The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

If this turns out to be true, when can we go outside? 

Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find, but experts say pandemic could last through summer

Preliminary results from government lab experiments show that the coronavirus does not survive long in high temperatures and high humidity, and is quickly destroyed by sunlight, providing evidence from controlled tests of what scientists believed — but had not yet proved — to be true.

</snip>

The study found that the risk of “transmission from surfaces outdoors is lower during daylight” and under higher temperature and humidity conditions. “Sunlight destroys the virus quickly,” reads the briefing.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Whatnot78 said:

It’s because in Virginia, this week, Northam passed a whole buttload of laws in line with the liberal agenda.  It is political but more about trying to get VA conservatives to vote next election.  At least how I see it living in VA

No, the coronavirus infection rate is much higher in Maryland than in Virginia. Maryland counts all those infections while Virginia just aborts those people. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

First of all, I'm flattered you're thinking of me.

Second of all, you aren't paying attention with your "not one call" bullcrap. Our Governor said this week his plan is to implement a 20% paycut to all federal employees in the Aloha state starting May 1st. Now, I don't expect that's what it'll end up being. I expect something in the range more of a 5% or 10% paycut.

And guess what: I'm fine with that. Not 20%. In that case you're talking about mortgages, rents, and food on the table. But 5% or even 10% for a time I accept and understand. We teachers also bore the state's burden after the Great Recession with "Furlough Fridays," which were 18 Fridays teachers were forced not to work--meaning school closures--for a cumulative 8% paycut, which is significant. Any pay cut is significant in a state with the highest standard of living in the country.

Third of all, stop putting your problems on teachers. You guys over here seem to bemoan teachers and almost any government workers. I have no idea what most of you do over here, but by the sounds of it, most of you are in the private sector.

That was your choice.

Many of you likely chose to work in the private sector because you can make more money. And by the sounds of it, there's one or two of you who've retired pretty young, so you did.

Good for you.

If you just got into the private sector in the last few years, my guess is you're really hurting. And I am genuinely sorry. 

But the private sector is also inherently more volatile and you lack the job security you would have as... say... a teacher.

I still have a job and I thank God every day that both my wife and I still do--and in case you're wondering, my wife is in the private sector. I have been anticipating discussions about a cut in pay for awhile, and in-state, it came this week. Much like our "Furlough Fridays" when I used those as an extra day to surf and dealt with the blow to my bank account, I will do the same here. I will manage. And I will enjoy my Summer since in Hawai'i state schools would finish a month earlier than on the mainland, anyway... so my Summer will be coming relatively soon.

It's funny. Teaching has been my dream job since I was a Freshman in High School. I love it and I'm damn good at it.

As much as you and others might want to ridicule me for being a teacher, at the very least, since it's apparently such an easy job to do, I think more of you who are struggling in the private sector not getting a paycheck right now should reconsider and switch to a very rewarding and very stable career as a public school teacher. :thumbsup:

PS: Notice I said "public school teacher." My wife, a product of a private school, has tried to persuade me to teach at a Private school for YEARS where pay is higher... by a little. I would NEVER work at a Private school here, even Punahou, which is where Obama went. 

No Union.

No Job Security.

So maybe you and your Freebird/Sweet Home Alabama lovin should just consider being a teacher rather than pi$$ing and moaning about how good you think teacher's have it--your lifetime earnings might not be as high as what you're going to make in the private sector, but you'll keep you're job if you aren't utterly incompetent

Since this is my dream job, anyway, I know I at least love work! :beer:

These are stressful times, and I’m sorry to have caused PTSD regarding Furlough Fridays, but you missed the point. 

I appreciate the feedback on the impact to you personally, your thoughts on reductions in pay and impact on benefits.  One of the reasons I like this message board is that sometimes I learn things I did not know before.  That allows me to consider things I hadn’t considered previously, and in some small way helps me grow.

My point was that in these difficult times, there are those who can be considered as having more/better than others.  There are those with connections and resources that others do not have.  I don’t see where you disagree pd with that, in fact, it seems to be your perspective as well.  

For context, you’re anticipating a reduction in salary of 10%.  I won’t assume there will not be an impact on your other benefits, you’ve already taken me to the woodshed on the reduced income.  No one wants that, no one is happy about that, and I certainly don’t wish it upon you.  

That said, when considering haves and have nots, I’d think we would both agree that someone who lost their job, someone in hospitality, a waiter, a hair dresser, construction worker might, pound for pound, be worse off than you or me.  I don’t see how that’s controversial, a knock on teachers or something that requires extended debate.  I think you’re projecting.

