference. They went into granular detail about how it works and why there were problems early on (because the Governors didn't know where the labs are or that they could be tapped to be used for testing). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

With the private labs activated across the country, it is ready today. I'm not trying to convince you, that was the entire point of yesterday's long press conference. They went into granular detail about how it works and why there were problems early on (because the Governors didn't know where the labs are or that they could be tapped to be used for testing). 

You guys keep arguing capacity. That’s not capability. 

And contact tracing? And asymptomatic testing sites? I am extremely skeptical those have been set up or are nearly ready to go. 

Edited by shoshin

Just now, shoshin said:

You guys keep arguing capacity. That’s not capability. 

You are one of those people that Dr Fauci is exasperated with.   Where you have a singular myopic focus on testing to get through phase 1.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I like this message board is that sometimes I learn things I did not know before.  That allows me to consider things I hadn’t considered previously, and in some small way helps me grow.

Wh-wha-wuuuuuuttt???

• Haha (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You just got blown up. Take a step back and breathe. You're exposing your irrationality and ignorance. It's a bad look. 

C'mon man, be nice. He's a research engineer who bases his opinions on ignoring facts that don't fit his preconceived notions, not feelz.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1