I read what I wrote, see nothing close to whining about teachers and their deals, and have no beef with teachers, government employees or the like. None, zero, zip. That said, I stand by my commentary that when property and school tax bills come out, the contribution will not be reduced by 16-20% to offset a reduction in services and the fact that my income may/may not have dropped or gone away.   Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised, since the governor of NY and our president have encouraged, cajoled and twisted corporate arms to do more to help the people in need.  

You’ve been quite vocal about Joe 2020.  A substantial platform of his campaign deals with economic injustice, taxing the rich, and...haves v have nots.  The usual identity politics. Why get all bent out of shape when I simply pointed out the truth?  You’re a have, you just don’t know it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nope...I'm not of the "shoulda...woulda...coulda....finger pointing crowd".....the Feds, states and local governments were not prepared for a disaster like this...at the same time, who would think a 1918 type event would consume the US with today's technology across all industries?......your thoughts?....

George W Bush.

Bill Gates

Barack Obama

HHS Secretary Alex Azar

I think I am being fair in saying that the Bush and Obama administrations, well let's say any administration, would have been overwhelmed by this pandemic.  But I am not convinced that any previous administration would have been as bad as Trump.  It is still a fact that the HHS asked for $2 billion on Feb 5 for PPE and ventilators and that was cut by 75% by the White House,  Trump vastly low balled a $2.5 billion estimate for response on Feb 25, and all of January, February and early March was filled with happy talk, it is all under control it will go away with the heat in April, my rallies are safe...

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then states, regardless of party leadership, get a pass for unpreparedness?........shouldn't their leadership have contingency plans within reason for emergency prepardness?....

No, it's all Trump's fault.

48 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I didn't say that.  The national stockpile exists because it was understood that no state would be fully prepared for such a disaster.  Are you saying that this pandemic was within reason for the states to deal with?

And why was the stockpile depleted?  And who was responsible for repleting it?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, it's all Trump's fault.

And why was the stockpile depleted?  And who was responsible for repleting it?

Partially because it was shortchanged for years.  It would have been further shortchanged it Trump actually got what he asked for.  Congress gave him more.

The Federal Government is responsible for repleting it.

Edited by Scraps

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Partially because it was shortchanged for years.  It would have been further shortchanged it Trump actually got what he asked for.  Congress gave him more.

We're not dealing with "ifs" here.  What did happen is the H1N1 pandemic from 2009-2010 that depleted the stockpiles.  Obama's administration had 5+ years to replenish those stockpiles, but obviously didn't.  To push it off to a new admin, and then blame them for not replenishing them in 3 years, is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

LOL!  Stop with the "ifs."  It didn't happen.  What did happen is the H1N1 pandemic in 2009-2010 that depleted the stockpiles and which could have easily been replenished in the 6 years remaining of Obama's presidency.  You don't push something iike that off for the next administration and then blame them for it.

And the Republican majority congress under those years repeatedly authorized lower amounts of funding than the Obama Administration requested.  Where did a bunch of those Tea Party Republicans end up?  In the Trump Administration.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

That’s not what was said in the presser.  FEMA director said that in 93% of the country that there is  testing capacity within a 10 square mile radius.   

It’s not a “political back pat”.  It’s clear that by the sound of what you are implying and what many others believe that this seems to be a federal government issue.  It’s not

This is a state and local government logistical issue.  It’s up to state and local governments to fill in the gaps.  They know their states logistical hurdles better than the federal government.  It’s the federal governments role to provide support.  The idea that they will micromanage the entire operation is absurd.  

Which is why the Federal Government is allowing state and local governments to begin Phase one on their own timelines.

You are making this political like I am am finding fault with the feds. You lay blame for our very clear under testing on other governments. It is not a logistical government problem. It’s a matter of human resources, test types, and and overburdened care system. 

It’s not worth it to waste nurse time testing everyone because we need them doing other things like caring for patients. And it’s not worth putting them at risk for the same reason. 

The lack of serology testing makes the level of testing available and the TAT less helpful than we need. Also the swab testing requires nurses and more PPE, while exposing them to greater risk. 

And the system is so overburdened that most PCPs are saying “stay home” instead of testing unless they are at risk. 

So while there may technically be tests sitting around at many places, they are absolutely not ready to be done and tracked for every patient as recommended by the Open Up America plan. And if we are not testing those who are sick and tracking them, we are not following what I believe are good guidelines. 

Edited by shoshin

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

We're not dealing with "ifs" here.  What did happen is the H1N1 pandemic from 2009-2010 that depleted the stockpiles.  Obama's administration had 5+ years to replenish those stockpiles, but obviously didn't.  To push it off to a new admin, and then blame them for not replenishing them in 3 years, is ridiculous. 

The N95 mask has a shelf life of 5 years.  Given the amount of time Trump has been in office, this supply should have been pretty much replenished.  HHS under the Obama administration had a contract to produce 1.5 million masks per day.  It died under Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/federal-government-spent-millions-to-ramp-up-mask-readiness-but-that-isnt-helping-now/2020/04/03/d62dda5c-74fa-11ea-a9bd-9f8b593300d0_story.html

There was also a contract to produce low cost ventilators.

You're just trying to pin the blame on anyone other than the person who presides over this problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There's a lot of "what ifs" here so I guess I'll add one of my own. What if China had come out sometime in the 4th quarter of 2019 and stated to the world that they had a very dangerous virus that could pass from human to human? Countries around the world would have offered support and the WHO wouldn't have felt compelled to lie. I can imagine that some of us might be straining to remember that virus that happened in Wuhan around last Christmas. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

You are making this political like I am am finding fault with the feds. You lay blame for our very clear under testing on other governments. It is not a logistical government problem. It’s a matter of human resources, test types, and and overburdened care system. 

It’s not worth it to waste nurse time testing everyone because we need them doing other things like caring for patients. And it’s not worth putting them at risk for the same reason. 

The lack of serology testing makes the level of testing available and the TAT less helpful than we need. Also the swab testing requires nurses and more PPE, while exposing them to greater risk. 

And the system is so overburdened that most PCPs are saying “stay home” instead of testing unless they are at risk. 

So while there may technically be tests sitting around at many places, they are absolutely not ready to be done and tracked for every patient as recommended by the Open Up America plan. And if we are not testing those who are sick and tracking them, we are not following what I believe are good guidelines. 

How so?  You said “political back patting”.   I’m not making any of this political. I’m pointing out the facts and IT IS A LOGISTICAL ISSUE.

Do you honestly believe that Dr Fauci, Dr Birx and the CDC director are engaging in some sort of double speak?  You think they are politically backpatting as you are alleging?

I trust what they are saying much more so than whoever is saying that there isn’t enough testing for phase 1.   Which was what I was talking about.

Thats what you responded to.   I wasn’t making any other broader point than the trusted health experts unequivocally making the case they believed that there is enough testing for phase 1.

It reminds me about the hospital bedA and ventilator debate.  Remember?   The same people who were booting and hollering about not having enough are the same ones sounding the alarm bells on the testing.   Dr Birx and for that matter Trump pretty much always pushed back on that notion and they ended up being right.  Not only were they right but those that were complaining weren’t even close to being right.  Thankfully

Also, Im not sure what makes you believe you understand the situation better than they do when it comes to testing?  

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Do you honestly believe that Dr Fauci, Dr Birx and the CDC director are engaging in some sort of double speak?  You think they are politically backpatting as you are alleging?

I think you don't have a clue what Fauci was saying.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

So Repubs voted along party lines to cut funding?

OK, I'll answer.  The Dems controlled the Senate for all of Obama's term.  The Repubs only controlled the House starting in 2011.  The Dems could have funded it in 2010 when they controlled both.

And I think we can dispel with the notion that you're a conservative.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

OK, I'll answer.  The Dems controlled the Senate for all of Obama's term.  The Repubs only controlled the House starting in 2011.  The Dems could have funded it in 2010 when they controlled both.

And I think we can dispel with the notion that you're a conservative.

The materials in the stockpile have life spans.  For the N95 mask, that is 5 years.  Republicans controlled both houses over that time when Obama was president and Trump asked for less than was appropriated.  Facts suck.

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The materials in the stockpile have life spans.  For the N95 mask, that is 5 years.  Republicans controlled both houses over that time when Obama was president and Trump asked for less than was appropriated.  Facts suck.

Again, the Repubs didn't control Congress under Obama.  Oh and N95 mask functionality doesn't decrease and like other expiration dates in medicine, it's designed to make more money for the manufacturer.

Edited by Doc

25 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think you don't have a clue what Fauci was saying.

He does. A good tip is that when someone is so emotionally compromised on a position as you are on this (Orange Man Bad always!”), you’re going to filter comments through your own warped cognitive dissonance. 

Take a step back and breathe. 

• Like (+1) 2